Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 11:24 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Six nuclear warheads on cruise missiles were mistakenly carried on a flight from North Dakota to Louisiana last week, prompting a major investigation, military officials have confirmed.

The plane took the cruise missiles from Minot Air Force Base to Barksdale Air Force Base for decommissioning Thursday, the Air Force said.

"This is a major gaffe, and it's going to cause some heads to roll down the line," said Don Shepperd, a retired Air Force major general and military analyst for CNN.

The warheads should have been removed from the missiles before they were attached to the B-52 bomber, according to military officials.

The crew was unaware that the plane was carrying nuclear weapons, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the extraordinary sensitivity and security surrounding the case.

Air Force probes mistaken transport of nuclear warheads - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 02:34 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,402,807 times
I first read this at work and I sit next to a guy that used to handle nukes when he was in the Air Force.. From what he told me this isn't a really big deal and I think the rest of us assume they take MUCH better care of these things than they actually do... I was amazed at how nonchalant he was with this and he actually said it would be easy to do this...

Old 09-05-2007, 04:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the warheads in question are never activated unless a strike is imminent. These were just very heavy dud bombs unless armed, right?

I mean, if a nuke were to accidentally roll off the wing and hit --say, Berkeley, or Cambridge, Mass -- nothing much would happen except maybe a smashed bong or some spilled sun tea. Or a startled nude volleyball game.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:41 PM

good question and I'll have to ask my coworker tomorrow... I used to ASSume that, but now I don't know what to think about the nuclear weapons program..
I used to think it was more of an elite cadre of individuals, especially with the PRP program and all. Now I'm beginning to think it was basically just another job that happened to be around seriously nasty things that can make your day suck really, REALLY bad...

Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM

478 posts, read 960,006 times
Something about this whole story seems very odd. 1.) Why would they announce this even in the first place to the public and 2). Why are the announcing to the world that they are grounding all fighter and bomber planes on the 14th?

I thought we were supposed to be at "war", no?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Below is the original (although updated) article from armytimes.com and I think they'd be the most informative as it's their story. The cnn.com article seemed a little too flowery compared to the armytimes.com one and, well, I just don't have a lot of faith in cnn....

Commander disciplined for nuclear mistake - Military News, Army News, opinions, editorials, news from Iraq, photos, reports - Army Times

that no-fly thing is only for stateside fighters and bombers and is a very common occurence after a major oops..

Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 PM

478 posts, read 960,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Below is the original (although updated) article from armytimes.com and I think they'd be the most informative as it's their story. The cnn.com article seemed a little too flowery compared to the armytimes.com one and, well, I just don't have a lot of faith in cnn....

Commander disciplined for nuclear mistake - Military News, Army News, opinions, editorials, news from Iraq, photos, reports - Army Times

that no-fly thing is only for stateside fighters and bombers and is a very common occurence after a major oops..
I still don't understand why they would broadcast it to the world, though. Especially the part about the planes here in the U.S. being grounded on the 14th. Seems like a security issue. But then again, an open border with Mexico and now Mexican trucks coming through on our roadways seems like a
security issue also... but what the hell, nothing makes sense anymore - so I guess it's all par for the course.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 PM

exactly, it's all a crazy, Crazy world

I'm sure there are planes ready and waiting to go for an emergency, that's pretty much SOP everywhere

Old 09-05-2007, 06:52 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the warheads in question are never activated unless a strike is imminent. These were just very heavy dud bombs unless armed, right?

I mean, if a nuke were to accidentally roll off the wing and hit --say, Berkeley, or Cambridge, Mass -- nothing much would happen except maybe a smashed bong or some spilled sun tea. Or a startled nude volleyball game.
Yeah. They were saying it was a serious error but not dangerous cause it's not possible to detonate due to them not being armed at that time.

The plane was moving missles and the warheads were supposed to be taken off, but in reality they weren't.

Not a big problem imo. Announcing to the world all fighters and bombers will be grounded is the stupidest thing ever though.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:06 PM

149 posts, read 548,685 times
Years ago they dropped a couple off of planes flying out of Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC - they fell into some fields and were buried quite a few feet down - no harm done in the end. Just a big embarrassment for the military.

The Full Story Behind the Goldsboro Incident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies