Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So now its more important to remain on the moral high ground then to walk away from a bad investment?

How many millionaires walk away from their investments. Hell even Trump, darling of the crazed birther and right wing, declared bankruptcy.
No it's more important to set an example to my children that your word means something. You teach yours to screw others over if you want to. Your choice. I don't give a rats ass what some millionaire does or Trump does only what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 02:30 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Folks who are in enough hard times to qualify for HFH are going to be shaky at the best. And when hard times hit us all, they're going to be the first to really get into deep water fast.

I feel very sad for those people, and I hope some have happy endings. Some won't, but the poor are always among us, no matter where we live in the world.

There were 2 times in my life that I would have applied with HFH if it had existed. I eventually was able to buy a home both times, and I've owned 5 of them now over my life. Thank God I was never reduced to living with my family in a car, but only through His Grace it was prevented, once.
Anyone can hit the bottom of the barrel, but not everyone bounces. I don't believe anyone is guaranteed they will always be in circumstances where they are always completely safe from losing everything.

Last edited by banjomike; 02-07-2012 at 02:40 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now, now. They do tend to help with the painting after all is built.
I've seen at least that with the 3 projects I volunteered for.
Yes, to be fair, the times I saw them the most was for the cosmetic/touch-up type stuff. Not like the roofing or framing. More like the painting and maybe some fixture stuff. A few times I saw no one at all ever.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachiepants View Post
Simple fact. If you don't earn it, you won't appreciate it. Stuff you get for free is always taken for granted until it one day occurs to you that you are entitled to it.
Generally, but i also depends on the person. That's not universally true although it has a lot of truth in it.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Lightbulb priorities in outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But this is not about mortgage companies and banks, it's about Habitat for Humanity, a non profit. Habitat doesn't benefit as they can put others in that home that can make the payments. Habitat's name is on the deed, not the mortgage payers here.
yes but the underlying sentiment here is that all who have a HFH home are "lazy takers"...

That is ridiculous.

And I am sick of 9th grade mentality posters here who say "its not fair", then pick on poor people to say the are the reason for all America's problems. .

I find Wall Street fraud to be far more enraging (and indeed illegal) than a poor single Mom who needs a home trying to move out of a drug infested neighborhood and better her life for her children. In S. Florida HFH homes helped many single Moms start over after leaving abusive relationships. It is a good program.

And my point is there are some who take advantage in every program, proportionally and financially I have an issue far more with someone like this....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_S._Fuld,_Jr.
On November 10, 2008 Fuld transferred his Florida mansion to his wife Kathleen for $100 in order to protect the house from potential legal actions against him. They had bought it four years earlier for $13.56 million.[23][24]

than someone like this:
Rachel is a 29 year old single mother with two daughters. She is employed full time and is working toward completing her college education. Rachel joined the IDA Program because she wanted the opportunity to develop a financial strategy for herself as well as set an example for her two daughters. Rachel decided to use her savings toward the purchase of her first home. She received financial management training from USU Extension, completed homeownership training with Habitat for Humanity, and her personal case management was provided by Financial Vital Signs.

Utah Individual Development Account Network - Success Stories

research it, poor people are not the enemy here. America needs to wake up.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I just read that in Cleveland Ohio Habitat for Humanity has foreclosed on 8 home owners and will foreclose on another 25 if they don't begin making mortgage payments. In some cases the owners have stopped making mortgage payments for 3 years. HFH has kept making insurance and tax payments for the owners to help them avoid foreclosure but many have just taken advantage of the organization and done nothing to try to avoid the foreclosures. The foreclosure rate among HFH owners is actually much higher than the national average. Many also do damage to the properties.
HFH is willing to meet with homeowners and to try to help them set up payment schedules but some just don't seem interested. So what are your opinions on this? considering that the owners get their homes at cost with financing they wouldn't normally be able to get it seems foolish they'd just give that up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"The foreclosure rate among HFH owners is actually much higher than the national average. Many also do damage to the properties."

Not the least surprised, if true. People tend not to respect things that are just handed to them. If you want something, go out and earn it yourself.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Not the least surprised, if true. People tend not to respect things that are just handed to them. If you want something, go out and earn it yourself.
You didn't read the whole thread, did you?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Folks who are in enough hard times to qualify for HFH are going to be shaky at the best. And when hard times hit us all, they're going to be the first to really get into deep water fast.

I feel very sad for those people, and I hope some have happy endings. Some won't, but the poor are always among us, no matter where we live in the world.

There were 2 times in my life that I would have applied with HFH if it had existed. I eventually was able to buy a home both times, and I've owned 5 of them now over my life. Thank God I was never reduced to living with my family in a car, but only through His Grace it was prevented, once.
Anyone can hit the bottom of the barrel, but not everyone bounces. I don't believe anyone is guaranteed they will always be in circumstances where they are always completely safe from losing everything.
Nice post. Good to see someone who has a heart here. makes the world a better place to live in .

Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You didn't read the whole thread, did you?
Gee, what makes you say that?

Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thank goodness your particular brand of morality is the exception, and not the rule.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

He is just brave enough to stand up and say it (and endure the large far-left verbal tongue lashing jibberish). There are a great many of us that believe that way. There IS a thing called 'the silent majority'. For some of us, we choose our non-profit organizations to which we donate (and sometimes with quite sizable sums), silently, usually based on viewing their success rate, and political viewpoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies