Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I read your link and find that your comment about younger kids seems to be yours, alone, since we all know that those younger kids have to wait for the workers who move into Boomers' jobs get there. It is those lower jobs that the younger ones will get to fill if they even get jobs. We all know that too many of our employers are letting attrition take care of job cutting for them.
Two people close to me retired in 2011. They both turned 65 and were eligible for SS. In fact, they were hanging onto the job for those reasons alone. BOTH jobs were filled, soon after. So much for the idea of attrition. If that were happening, we wouldn't see 257K jobs added in January 2012, and 3 million jobs over last 22 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Two people close to me retired in 2011. They both turned 65 and were eligible for SS. In fact, they were hanging onto the job for those reasons alone. BOTH jobs were filled, soon after. So much for the idea of attrition. If that were happening, we wouldn't see 257K jobs added in January 2012, and 3 million jobs over last 22 months.
Some jobs have to be filled. Of course. Some don't. Many don't. Many aren't. But when was this ever about retiree's. Millions of jobs have literally been ripped from peoples fingers and sent offshore. Millions. Many tens of millions actually. You can't finesse that kind of bald reality. Still people try... ... why? Why is it so important to try and convince people that its all in their minds and things really are pretty ok so why so glum chum?

H

Old 02-06-2012, 02:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Some jobs have to be filled. Of course. Some don't. Many don't. Many aren't. But when was this ever about retiree's. Millions of jobs have literally been ripped from peoples fingers and sent offshore. Millions. Many tens of millions actually. You can't finesse that kind of bald reality. Still people try... ... why? Why is it so important to try and convince people that its all in their minds and things really are pretty ok so why so glum chum?

H
What is your definition of many? What percentage of higher waged jobs don't have to be back filled when a 65 year old retires?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What is your definition of many? What percentage of higher waged jobs don't have to be back filled when a 65 year old retires?
Clearly I was talking about jobs on the whole, and so is the o.p. but... since you want to go there. It is common knowledge that America's stunning productivity gains since 2008 have largely been through attrition and the resultant increase in workload on those employee's that remain. That's the private sector where 75% of American's get their paychecks. In another thread there is a planned 5% decrease of Federal employee's that will be accomplished entirely through the retirement of older workers. What is the Federal workforce? A couple million? 5% of that... I'd say that qualifies as "many". And that's just the obvious and fairly transparent government employment picture.

H

Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Clearly I was talking about jobs on the whole, and so is the o.p. but... since you want to go there. It is common knowledge that America's stunning productivity gains since 2008 have largely been through attrition and the resultant increase in workload on those employee's that remain. That's the private sector where 75% of American's get their paychecks. In another thread there is a planned 5% decrease of Federal employee's that will be accomplished entirely through the retirement of older workers. What is the Federal workforce? A couple million? 5% of that... I'd say that qualifies as "many". And that's just the obvious and fairly transparent government employment picture.

H
Common knowledge, lets post facts to back up our assertions.

People are retiring from jobs at a rate of over 6000 to 10,000 per day. Young kids will get jobs because of that.

Yes or no.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Common knowledge, lets post facts to back up our assertions.

People are retiring from jobs at a rate of over 6000 to 10,000 per day. Young kids will get jobs because of that.

Yes or no.
That is not FACT..that's from an article. Don't ask for facts and then post numbers from an article.

10K per day retiring is more than were born in 1947 turning 65 this year.
I pointed that out to you earlier.

Only 1 million additional SS beneficiaries were added each year 2009-2011 and you think nearly 4 million will retire this year ?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is not FACT..that's from an article. Don't ask for facts and then post numbers from an article.

10K per day retiring is more than were born in 1947 turning 65 this year.
I pointed that out to you earlier.
Pew research and AARP, two completely different sources.

Have differing sources, or just conjecture and opinion?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Pew research and AARP, two completely different sources.

Have differing sources, or just conjecture and opinion?
And you consider that FACT ?
Those are polls.

I would consider data coming from SS directly as fact.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And you consider that FACT ?
Those are polls.

I would consider data coming from SS directly as fact.
That somewhere between 6000 and 10000 Americans are turning 65 every day, yeah.

That all but about 30% of them retire on that day, yeah.

AARP is one of the best factual sources on retired Americans and seniors.

At least I have provided something to back up my opinion. Where as the opposition......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies