Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If Nixon would have won in 1960 there would have never been a Vietnam War and the Cold War would have ended sooner.

We would also never have heard of "Jimmy Carter".
You're kidding, right?

Kennedy wanted to get out of Vietnam while we were still in the 'advisory' stage. I believe that is the main reason he was assinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
So JFK put himself in the position to be blackmailed or expose potential security secrets and people don't think it is an issue. They think it was "just an affair".
He would have denied the whole thing. His word against a 19 yo's. Who ya gonna believe, the extremely popular POTUS or a 19 yo intern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Yeahh...we may have to apologize to clinton! JFK did not think twice about taking this girls' virginity, and doing it all at our White House.
You know this for sure? Have you read the book? Just askin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually, for those of you who have stated that 19 is an adult, that wasn't necessarily so in 1962-ish. Most states still considered 21 the age of majority. The change to 18 came later in the decade into the early 70's, partially in response to the draft age (which was 19, you just registered when you were 18).
Many states required parental signatures for marriage prior to 21 (especially for men, PA allowed women to marry at 18 but guys had to have their parents sign until 21) and colleges were still acting in loco parentis and setting curfews and dress codes for their under 21 students.

Into the early 60's young women and men (but not so much, that pesky double standard) who came to DC to work as interns or for some government agencies lived in supervised housing. Think of it as a dorm.

And, as always, private behavior illuminates public behavior.
Yes, I was thinking that, too. The voting age was lowered to 18 on Jan. 1, 1971. The age of majority rapidly changed from 21 to 18 afterward. Howeve, in 1962, many women of 18-19 were married and having children. Barack Obama's mother was 18 when he was born in 1961. This woman and Stanley Ann Dunham are about the same age.

Voting age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
With Soviet spies during the build up of the Cold War? Really? You wouldn't care about that?
He'd just deny it. See my first response. She was hardly the only one, either.

Quote:
David Eisenbach: The Beltway Unbuckled: Sex and Politics This Sunday

You see how weak that made Kennedy, the leader of the free world. Imagine what Khrushchev could do with that info to Kennedy. And you couldn't care less. That's just freaking amazing...
Khruschev? Are you kidding? See above.

Quote:
The most powerful man on the planet, for fear that this would get out, placed the future of his presidency in the hands of Hoover, for a price.

The only reason why this didn't get out was because Kennedy suppressed freedom of the press and gave Hoover a permanent job and the rights to secretly tape King.

You people are absolutely hilarious in your partisanship.
See above. Please show some documentation that Kennedy suppressed freedom of the press. The press was more deferential to presidents and other pols back then. Few knew that FDR couldn't walk, or that HE was having an affair during WW II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Since he's been dead for quite some time now and can't refute this, who's to say she's even telling the truth?
Well, that did occur to me, too.

Quote:
She was a tramp and JFK would have never been elected if the press would have done their jobs and informed the voters.
Way to put down a woman. She was taken in by the attentions of the POTUS. She was 19, for pity's sake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
For you history revisionist Clinton did not get impeached for having an affair he got impeached for perjury
He committed perjury about the affair. Silliest thing in the world. The impeachment made a laughingstock out of the US, putting a president on trial for such an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So . . . having an affair with an intern is okay business practice for a 46 year old executive (of any company, not just the white house).

Only a man would say this.
I certainly do not approve of either Clinton nor Kennedy's actions. However, I do not think either one of them damaged national security by doing so.

Quote:
There's a reason why Kruschev came to the conclusion that Kennedy would do nothing if he decided to put up a wall in Berlin and why he would move SU bases to Cuba. Couple the affair with a E. German spy and the Bay of Pigs and it's very easy to see why Kennedy looked like he got sucker punched at that news conference.

If they knew he had affairs why did they suppress freedom of the press and go to unending lengths to make sure Camelot didn't come tumbling down in one fire infested orgy?
What a strange interpretation of events. If anyone had deniability about this affair, it was Kennedy. Please note that I do not think this affair was appropriate. I agree it was an abuse of power.

Quote:
If Nixon would have won in 1960 there would have never been a Vietnam War and the Cold War would have ended sooner.

We would also never have heard of "Jimmy Carter".
"For All Sad Words Of Tongue And Pen, The Saddest Are These, 'It Might Have Been'."

You do not know what would have happened. Nixon took his own sweet time ending the war. In fact, he didn't really end it.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Now. Not in 1962-63.

SSR 63-15
The age of consent is what counts, not some social security regulation, or the voting age, or anything else people have brought up. It is currently 16 in D.C. and a majority of states.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The age of consent is what counts, not some social security regulation, or the voting age, or anything else people have brought up.

Not in my response, which was in reference to when age of majority was attained. The age of consent in some states today is as low as 14/15, an age which is not considered "adult".

Didn't read the last paragraph did you? That gave the Blackstone cite on which the SS determination was made. That cite predated SS by 25 years.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Didn't read the last paragraph did you? That gave the Blackstone cite on which the SS determination was made.
What does that Blackstone ref. have to do with boinking? Nothing.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 PM

It was referenced as a basis for the decision on which US law is based. You're usually not this obtuse.

The point I'm attempting to make is that just because today someone of a certain age is considered an adult does not mean that age has always been the cut-off. In the early 1960's 18 was not the age of majority in much of the US.

If this were today a 46 year old man seducing a 19 year old subordinate would be pilloried. Of course it sometimes seems that this forum is located in an alternate universe.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Not in my response, which was in reference to when age of majority was attained. The age of consent in some states today is as low as 14/15, an age which is not considered "adult".
I see what you mean, but in that case you were responding to an irrelevant point (whether she was an "adult" or not) with another irrelevant point. Why bother?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
I wonder if she turned out to be fat and homely if the press would even cover it. At least not the liberal press.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
It was referenced as a basis for the decision on which US law is based. You're usually not this obtuse.
A basis for the US law which, in turn, had nothing to do with boinking.

In the full context of the thread (boinking), you should've figured out that the other poster was probably alluding to the age of consent and misspoke when he/she said "adult."

Old 02-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
A basis for the US law which, in turn, had nothing to do with boinking.

In the full context of the thread (boinking), you should've figured out that the other poster was probably alluding to the age of consent and misspoke when he/she said "adult."
Maybe, but "adult" has been said enough times that I'm assuming that's what's been meant.

You and I are the first to use "age of consent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies