Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: It would be best if America
Expanded the Social Safety Net and Made It Stronger For the Less Fortunate 5 16.67%
Began to Responsibly Shrink the Number of People on Social Programs Through Training and Education 24 80.00%
Kept Government Assistance Programs Exactly as They Are Now 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times

Advertisements

What is your ideal social construct in America?

More social programs or less need for social programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
What is your ideal social construct in America?

More social programs or less need for social programs?
Why do we have to pick one?

The answer, as is usually the case, lies in the middle.

Do you honestly think Americans are going to watch people dying in the street from lack of hospital care? People who work to go hungry or without a house?

This is what you're proposing, right?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why do we have to pick one?

The answer, as is usually the case, lies in the middle.

Do you honestly think Americans are going to watch people dying in the street from lack of hospital care? People who work to go hungry or without a house?

This is what you're proposing, right?
I am proposing a question from which one may choose an answer from three choices.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I am proposing a question from which one may choose an answer from three choices.
Your three choices are illogical and don't accept basic variations in the human animal and situations.

When the human variable is included, any number of answers, limitless answers in fact are the answer.

Are Americans going to cut these programs? Maybe for those that don't need them. Even Republicans are talking about "means testing".

Are Americans going to watch someone making 30K a year with a family of 4 go hungry? Nope.

Are baby boomers who paid into the system for all of their lives going to start drawing their benefits and in fact increase the amount of people on social security and medicare? Probably.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times
Memphis is right, here. There are no "easy answers" to this.

We want less people on welfare, but we can't simply cut spending to welfare programs and hope for the best.

Your second option, training and education, is a fantastic idea. However, a lot of people, especially those already on welfare programs, can't afford additional training or education, which means more government social welfare programs in terms of training and education.

So, in order to reduce the number of people on welfare, we need to increase spending to help them leave it.

And that doesn't include the known unknowns we need to prepare for, such as abuse.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Support those who truly cannot fend for themselves. I see no reason to foster dependence on the government for young, able bodied, people.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Cut the depth and breadth of current social programs in half and watch millions of American's spring into action when there's no food stamps to buy food with and no welfare to watch (or buy) TV with.

Necessity is the Mother of All Inventions. When it becomes necessary to feed your own sorry ass, you'll get up and go do it or you'll starve.

I fully believe that people will do it instead of starving.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Cut the depth and breadth of current social programs in half and watch millions of American's spring into action when there's no food stamps to buy food with and no welfare to watch (or buy) TV with.

Necessity is the Mother of All Inventions. When it becomes necessary to feed your own sorry ass, you'll get up and go do it or you'll starve.

Desperation begets crime. I guess you finally get to use that concealed handgun for something.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Most simplistic solutions to complicated problems.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
My dad used to tell stories about the shame a guy would feel if he had to "go on the county". Men would hop the train and leave to find work to support their families. They would send money back home. They did whatever it would take. No job was beneath them. Reminds me of the Mexicans and other immigrants. I'm no advocate of illegals. Just recognize them for what they are and are doing.

There is no shame now. SNAP promoted by a cute marketing program with a credit-card. Welfare is EIC and refundable tax credits.

There are in any society those who will need our help. Disabled, sick, elderly, mentally disabled, and similar. That segment of the population deserves our sympathy and care. I struggle with the fact that we have millions of illegals here while the UE rate is so high. Every restaurant in the bay area is staffed by illegals. When I was traveling frequently I noticed the same thing across the country. Didn't matter where. It doesn't compute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies