Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
They must think we've been in a closet and haven't contributed to anything good. Like white's don't know their History.

What's a shame is all white's equal all things that went wrong.
I have heard countless people say

"Well if we have black history classes, why not have white history classes"

Substitute class for month also.

Be careful what you ask for.......

BTW, in my experience, most folks don't know half of the real history of this country and their race, despite their skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 PM

994 posts, read 724,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think this is actually a legitimate topic. A lot of white people who spend most of their lives associating among other white people never become aware of their own white privilege. It wasn’t until I started really living in predominantly Black/Latino areas that I realized the privilege I benefit from as a white person.

Of course, “white” comes in many different permutations. There is as much of a cultural gap between a rich white person and a poor white person as there is between a white person and a Black person or Latino person, etc. Race is one factor of many, and it never stands alone, but I definitely think there is something to be said for making people aware of how race does factor into day-to-day life. It’s easy to want to believe we are all just color-blind and none of this matters anyway, but in reality most people do still see color, even if it’s in a subconscious way.

The bulk of racism we deal with today is of a covert nature, and part of what keeps that alive is the fact that most white people are blind to their own privilege. A course like this might be just what’s needed in order to shift “white” from being default to just being one of the many options, without having any one race be the “default”.
So once you've declared that you're fighting against "covert" racism, there's really no way to prove or disprove your claims is there? It has now become entirely subjective. So you can just go on making any claims you want not only without evidence but quite literally without even the need for evidence. It's a neat trick.

"I need to educate you about your racism"
"But I'm not racist"
"It's covert and subconscious"
"So even though I believe all epeople are equal, I'm still a racist"
"Right"

I imagine that works out real well for you. Gives you a nice little worldview wherein even the possiblity that you are wrong does not exist because you are able to discount any and all evidence that contradicts you.

Heck, even Martin Luther King himself could've been a racist as long as it was "covert" enough

Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
So once you've declared that you're fighting against "covert" racism, there's really no way to prove or disprove your claims is there? It has now become entirely subjective. So you can just go on making any claims you want not only without evidence but quite literally without even the need for evidence. It's a neat trick.

"I need to educate you about your racism"
"But I'm not racist"
"It's covert and subconscious"
"So even though I believe all epeople are equal, I'm still a racist"
"Right"

I imagine that works out real well for you. Gives you a nice little worldview wherein even the possiblity that you are wrong does not exist because you are able to discount any and all evidence that contradicts you.

Heck, even Martin Luther King himself could've been a racist as long as it was "covert" enough
Well first of all, it’s interesting you some how made this about me. It’s not like I’m the only person on this planet that notices covert racism. That said, there are objective ways to test for covert racism, such as creating comparison scenarios.

Shows like “What Would You Do?” give a perfect example. Another example is the tests that come out that test the reaction time between certain concepts and images of people of one race versus another. Just because something isn’t obvious doesn’t make it completely subjective. There are things that are both subtle and objective, and covert racism can fall into that.

Of course, there are times when people jump to the conclusion of racism for subjective reasons, but that doesn’t mean that all acts of covert racism are of a subjective nature. There are also plenty of people who say one thing but do another. For example, someone can say a million times they’re not racist against Latino people but if they lock their car doors every time they drive through a neighborhood that is predominantly Latino, then that tells us something else about how they really feel.

The thing about covert racism is that most people aren’t even aware of it when they’re doing it themselves. It’s human nature to absorb attitudes through subconscious messages, and that’s why the “blame factor” doesn’t really help anyone. Pinpointing covert racism isn’t blaming Whitey or anyone else, it’s about noticing the remnants of racism we still have in our society today and making way to fix that through education and awareness.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have heard countless people say

"Well if we have black history classes, why not have white history classes"

Substitute class for month also.

Be careful what you ask for.......

BTW, in my experience, most folks don't know half of the real history of this country and their race, despite their skin color.
Wonder what would happen if we joined the classes.

You know what doesn't help is when it's one sided or the agenda is to divide rather than bring together.

The sooner we all realize some want us just to hate each other, they lose.

Last edited by wildflower82; 02-08-2012 at 06:31 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Ain't he though!
(I'm assuming that you weren't talking about me?)
LOL Yes, the puppy is AWESOME! Is he/she yours? If so, lucky.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
LOL Yes, the puppy is AWESOME! Is he/she yours? If so, lucky.
I have to confess .. "Boo" is not mine.
(I only 'borrow' him as my mulatto mascot)

"Boo" is the World's Cutest Dog and has his own Facebook page!

(Some great video and pictures of him on Facebook as well as all over the internet)

Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This should really help some of these liberals to free themselves of their white guilt.....

Should We Study White People? - Brainstorm - The Chronicle of Higher Education
I will show up on-time and never miss a class if Jenny Marbles is a guest lecturer (WARNING - LANGUAGE!):

White Girls At The Club - YouTube

Old 02-09-2012, 04:43 AM

674 posts, read 698,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This should really help some of these liberals to free themselves of their white guilt.....

Should We Study White People? - Brainstorm - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Instead of taking this class I think black people would be much better off reading a book called Yurugu by Dr. Marimba Ani. That books breaks down every facet of European culture, behavior, and thought as it applies to black people.

It is crucial to understand how whiteness works when you are a minority who constantly has to navigate around it.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Maybe they could start like this..........
American Bandstand Fashions 50s to 80s w/ Bunny Gibson - YouTube

OR...................RIP Don Cornelius..
Don Cornelius 1936-2012 - YouTube

Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,673 times
I think it's fine as long as the course doesn't either advocate white supremacy or demonize white people. It should hold a neutral point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies