Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the latest Gallup poll results regarding the economy -- and, in spite of the positive spin, it looks a great deal like commenting on "how good the corpse at a funeral looks"

Americans' increasing optimism about the economy's direction is largely responsible for the improvement in the overall monthly index. The percentage of Americans who say economic conditions are getting better has doubled since August, climbing to 36% in January. This is the most positive Americans have been on this metric since May, but still not quite as positive as they were in January of last year (41%).
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Americans' ratings of current economic conditions also improved in January, but to a somewhat lesser degree; still, they have essentially recovered to May levels.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

I don't want to be a pessimist, but, it still looks to me like 58% think the economy is getting worse vs 36% who believe it is getting better.... OR
88% believe the overall economy is 'poor to fair' vs 12% who believe it is 'excellent'.

I'm wondering if this is simply a reflection of 'election year politics' trying to put a positive spin on a really lousy economic picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
These polls are just people's opinions. They tell you nothing about the actual economy. In fact, these opinion polls of the masses generally don't reflect reality.

I'm sure if you poll these people on the best movie of 2011, "The Artist" would not appear on the list but "Transformers" would be near the top.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
The exact same unemployment formula used today, was used under Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, and Reagan.

Is that formula perfect, far from it. But to suggest that President Obama is cooking the books for election benefits? Thats being facetious.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The exact same unemployment formula used today, was used under Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, and Reagan.

Is that formula perfect, far from it. But to suggest that President Obama is cooking the books for election benefits? Thats being facetious.
I'm not suggesting that President Obama is 'cooking the books' .... but, simply observing that in election year, everything gets reported with a positive spin by the incumbent; ... and a negative spin by the challenger.

After a while, I, for one, stop attributing much credibility to the reported numbers.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I'm not suggesting that President Obama is 'cooking the books' .... but, simply observing that in election year, everything gets reported with a positive spin by the incumbent; ... and a negative spin by the challenger.

After a while, I, for one, stop attributing much credibility to the reported numbers.
Agreed, and Obama has the advantage of having the media in his bag, so we are going to be hearing a lot more about how great the economy is whether its true or not.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
The truth is that NOBODY knows what the economy is actually doing. These "statistics" can be manipulated to read any way you like... and reported as fact. Polls are horrible indicators. They represent a far too small sample to be accurate.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
To believe anything about the economy in an election year is foolish. Believe your wallet and mine stays empty from rising energy prices.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Optimism / expectations about the future actually play a part in the performance of the economy.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

No, more like being an observant citizen watching the past Obama political moves. Nothing is beneath him in his effort to hold on to power.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
There is no recovery, only state propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies