Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:20 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times

Advertisements

In general, does a company and/or the owner of a company that pays their employee a wage where they still qualify for welfare programs bear a greater responsibility to maintaining the social safety net than other citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I fully expect Wal-mart to be the Liberal Bullseye of this thread in 3..2...1......

Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I fully expect Wal-mart to be the Liberal Bullseye of this thread in 3..2...1......
Actually that was one of the company's that came to mind when I thought about this. What's your opinion on who owes more into that safety net?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
In general, does a company and/or the owner of a company that pays their employee a wage where they still qualify for welfare programs bear a greater responsibility to maintaining the social safety net than other citizens?
I heard stories of women having to ride in a bus to a mall north of Detroit just so they could maintain a job that welfare made them maintain in order to continue to receive benefits.

Two hours on the bus, 8 hours at work, then a two hour drive home. So 12 hour days, every day, and their kids were home from school with no parental supervision.

Something has got to give somewhere. Maybe they should have taken full advantage of birth control, but maybe their parents didn't teach them proper use of contraception.

Its a cruel world.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:32 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Actually that was one of the company's that came to mind when I thought about this. What's your opinion on who owes more into that safety net?
Nobody "owes more" based on the arbitrary fact that people may work for them. By taking on an employee, you do not take on responsibility for that employee's entire financial situation. You agree upon a wage, and you pay it.

Plus as I mentioned last time this came up, Wal-Mart pays a ton of money in taxes. They're already paying for the safety net on that end.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Nobody "owes more" based on the arbitrary fact that people may work for them. By taking on an employee, you do not take on responsibility for that employee's entire financial situation. You agree upon a wage, and you pay it.

Plus as I mentioned last time this came up, Wal-Mart pays a ton of money in taxes. They're already paying for the safety net on that end.
It's not an arbitrary connection b/c as an employer, they (no just Walmart) are directly responsible for its employee not making enough to live independently.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
It's not an arbitrary connection b/c as an employer, they (no just Walmart) are directly responsible for its employee not making enough to live independently.
Some employers can't afford to pay someone enough to live independently. Should they simply shut their doors?

Farm workers, for instance, aren't paid what many people would consider a livable wage. Waitresses work for tips, they don't even get paid minimum wage.

Life is complicated, and so is capitalism. We can't make it fair for everyone outright. But I don't find it wrong to expect people who are getting government assistance to work for some of their income.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
That's some twisted logic right there. They aren't kids, and Wal-Mart is not their parent, is is a private entity they have chosen to do business with. You can not fault Wal-Mart for the disparity of leverage in a voluntary contract.

Following that line of thought, I could blame pretty much anyone I wanted, anyone they had ever done business with, for their inability to live independently.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
That's some twisted logic right there. They aren't kids, and Wal-Mart is not their parent, is is a private entity they have chosen to do business with. You can not fault Wal-Mart for the disparity of leverage in a voluntary contract.

Following that line of thought, I could blame pretty much anyone I wanted, anyone they had ever done business with, for their inability to live independently.
I think most folks problem with wal-mart is that they are making record profits, doing well, and are still paying their employees less then would be standard for other department stores.

But it is a free country, and their stuff is really cheap. Most Americans, and people in general, don't care where their goods come from, or how much the workers were paid to produce it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Just look at what apple does to workers in China.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think most folks problem with wal-mart is that they are making record profits, doing well, and are still paying their employees less then would be standard for other department stores.
Which is why Wal-Mart should pay their share of taxes, but you can argue that without the asserting that since Wal-Mart offers you an arrangement in which they pay you $X, they now somehow owe you $X + $Y. It's a fundamentally flawed premise which throws the entire discussion off course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But it is a free country, and their stuff is really cheap. Most Americans, and people in general, don't care where their goods come from, or how much the workers were paid to produce it. Out of sight, out of mind.
Oh we care, but in the inverse, we want the maximum amount of cheap plastic crap and electronics at the lowest prices possible. But we also want high wages of course.

Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies