Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

You should be able to identify as being whatever race you choose, no matter what you look like or what race you were born in. You can choose your sex and gender now right, even barring surgery. Take that one step further and you could probably choose your age. Identify as a minor and get public services and free education( although going to school would probably be a bummer if you're over 30 years of age biologically). Or choose to be 70 plus and get social security and medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:17 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
When my daughter was in elementary school, someone told her it sounded racist when she described someone as black. They said she should say African-American. These were white kids telling her that. I remember someone told me it was racist to refer to my friend as Mexican instead of Hispanic, but my friend's family is from Mexico and she doesn't like being called Hispanic. Now many prefer Latino/Latina. Why do we keep moving the goal posts here? Each race pick a term and stick with it so people aren't called racist for saying something that used to be the nicer term (i.e., negro used to be the nice term, but now is considered old fashioned and therefore racist).
Agreed.

It's what some people call "minorities" that keep wanting their group names changed. OTOH: "anglo" white people people have used "white" as OUR label for 100's of years.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
This was a good thread, and I'm glad it was bumped because OP made a point that I hadn't noticed last time. Africa is a large and very diverse continent. Kenyans, Nigerians, Moroccans, and South Africans are all very different. There is a local Jewish Rabbi here who was born in S. Africa and likes to joke that he is 'African American.'

Another term I can't stand is "people of color." It arbitrarily divides the world into "white" and "non-white." It is much more racist than some of the terms that have been declared off limits by the PC crowd. Yet if you listen to, say, NPR for more than a couple of hours, you're likely to hear the term 'people of color.'

Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliged Friend View Post
Can several races be the same natural born citizens?
yep. "natural born citizen" is simply a citizen at birth, not naturalized. it has zero to do with race.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42097.pdf

Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
They used the term natural born in the Constitution. They did not say born a citizen or a citizen. They specified natural born.
"…he who was subsequently born a citizen of a state, became at the moment of his birth a citizen of the United States. Therefore every person born within the United States, its territories or districts, whether the parents are citizens or aliens, is a natural born citizen in the sense of the Constitution, and entitled to all the rights and privileges appertaining to that capacity."

A View of the Constitution of the United States, by US District Attorney William Rawle (1825)

for more see:

http://www.obamabirthbook.com/http:/...tes-1787-1825/

Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Natural born meant born into the same race from generation to generation. Different races cannot be the same natural born species. its the same as different kinds of Ducks.

Some how we lost the meaning of natural born. The United States was formed by one race of people. They are the natural or native citizens.

They used the term natural born in the Constitution. They did not say born a citizen or a citizen. They specified natural born.

It is my belief only one race can be President. The 14th Amendment never mentions natural born citizens.

African Americans gain citizenship via this Amendment not the original Constitution.

African Americans and the "Posterity" are not the same natural kind or natural born.

Natural meant Race.
Really? Seriously? ALL of us started out in Africa back in the day. Sheesh!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I've never liked the term "African-American", it's too long and PC. I use the word "black" and so do most of the black people I know. (I'm not black.)

Old 01-09-2014, 08:31 AM

62,934 posts, read 29,126,415 times
One is only an African-American if they were born in Africa and then attained citizenship here.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm one of them. I know the specific country and ethnic group of my origins. So to use a name that encompasses an entire continent of diverse peoples seems absurd. Personally I prefer American, Black American or Ghanaian American.
Some blacks insist: 'I'm not African-American' *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...m-1331589.html - broken link)

Who cares though....and why? Personally I could care less if you refereed to yourself as zippitydodaday-American or whatever. I have no desire to control what and how others choose to define THEMSELVES. When I hear people say that they have a problem with what other people call themselves.....who made them the arbiter? Life is too short.....geez

Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM

204 posts, read 309,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
One is only an African-American if they were born in Africa and then attained citizenship here.
True DAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies