Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Why do you get to draw the moral line as to what LDS followers can and cannot do when it comes to marriage. In some countries and religions children marry before they can biologically reproduce.

Why do you get to decide where the slippery slope limits begin and end?
It is illegal in most states for children younger then 18 to be married. Some states I believe its 16 with parental consent.

Thats where I'd draw the line. Let each states population decide for themselves. The federal government shouldn't have a say in it, one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

The point is that polygamy was a integral part of the Mormon faith and continued to be so until it was outlawed.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I suggest you study the actual case before posting from a blog.

It has nothing to do with letting women die and everything to do with not allowing abortions in Catholic Sanctioned Hospitals and care facilities.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It is illegal in most states for children younger then 18 to be married. Some states I believe its 16 with parental consent.

Thats where I'd draw the line. Let each states population decide for themselves. The federal government shouldn't have a say in it, one way or another.
I agree it should be a states right issue. Along with abortion.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The position of the Catholic church is to let women die rather than terminating a pregnancy that would save her life. This should not be allowed.
Got a link where hospitals run by Catholics let women die like that? There was a rare case in Arizona where a nun did perform an abortion on a woman who was 12 weeks pregnant and suffering a rare, life threatening medical disorder. but i could not find a case where a woman actually died, because the hospital refused to abort a fetus.

BTW......the Catholic hospitals have performed sterilization procedures.

This website presents the findings of a study of 176 Catholic hospitals in seven states across the U.S. to determine the extent to which direct sterilizations are performed in Catholic hospitals. The research found that 48% of Catholic hospitals have performed direct sterilizations. All hospitals in the study are displayed on this website. The religious orders sponsoring them and the health systems to which many belong along with diocesan information are also presented. The computer processing methods used in the presented data have been independently verified.

Catholic Hospitals.org

Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I agree it should be a states right issue. Along with abortion.
I'd be ok with that also. I can afford to drive my daughter to another state if she needs an abortion.

Most Americans disagree with that though. Remember, even Mississippi, arguably one of the most conservative states in the nation, denied the anti-choice crowds attempt to outlaw abortion.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I see nothing "morally" wrong about polygamy. However the two issues are quite different from a legal perspective. In the case of polygamy no one has that right while laws prohibiting same sex marriage prohibits a class of citizens from enjoying the same rights as other citizens.
I'm sure the divorce lawyers would love for polygamy and gay marriage to become legal.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I'm sure the divorce lawyers would love for polygamy and gay marriage to become legal.
End divorce lawyers business all together. Put a 5 year limit on all legal marriage. Feel free to re-up in 5 years.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'd be ok with that also. I can afford to drive my daughter to another state if she needs an abortion.

Most Americans disagree with that though. Remember, even Mississippi, arguably one of the most conservative states in the nation, denied the anti-choice crowds attempt to outlaw abortion.
Here are some actual stats.

Abortion

Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Here are some actual stats.

Abortion
Actual stats are, one of the most conservative states in the union flat out rejected a ban on abortion a few months back.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...on-rights-poll

We are dangerously off topic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies