Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,537,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
I'm normal.
I beg to differ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

16,806 posts, read 39,919,897 times
Here are all 128 pages of the ruling and a bullet point highlight, courtesy of KPCC.

Pay special attention to the first one:

* It stripped same-sex couples of the ability they previously possessed to obtain from the State, or any other authorized part, an important right — the right to obtain and use the designation of 'marriage' to describe their relationships. Nothing more, nothing less.

5,717 posts, read 16,340,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
Marriage, is, has always, and will always be what it is, the union of 1 man and 1 woman.
Who cares? Did people always use computers? You seem to be defying tradition there...

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Legal minors absolutely CANNOT enter into contracts.
They absolutely can enter into them. You just cant enforce the contract as an adult
Quote:
Google it.
Google what? Me marrying my mother? I could google gay marriage is illegal and get lots of replies, whats that supposed to prove?
Quote:
Uh, no. Being a legal adult is a parameter of LAW for ANY AND ALL contracts. Surely you can grasp that?
See, this goes to show how uneducated many americans are..

Minors can indeed enter into a contract
What Are the Different Types of Voidable Contracts?
Any minor individual who enters into a contract before the age of legal majority has the option of voiding the contract once he becomes a legal adult.

An OPTION to void isnt VOID

Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 PM

764 posts, read 596,930 times
You don't get to vote to discriminate, like in this case, or to take away someones individual liberties, like with that Marijuana Decriminalization bill in 2010. You don't like marriage equality? Then don't marry a person of the same gender. You don't like weed? Then don't smoke it. But don't be so selfish, and egotistical to think that it should be up to you, or anyone, to decide what people can or can't do, even when they aren't doing a thing to bother or harm you. Tyranny of the majority applies just the same with Prop 8...

Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,176,222 times
Good news. This marriage debate is silly and going on for far too long. Gay marriage does nothing to take away any rights of straight marriage. They have no impact on each other.

The gay couple who live nextdoor to my parents in Iowa got married a year ago. No one cared. Everyone who wants to go to church still does. The neighborhood didn't burn down. It didn't destroy my parents marriage. People were adults about it and did what they do whenever anyone gets married, said congrats and moved on.

Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, 6 of our states, many other cities and districts around the world have gay marriage and no one is falling into a pit of fire.

If you don't like gay marriage then don't get one. It's hardly like gay people are going to be racing down to your Catholic church during mass and demanding to get married. Gay people respect organized religion about as much as organized religion accepts gay people or anyone else they don't specifically agree with.

Relgious people are backing themselves into a corner on the topic, screaming and yelling. The thing they don't understand is that everyone else DOESN'T CARE. Everyone else just wants them to go away. Go complain amongst themselves. The more you throw fits about every little thing that isn't going your way, the more you're just going to marginalize yourself to the extremes of normal society.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:22 PM

281 posts, read 255,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Your words;

percentage has nothing to do with it, you made a statement known in rhetoric as a "sweeping generalization" and like most sweeping generalizations it was wrong.

I do understand your use of "BS" common definition, I suppose MS is just More S***

Note below, angelfish is one word. like reindeer, or raccoon, there are no animals called rein or rac

Words do have meanings.
You used the word common to describe polygamy. Percentages do matter. For example, 1 in 3 might be common. 1 in 50,000 is not. Once again, you logic is non-existent.

For the ignorance you put on display here, I will help you.

BS is Bachelor's of Science (it is a "degree" awarded by a College or University.

MS is Master's of Science, (a higher-level degree awarded by same)

Congratulations on being able to count to 1. Perhaps, tomorrow, you can make it to 2.

However, I thank you again for making an azz out of yourself in your drivel surrounding the name. Flame Angel is a common term in the tropical fish community. Angel, should you apply your ability to count to 1, is 1 word.

There is a fish called a Muskellunge, which people often refer to as Muskie. Perhaps you should go back to, say, 5th grade, and complete your course of studies - just sayin....,

Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
Quote:
No, the argument was what *legal* basis is there to prohibit two consenting adults from entering into a legal contract.
Children can also enter into a legal contract, despite so many of you guys proving your lack of education on the matter. I bought my first home at 15, I very well entered into a contract at the time and I find it simply amazing that I knew at 15, what many of you guys dont know as grown adults.
Quote:
We are talking about legal contracts, not religious ceremonies or anything outside of the law.
That response makes absolutely no sense since no one has brought up anything but legal contracts or anything outside the law.
Quote:
Can you give me a *legal* reason two consenting adults of the same sex should not be allowed to be joined, legally?
I havent argued against gay marriage, in fact I stated it'll be deemed legal by the US Supreme Court, all I argued is that its stupid to say that because others can enter into a contract than all others should be allowed to get married and pointed out the slippery slope we are headed into.

Children can indeed enter into a contract, so clearly you think they should be allowed to get married, right?
I can enter into a contract with my mother, so clearly I should be allowed to marry her, right?
100 people can enter into a contract to buy an office, building, so clearly 100 people should be allowed to get married, right?

28,354 posts, read 16,362,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They absolutely can enter into them. You just cant enforce the contract as an adult

Google what? Me marrying my mother? I could google gay marriage is illegal and get lots of replies, whats that supposed to prove?

See, this goes to show how uneducated many americans are..

Minors can indeed enter into a contract
What Are the Different Types of Voidable Contracts?
A claim of lack of capacity will make a contract voidable, but only at the option of the party lacking capacity, not at the option of the other party to the agreement. Minors lack the capacity to contract. Any minor individual who enters into a contract before the age of legal majority has the option of voiding the contract once he becomes a legal adult.

An OPTION to void isnt VOID

Try having a 10 year old sign a legal contract and try to get that contract enforced, then get back to me...

13,691 posts, read 18,440,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Who determined your conserns are more valid than the majority of Californias who voted to ban gay marriages?
FYI - I voted YES on prop 8.

A 9 year old CANNOT enter into a contract. Their guardian/parent signs the contract for them because they are below the legal age to enter into a contract.

And yes, on my "gross out" scale, pedophilia disturbs me more than homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies