Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,380,158 times

Advertisements

Gimme Shelter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,004,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Altamont is the moment in time where the 1960s Peace, Joy, & Love drug scene jumped the shark.
That's usually attributed to the Manson murders of August 1969.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,004,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Really, is beck talking about altamont now?
Talk about reaching...
I can remember conservative news commentators ranting about it at the time. They attributed Society Going To Hell to that particular concert (and Mick Jagger in particular). If Glenn Beck is dredging it up it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I can remember conservative news commentators ranting about it at the time. They attributed Society Going To Hell to that particular concert (and Mick Jagger in particular). If Glenn Beck is dredging it up it wouldn't surprise me a bit.
I heard this many times the Devil (Mick Jagger) just entered the room. How many more have carried this label, like AC/DC come to mind. "Highway To Hell", Angus at one time said touring was like being on a Highway to Hell. Then Bon Scott use to race a highway in Australia called "Canning Highway" how many parents thought Ac/DC was sending their children down the road to Hell.

The band has denied having anything to do with Satanism, with Malcolm Young commenting: "my mum would kill me for that!"

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Roy, looks like people don't know much about "Rebel Rockers" or what Beck has to say, was told to us by our parents and we didn't listen then either

Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 AM

13,677 posts, read 8,943,174 times

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM

This has happened at a few concerts, just the Angels weren't involved so it didn't make the news. I think parents warned us concerts weren't safe.

Why do you think most of us went.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,177,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Altamont is the moment in time where the 1960s Peace, Joy, & Love drug scene jumped the shark.

Hello 1970s.
Quote:
It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era — the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run... but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant...
History is hard to know, because of all the hired bull****, but even without being sure of 'history' it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time — and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened
My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights — or very early mornings — when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour... booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turnoff to take when I got to the other end... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: no doubt at all about that...
There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda... You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...
And that, I think, was the handle — that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply PREVAIL. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,329,354 times
I'm not sure why this is in the P&OC forum...should be in the history forum....that being said, I'm really showing my age...I was at Altamont for the Stones concert

Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,919,231 times
Default that perfectly explains the aftermath

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Paul Kantner once said there was a 3 week period in the summer of 67 where it all just fit perfectly, and then the moment was gone forever.

Hunter took that 650 over the high side one night and gained enough cred to keep the hell's angels from killing him.

good post zipdisk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies