Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

I'm one of them. I know the specific country and ethnic group of my origins. So to use a name that encompasses an entire continent of diverse peoples seems absurd. Personally I prefer American, Black American or Ghanaian American.
Some blacks insist: 'I'm not African-American' *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/some-blacks-insist-im-1331589.html - broken link)

Quote:
The labels used to describe Americans of African descent mark the movement of a people from the slave house to the White House. Today, many are resisting this progression by holding on to a name from the past: "black.

For this group — some descended from U.S. slaves, some immigrants with a separate history — "African-American" is not the sign of progress hailed when the term was popularized in the late 1980s. Instead, it's a misleading connection to a distant culture.

The debate has waxed and waned since African-American went mainstream, and gained new significance after the son of a black Kenyan and a white American moved into the White House. President Barack Obama's identity has been contested from all sides, renewing questions that have followed millions of darker Americans:

What are you? Where are you from? And how do you fit into this country?

"I prefer to be called black," said Shawn Smith, an accountant from Houston. "How I really feel is, I'm American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
I personally have always disagreed with people refering to their heritage as a part of their citizenship. If I said, I am an Irish American, people would look at me like I was nuts. I appreciate when someone of any heritage calls themselves simply as an "American".

Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I read that article yesterday. Very interesting with good points from various sides.

I actually recall that period in the 1970s when "Afro-American" was in vogue. I guess that the "Afro" style of big hair was also popular at the same time.

Anyway, a nice brief history of various terms that have been used since 1960 or so.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
I use the term black, since I have no links to Africa.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I think its more of a fact that most black Americans are mixed with a white man or woman here and there.

They are hardly African. People don't call me an Irish American, even though many of my ancestors came from there, and I have an Irish last name.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I personally have always disagreed with people refering to their heritage as a part of their citizenship. If I said, I am an Irish American, people would look at me like I was nuts. I appreciate when someone of any heritage calls themselves simply as an "American".
Same with me. My Father was an Irishman who became an American. I was born in Houston and am no more Irish than a sidewinder.

I think the hyphenated BS is nothing more than a trendy PC way for WASPs to label minorities.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
All humans originated from Africa so no matter your ethnic "origins", you could technically throw African in front of it. As far as the term African-American as used in the U.S., I don't use it either. Race/Color is coincidental and only used to divide. I'm black as far as identification purposes go but due to the length and effectiveness of the slave trade/slavery, I have no definitive evidence of what my complete lineage is. One day, everybody will be brown anyway so who cares.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
All humans originated from Africa so no matter your ethnic "origins", you could technically throw African in front of it. As far as the term African-American as used in the U.S., I don't use it either. Race/Color is coincidental and only used to divide. I'm black as far as identification purposes go but due to the length and effectiveness of the slave trade/slavery, I have no definitive evidence of what my complete lineage is. One day, everybody will be brown anyway so who cares.
Correction. All known humans originated from Africa. It is possible for simultaneous evolution in different parts of the world. But all known tested DNA strands have shown to originate from Africa through their mothers.

We don't know everything for fact, but lets say, its a 90% possibility that all humans originated from Africa. Science is never definitive.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Very interesting read, and I am surprised to see something like that come out of AP. I find incredibly heartening some of the statements, in particular that of Shawn Smith, accountant from TX who says, 'How I really feel is, I'm American.'

I grew up in the 60's & 70's and as a young kid 'Negro' was still used a lot. Some older relatives used 'colored,' always with a tone that to me seemed perjorative. 'Black' was the term commonly used by my elders who seemed to want to convey a sense of respect, so I adopted that term as mine.

Then as time went on, 'African American' came along, and to me it felt manipulative. It was like the Jacksons and Sharptons had come up with yet another way to induce and/or highlight white guilt. So I stuck with the term 'black' and never used 'African American.' Although I'd admit to having used 'African American' once or twice, in 'proper company' situations (as the student quoted well puts it), where I was worried about what the other person might think. But every time I used it, I felt a little silly after.

From what I've read, anthropologists generally agree that all of human kind can trace its origin back to Africa. Aren't all Americans thus 'African American?'

Old 02-05-2012, 10:33 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
That will put the tanning business's out of business. Or is just wishful thinking??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies