Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah that'd be a great move....lay off thousands of people for machines. I live in FL and the elderly people here do not like those machines. Plus they're expensive to get and expensive to maintain. I worked at Home Depot when they first came out.
It's not something which can be implemented overnight. The key is to increase the number of self-checkout counters gradually, while decreasing the cashier counters proportionately. Elderly people are not going to be around forever. The generation which follows is more tech savvy. Also, FL might be one of the last markets where they will deploy this. Even in the case of elders, given a choice between cheap stuff vs. a live cashier, most people would choose cheap stuff, given how inflation will continue to erode the purchasing power of their fixed income SS checks. Machines are usually cheaper than people, especially when you consider salary + benefits + healthcare that you are now mandatorily forced to give an employee. If a self-checkout machine is not cheaper now, it will become cheaper once they are mass produced to be installed in the thousands of supermarkets across the country (note that this manufacturing boom will produce quite a few jobs too, probably more high paying).

In the world of the future, only people with unique marketable skills will survive. Cashiers, greeters, huggers, handshakers etc. will be rendered obsolete in favor of machines which will do the same job faster and better. As heartless as it sounds, this is how it will come about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Good move by Walmart. A useless job if I have ever seen one. I don't need to be "greeted". They can eliminate those positions and put the savings against the items in the store to reduce the prices even further. Another thing they should eliminate in the long run are the cashiers. If people could self checkout, then that would save a lot of money. Shoplifting can be combated by efficient use of technology. Using people to do this is more error prone and ineffective. This is a win-win for the business and its customers.

Proof?
You are going to love the RFID system that is in the R&D phase. Every item will have a tag. You will push your cart into an area that will ring up the entire cart in a couple seconds. Guess who is spearheading the technology?

Old 02-07-2012, 11:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
It would not surprise me if, years down the road, stores charged a service fee to use a cashier, just as some banks charge for too many visits to a live teller. That would persuade even the elderly who don't want to be bothered to use the technology to cut their expenses.

Realistically, its an easier position to automate than bank tellers were, and for the most part, the vast majority of tellers went to new lines of work in the post ATM world, with most banks now running 2 live tellers max vs the 6 or more we'd see in 1985.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:30 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Good move by Walmart. A useless job if I have ever seen one. I don't need to be "greeted". They can eliminate those positions and put the savings against the items in the store to reduce the prices even further. Another thing they should eliminate in the long run are the cashiers. If people could self checkout, then that would save a lot of money. Shoplifting can be combated by efficient use of technology. Using people to do this is more error prone and ineffective. This is a win-win for the business and its customers.

Proof?
>>> Check the news. Check Youtube. I've seen a few news stories this year where an irate customer attacks store employees or when a greeter tries to stop a shoplifter they get attacked. It happened locally where a thug seriously injured an elderly greeter when she tried to stop him froms tealing a TV. She tried to stop his cart and he wrenched her arm pretty bad.
Technology does not stop shoplifting. You can watch a shoplifter VIA camera but you still have to physically stop them from leaving. And those security strips and alarms do not stop shoplifters. They either remove them or they just run out the door and don't stop. If nobody's there to stop them( even just having a person standing there is enough) shoplifters become pretty bold.
The best deterrent to shoplifters is having an employee or employees let them know they are being watched and that they will be stopped when they try to leave the store. Thats prevention. Stores have tried self checkouts and they don't work. With "technology" shoplifters can change barcodes and buy a $100 item for $3.
Honestly thats why I say this will be tried for a year or two and then the costs of lost merchandise by theft will be seen to outweigh the relatively low cost of having a door greeter.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I can't really remember the last time a greeter actually said hi to me when I walked in the store.

Wal-Mart isn't the business it used to be. They lost their southern roots.
True..we haven't had greeters here in a long time and it's been YEARS since one met you with a cart.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
I rarely visit Wal Mart anymore. Its a zoo 24-7. Would rather go to Target, much cleaner...

Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Just close wm's all together and this country would be the better for it.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Chromekitty, Close them, the employer who provides 1.2 MILLION US jobs. Huh?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Just close wm's all together and this country would be the better for it.
I agree...I hate Wal-Mart,BUT they've ran every other business off around here and you are darn near a captive audience for them.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
After 30 years, "People Greeters" will no longer welcome Walmart customers with a "cart and a smile." Four months after Walmart got rid of its night-shift "People Greeters," the big-box retailer is moving its day-shift greeters inside the store. Walmart claims it's all in the name of better customer service, but the announcement has left some greeters uncertain about the future of their jobs.

Walmart Greeters Will No Longer Greet At The Door - Careers Articles
Meh.

Don't greeters at some big box stores also check the receipts of the customers leaving the store?

Heaven forbid Wal-Mart can't get rid of the receipt checkers. Lord knows they can't afford to lose anything and must basically strip search any customer and their purchases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies