Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Another reason "African American" doesn't always feel right is because not all Black people are African American. Some have ancestry from the Caribbean, or some continent that isn't Africa. They might identify as Black, but someone from, say, Barbados, is about as African as I am. (I was born in Russia.) Secondly, not all people of African descent are American. "African American" often gets used as a more PC "catch all" term for "Black". Well, it starts to sound ridiculous when referring to Black people from other countries like the U.K. or Australia, for example.

Which brings me to another topic: I use the term Black to refer to people in the U.S. who self-identify as Black. I go to a school for the deaf, and sometimes, during events that are open to the public, we have a sign language to voice interpreter. When I sign "Black", the voice interpreter almost always says "African American." It drives me nuts. If I said "Black," I want the voice interpreter to say "Black" too. To be fair, they tend to do it with everything. If I sign "wheelchair", they often say something like "mobility device". But honestly, in the process of trying to be more considerate, we lose precision and accuracy ("mobility device" can refer to many more devices than just a wheelchair") and forget to ask the people we are actually referring to about their feelings on what they like to be called.

Most Black people I know call themselves Black. It seems like whoever came up with the term "African American" wasn't thoroughly entrenched in Black culture, or if they were, they were a minority within the majority, where the majority of people just say "Black".
Blacks in Barbados are of African descent. In fact, they're generally blacker than most black Americans that i know. At least in my experience they are.

Secondly, most blacks say black. I strongly consider myself an African American, yet, if you ask me what race i am (as if it isn't obvious enough), i'll say "black." I don't know who came up with the term "African American," but i like it and find it highly appropriate. Some blacks don't like it....that's their option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's that Girl View Post
Everybody has their own identity which makes them unique. I am an African American. No one has the right to define me; I define myself. If you do not know what to call a person with black skin, then just ask them. I call myself African American because I am an American citizen whose ancestors came from Africa. I am proud of my heritage. The history of my people did not just start in America. Our country is a land full of immigrants. Nobody gets confuse or upset when other cultures in America define themselves, so we can define ourselves too.
If that's how you describe yourself and self-identify, then that's what I'll call you.

I would like to point out that a lot of people do take issue with hyphenating the word "American." I used to describe myself as Russian-American (before I actually lived in Russia and realized how American I am) and people used to think it was strange I didn't just call myself American. If we're getting technical, I immigrated to the U.S. in 1993, so I'm closer to Russia than most modern-day Black Americans are to Africa.

It seems like this all boils down to appearance. If I was Asian-looking, I'm sure people would be much quicker to call me some kind of hyphenated American (Chinese, Cambodian, whatever). I think the second someone looks non-white people are quicker to call them Japanese- or Syrian- or Ethiopian-American. But if someone looks white and speaks English without any foreign accent, they're much more likely to get called American, even if they spent part of their lives in another country.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Blacks in Barbados are of African descent. In fact, they're generally blacker than most black Americans that i know. At least in my experience they are.

Secondly, most blacks say black. I strongly consider myself an African American, yet, if you ask me what race i am (as if it isn't obvious enough), i'll say "black." I don't know who came up with the term "African American," but i like it and find it highly appropriate. Some blacks don't like it....that's their option.
In my experience, Black people from the Caribbean have corrected me when I called them African American, usually with the line "I'm not African American, I'm Black."

I just try to call people what they want to be called. If I'm talking to a single person, or a small group of people, I'll match their terminology. I apply that logic to someone of any demographic. But if I am referring to people of African descent within the U.S. to a room full of people or readers on a forum, and I need a term that will be clear and precise, I'll use "Black."

Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why do most of you care? What's this thing w/ making other people call themselves what you feel comfortable using? All this complaining about what Blacks/AA/etc want to be called amounts to spite.

It's like complaining about someone wanting to be called "Jim" instead of "James" or "Jimmy." Either you respect the person you're talking to enough to address them how they want to be addressed or you don't and you'll call them whatever you want. Don't sugar coat your choice by complaining about why someone chooses to be called what they want to be called.

It's like the whole John or Mr. Doe scenario. If they want to be called Mr. Doe and you call them John, or if they want to be called John and you call them Mr. Doe, you're putting your preference over theirs. Same goes with Black or African American.

That said, there are scenarios where you can't go by someone's personal preference. If you're in a room of 50 people, what are you going to do--take a vote? Most people, when they can't ask every person, play it safe with "Mr. Doe." What's the safer term in regards to Black vs. African American?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm truly curious:

Why is it that folks don't understand what the term African-American means?

It's explained time and time and time and time again (a term used to identify US Blacks whose ancestors were brought over during the slave trade/slavery).

Despite this explanation, folks will chime in:

-What would you call a white person from South Africa? Aren't they African-American?
-What about Haitians, Jamaicans, etc?
-What about African immigrants?
-What about Blacks in Europe?

This clearly shows that you don't even know what you're talking about. How can you question what someone chooses to call themselves if you don't even know what the term means??

Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
How does the terminology come up in conversation? I'm white but I never have to state that - only on a forum where people can't see me . . . why are people having to refer to people as "African Americans" or "blacks?" What is the relevant context in day-to-day life?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

It's like the whole John or Mr. Doe scenario. If they want to be called Mr. Doe and you call them John, or if they want to be called John and you call them Mr. Doe, you're putting your preference over theirs. Same goes with Black or African American.

That said, there are scenarios where you can't go by someone's personal preference. If you're in a room of 50 people, what are you going to do--take a vote? Most people, when they can't ask every person, play it safe with "Mr. Doe." What's the safer term in regards to Black vs. African American?
Black=encompasses the entire race
African-American=a specific group of Blacks

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
And some of you black people are so quick to jump on the African bangwagon, not realizing that most REAL african people have a disdain for Black Americans and want nothing to do with you.
I called myself Russian American till I lived in Russia over two summers and realized I am very culturally removed from the Russian culture and very much entrenched in the American culture.

I would love to see African American people do the same with a country of their choice on the African continent. Most of them will probably come back realizing just how American they are.

But all that said, it doesn't matter because if I wanted to still be called Russian American, that's my right. If someone wants to be called African American, then that's their right too.

It is up to each individual how they identify and what they prefer to be called.

There is also something to be said for the fact that the term African-American has taken on a new meaning beyond being just American of African descent, much like a black board doesn't refer to a board that is black, or ice cream doesn't refer to cream and ice.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm truly curious:

Why is it that folks don't understand what the term African-American means?

It's explained time and time and time and time again (a term used to identify US Blacks whose ancestors were brought over during the slave trade/slavery
They do understand it, they're just stirring up trouble. They really don't care what term we use so long as they have a say in it. But God forbid WE make up the term....then it's a problem. (and i'm not talking about all white people...but the ones that play these silly ass games and think they're being slick about it).

And you're right, it has been explained time and time again, which is why it's time to stop explaining. I don't explain anymore. Stopped doing it years ago. I simply tell them if they don't like the term, then go pound sand. But please, leave me alone because i don't want to talk about it. Then i cut the conversation off and keep it moving as if it never happened. I hate to be that way, but i'm not gonna keep playing these bullsh*t games with these folks.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Africa is a huge continent, where is your ancestry from on the continent of Africa?

You can call yourself anything you want, but when you travel outside of the United States, everyone - and I mean everyone will see you as American first, with African ancestry.
Not true. Some - some - Africans (Senegalese and Nigerians to be specific) were very much down with my self-description as an African from abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies