Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm not prattling on about anything. Someone asked and I answered. Feel free to stay out of that conversation.

And I don't take any of your "facts" has truths. What is a certainty is that neither of us know these things as facts and never will.
So is gravity not a fact either? There is a difference between facts, and 100% proof. Gravity is a fact, but we can't prove it 100%. Evolution is a fact, but it can't be proven 100%. And incidentally, evolution has more evidence supporting it than gravity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And today, the 9th Circus 3-judge panel has said.... Traditional marriage is unconstitutional. The fundamental definition of marriage MUST be changed, and same-sex couples must be included.

Off to the appeals process.....
If this is the line of defense the pro prop 8 people will use at the Supreme Court, they will be laughed out of the room. How someone could develop this line of reasoning based on the courts decision defies logic.

I am curious though, what is the fundamental definition of marriage? And whose fundamental definition is it?

Seems the Christians want to run right over the US Constitution in favor of their particular mythologies beliefs.

Now I did see on TV a commercial advocating marriage between a man and bacon... truly perverted... unless one really loves bacon.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:53 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I think they have little choice. If they don't, the 9th Circuit's ruling effectively declares ssm a fundamental constitutional right, but only in 9 states. The other 41 would be left in limbo. Unless their refusal to review has the same legal affect as reviewing and upholding the lower courts decision, a point of legal administrivia that I don't know the answer to. If so, failing to act makes it apply nationwide. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can comment.
It still can be used as an argument in other cases so it has weight to it. It basically will stop states from trying to repeal it to since this decision will be deferred too. In the end this and the slow snowball of states legazling it will force the supreme court to issue a more comprehensive ruling.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:57 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Are you all ready for a rainstorm of Fire and Brimstone?

Doesn't Anatomy teach you it's supposed to be male and female.

Sodomy just isn't right. We all know it. We just suppress it.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post

So really everybody is a latent homosexual, it's just that Godly folks buck-it-up and hunker down with the opposite sex out of fear?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The "hate the sin, love the sinner" approach to homosexuality is a massive load of ****. It's a way to justify hate by calling it love (and then delusionally believing it). One's sexual orientation is an immutable and innate part of that person. It's a core component of his or her's self. To tell a homosexual that his homosexuality is inherently wrong and sinful; to tell him that he needs to feel ashamed about his homosexuality and try and change it or at least not act on it; to tell a homosexual that coming to terms and accepting himself for who he is is an immoral and evil succumbing to sin, are all hateful things - there's no love in any of that. All you're telling a homosexual is that you hate a fundamental, core component of who he is and that he should hate himself too.

Spreading that message of hate causes immeasurable pain in the lives of gay people. Why do you think gay youth turn to self-destructive behaviors (drug and alcohol abuse, running away, promiscuity, prostitution, etc) at much higher rates than their heterosexual peers? It's because they're constantly being told by "love the sinner, hate the sin" types (as well as by hate the sinner, hate the sin types) to hate themselves - and they do.

If you want to keep a gay kid from turning to a life of drugs, or a living on the street, or killing himself, then stop spreading your "love" (in actuality hate), and instead spread some actual love (it's also the best thing you can do to combat the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the gay community). Go find a gay teenager and tell him that you love him UNCONDITIONALLY. Tell him there's nothing wrong with who he is; that there is nothing wrong whatsoever with being gay. Tell him you accept him for who he is and that he doesn't need to try and change or repress his homosexuality.
Loving the sin and not the sinner IS about unconditional love. My mother is a fornicator. I don't love her any less, don't judge her and don't browbeat her to change her ways.

I know enough gay people that I don't have to go find anyone. All of them know that I love them. All of them know that I don't judge their sexuality.It's not my place to judge and/or condemn anyone. You can attempt to make it seem that way, but that doesn't make it true.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-09-2012 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Loving the sin and not the sinner IS about unconditional love. My mother is a fornicator. I don't love her any less, don't judge her and don't browbeat her to change her ways.

I know enough gay people that I don't have to go find anyone. All of them know that I love them. All of them know that I don't judge their sexuality.It's not my place to judge and/or condemn anyone. You can attempt to make it seem that way, but that doesn't make it true.
How can you love me unconditionally if you don't love - if you in fact hate - a core, fundamental, immutable, and innate main component of my self-identity or humanity - the part of me that directs how I form intimate relationships with other human beings? How can you unconditionally love a homosexual who's wholly indulgent and accepting of his homosexuality if you hate homosexuality?

I see how you could love somebody unconditionally if you occasionally hate a behavior of theirs (like a "fornicator"). I don't see how you can love somebody unconditionally if you hate (and view as evil) the essence of who they are.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-09-2012 at 04:39 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:

Thanks Reverend Moon.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:

God hasn't rained fire and brimstone on the other 11+ countries that have same-sex marriage. What makes you think he's going to here?

And more heterosexuals engage in those sex acts than gays. I don't see Fire and Brimstone raining down on them.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786

38% of women, and a little less for men, have participated in heterosexual sodomy, that is more people I think than regard themselves as evangelical Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies