Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What's the point in studying the standard?
I can't think of a more boring subject than that, frankly...
I can imagine what kind of people will attend that class
Probably kids who attend schools where they proped up minorities and blamed white people for all the problems in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Really? What have you learned?
To mind black folks business, and leave white folks to their own devices. I also learned to discard a few lessons...like a few my grandfather taught me (the curriculum changed since his day) and try to see folks for what they are...and treat them accordingly.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
This actually seems like a really interesting course. Reminds me of a Book I intend to read, "How the Irish Became White".
Jews and Catholics were not really considered white in early America and Irish in particular climbed the social ladder using African Americans.

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Became-W.../dp/0415918251

Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
To mind black folks business, and leave white folks to their own devices. I also learned to discard a few lessons...like a few my grandfather taught me (the curriculum changed since his day) and try to see folks for what they are...and treat them accordingly.

That seems strange. So your goal in life is to have as little interaction as possible with 73% of the population?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
...[LEFT]Bonilla-Silva, the author of books like "Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in America" and "White Supremacy & Racism in the Post-Civil Rights Era," says it is harder than ever before to convince college students that studying white privilege is a worthwhile or necessary endeavor.
To many students the election of Obama represents the culmination of decades of racial progress, they say.
"You have a growing racial apathy. People are telling you, I don't want to hear about race, because we're beyond that," Bonilla-Silva says. "But we still have a white America and a black America."

Read more: Has 'Whiteness Studies' Run Its Course? - Education News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.wtae.com/education/30342941/detail.html#ixzz1liJWn9D0 - broken link)[/LEFT]

The public is maturing and realizing that race isn't important and that we should judge people by who they are and what they accomplish, rather than by the color of their skin. To a large extent, in many areas, that has already happened. In many ways, Kings "dream" has been reached.

What the heck are whiny-azzed, race baiting, overpaid liberal professors with a background in basket weaving classes ever going to do? Without race baiting they are out of a job. They would have to look for meaningful, productive work to do...Oh the horror....

Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
That seems strange. So your goal in life is to have as little interaction as possible with 73% of the population?
I want as much interaction with everyone i can interact with. I'm not misanthropic, nor am i a racist. The portion of that 73% that's don't mind interacting with me are fine...nothing but love. The portion that doesn't can go pound sand. I'm not begging to be associated with.

I just don't meddle in affairs between white folks. If some white person wants to have a class about the topic of white people, i certainly have no issue with that.

Don't know what's so strange about that.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Stuff White People Like

Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
It's a waste of tuition.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
This should really help some of these liberals to free themselves of their white guilt.....

Should We Study White People? - Brainstorm - The Chronicle of Higher Education
It's all "white" by HER, I think. Laurie?

And the course is about the sociology of racial identity, how racial identity has a greater context than mere DNA. Since our society has been dominated by "white" narratives, the source of information about white racial identity is more easily accessed, which is why the professor has chosen to focus the class the way that she has.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i cant believe that people pay 80 bucks a unit for this 3rd rate entertainment.
what a waste of money and to go into debt to do it? OMG.
why dont people go to manila to get their education, pennies on the dollar, and skip this nonsense and debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies