Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There can be many contributing explanations:

* Less access to contraceptives (Listen to Republican primary audiences to hear opposition to contraceptives)
Most parents would object to contraceptives being handed out to their child.

Quote:
* Fewer constructive activities
Ahem, what do you mean?

Quote:
* Less sex education. (Red States are more likely no resist formal school sec education.)
Maybe, but are you aware that there are differences between the states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The subject and main point of the article was to present the stats of teen birth rates, not the anti or pro choice issue. The fact remains that whether or not a girl decides to go ahead with a pregnancy, chances are that the lack of sex-ed and abstinence only attitude/agenda is what got her into a predicament that is most likely not ideal for her or her family. An unplanned and unwanted pregnancy does not always have the warm and fuzzy results that conservatives are attempting to puit forth on this thread. Give the young woman the knowledge and education to prevent a situation that will forever change her life...and not always for the better...a no brainer.

I know we're all ot but you're expecting too much of us. This issue is tied directly with the outcomes. These outcomes are directly tied to cultural norms. You should have anticipated this shift in the discussion.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,275,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I disagree. Either raising that same child or offering it up for adoption is taking responsibility. Abortion is just killing.
That it is, however it is still a responsible choice.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
In the old days - there was support groups called extended families...grandmothers - wise old grand dads..uncles ...aunts - etc...If a teen got pregnant - it was a blessing because it was an addition to family - not that I believe..in young people having kids too early - BUT it should not be considered a curse - nor should the girl with child be perseucted..maybe conservatives are just more loyal to family than the state dependant liberals are?
In my part of the south extended families are still here and additions to the families are still celebrated, even moreso if they are the result of marriage but all are still welcome.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
That it is, however it is still a responsible choice.
In your culture I'm sure. In my culture........it's still just killing.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There can be many contributing explanations:

* Less access to contraceptives (Listen to Republican primary audiences to hear opposition to contraceptives)
* Fewer constructive activities
* Less sex education. (Red States are more likely no resist formal school sec education.)
Please give some evidence for these claims.
Every state has drugstores and free clinics. Not to mention older siblings, peer groups, and plenty of family " birds and bees" lectures plus tv, Internet and movies. PLENTY of avenues to learn the ways of the world.
What are constructive activities?
Sex Ed is mandated by the state dept. of Ed in my red state.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
"Well honey we are dirt poor,have problems paying the bills, and can barely feed ourselves but we sure are better then those baby killing liberals"
I thought conservatives were the hated rich. ????

Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I thought conservatives were the hated rich. ????
Only the ones in government and ceo's .

Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Maybe it's because they are less likely to murder their babies.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Maybe it's because they are less likely to murder them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies