Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM

11 posts, read 8,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
I personally prefer using the term African American often because it relates to who I am specifically. Unfortunately, this society uses the term African American for anyone who is visually of sub Saharan African descent. I've seen people refer to Black Brits as African American! When, it refers to a very specific set of people....those who are descendants of people who were enslaved in the United States. We don't know specifically what countries in Africa out ancestors came from. However, African immigrants do, so they can refer to themselves as Nigerian American, or Ethiopian American, etc...

As for referring to myself as just Black, all the time... I couldn't do it. It says nothing about my heritage, or my peoples history. Its bad enough that all people with some sort of African lineage are lumped together, with no regard for our many cultural differences. When someone says they are Jamaican American it says something about them, that's different when someone else says they are Haitian American. Yes we are all visually "BLACK", and I'm not denying that, or ashamed of it. However it is important that I'm not view as just a color all the time.

To be African American is to have a certain legacy and heritage apart of you, and specific stories and experiences. To be Black also means we share certain experiences, achievements, setbacks, and gain as a race. However the two are not synonymous.

I may not have my ancestors language, religion, or customs, and to some that is why I should not consider myself African American. But, I do, because it is my hair, pigment, and aesthetics received my from African ancestors that still determine how I'm treated daily regardless of the fact that I am culturally more American than I am African. I will not just forget or ignore my African ancestors, it is because of their strength, that I even exist as an American.

I love your response, especially the last paragraph. You wrote exactly how I feel. I am proud to be an American, and I am proud of my African heritage. We have a unique and rich history, and I choose not to diminish any part of my heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,090,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I personally have always disagreed with people refering to their heritage as a part of their citizenship. If I said, I am an Irish American, people would look at me like I was nuts. I appreciate when someone of any heritage calls themselves simply as an "American".
This sums it up for me too...if you are an American citizen,you are American..end of story imho.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,852,048 times
I grew up in the south during the Black Power movement. "Black" was pride, so I guess I never really understood why the change to African American. I am a volunteer firefight with an immigrant from Africa. Is he an African American? He's white.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
I personally prefer using the term African American often because it relates to who I am specifically. Unfortunately, this society uses the term African American for anyone who is visually of sub Saharan African descent. I've seen people refer to Black Brits as African American! When, it refers to a very specific set of people....those who are descendants of people who were enslaved in the United States. We don't know specifically what countries in Africa out ancestors came from. However, African immigrants do, so they can refer to themselves as Nigerian American, or Ethiopian American, etc...

As for referring to myself as just Black, all the time... I couldn't do it. It says nothing about my heritage, or my peoples history. Its bad enough that all people with some sort of African lineage are lumped together, with no regard for our many cultural differences. When someone says they are Jamaican American it says something about them, that's different when someone else says they are Haitian American. Yes we are all visually "BLACK", and I'm not denying that, or ashamed of it. However it is important that I'm not view as just a color all the time.

To be African American is to have a certain legacy and heritage apart of you, and specific stories and experiences. To be Black also means we share certain experiences, achievements, setbacks, and gain as a race. However the two are not synonymous.

I may not have my ancestors language, religion, or customs, and to some that is why I should not consider myself African American. But, I do, because it is my hair, pigment, and aesthetics received my from African ancestors that still determine how I'm treated daily regardless of the fact that I am culturally more American than I am African. I will not just forget or ignore my African ancestors, it is because of their strength, that I even exist as an American.
You refer to African American as having a history dating back to slavery. So, President Obama should not be referred to as an African American because he is not a descendant of slavery. But, he IS from Africa. What DO we call him?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 PM

347 posts, read 696,339 times
Why do people always bring up non blacks from Africa being grouped into African American like it's some sort of impossible quandary that throws a wrench into the African American label. They know what country they are from...there is no need to call them African American. Problem solved. Sheesh

Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,488,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
You refer to African American as having a history dating back to slavery. So, President Obama should not be referred to as an African American because he is not a descendant of slavery. But, he IS from Africa. What DO we call him?
African but-not-really African-American.

[the absurdities of these descriptions should be apparent]

Old 02-05-2012, 04:11 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,374,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post

First of all most black people who call themselves African-American, Have never been to Africa, don't eat or know how to cook african food, don't speak a African language, don't practice a indigenous religion. Nothing about them is African, hell most of the them probably couldn't point out countries on a blank African map.
So can they call themselves African-American after they've done these things?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 8,255 times
Everybody has their own identity which makes them unique. I am an African American. No one has the right to define me; I define myself. If you do not know what to call a person with black skin, then just ask them. I call myself African American because I am an American citizen whose ancestors came from Africa. I am proud of my heritage. The history of my people did not just start in America. Our country is a land full of immigrants. Nobody gets confuse or upset when other cultures in America define themselves, so we can define ourselves too.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's that Girl View Post
Everybody has their own identity which makes them unique. I am an African American. No one has the right to define me; I define myself. If you do not know what to call a person with black skin, then just ask them. I call myself African American because I am an American citizen whose ancestors came from Africa. I am proud of my heritage. The history of my people did not just start in America. Our country is a land full of immigrants. Nobody gets confuse or upset when other cultures in America define themselves, so we can define ourselves too.
Not sure I can ask everyone. I know I've never been asked what *I* should be called. My people immigrated here after the United States had been established. Guess that means the history of my people did not start in America either.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Why do people always bring up non blacks from Africa being grouped into African American like it's some sort of impossible quandary that throws a wrench into the African American label. They know what country they are from...there is no need to call them African American. Problem solved. Sheesh
But I don't always know what country a Black person is from. I also can't know by looking what country a white person is from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies