Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times

Advertisements

Orange County continues to defy liberal stereotypes of California. An article from last June describes Orange County's robust traditionalism:

-----------------------

In a state where the dynamics of marriage, family and home are shifting, Orange County remains a "vestige of tradition," as one sociologist put it.

Analysts, however, say the county's loyalty to convention is not due to a push to maintain its image as a pillar of social conservatism. Instead, they point to the bustling Latino commercial districts in Santa Ana, the Vietnamese American coffee shops in Garden Grove and the halal butchers in Anaheim — to an influx of immigrants who have imported the old-fashioned family structures of their homelands.

Orange County's ethnic enclaves are founded on religious and cultural values that include strong family ties, said Jack Bedell, a sociology professor at Cal State Fullerton. "It means 'I take in 'grandma because I want to, not because I have to,'" said Bedell ...

------------------------

Congrats to Orange County for keeping sanity alive in California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM

653 posts, read 945,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Orange County continues to defy liberal stereotypes of California. An article from last June describes Orange County's robust traditionalism:

-----------------------

In a state where the dynamics of marriage, family and home are shifting, Orange County remains a "vestige of tradition," as one sociologist put it.

Analysts, however, say the county's loyalty to convention is due... to an influx of immigrants who have imported the old-fashioned family structures of their homelands.

Orange County's ethnic enclaves are founded on religious and cultural values that include strong family ties, said Jack Bedell, a sociology professor at Cal State Fullerton. "It means 'I take in 'grandma because I want to, not because I have to,'" said Bedell ...

------------------------

Congrats to Orange County for keeping sanity alive in California!
WesternPilgrim, do you, or have you ever, lived in Orange County? If so, when and where?

Also, ironic since in another thread you're trying to scare away a person from migrating to this country, yet the very article you post states:

"Analysts, however, say the county's loyalty to convention is due to... an influx of immigrants who have imported the old-fashioned family structures of their homelands."

But again, your news is from the LA Times. :\

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-08-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Vietnamese coffee shops = old-world values?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM

653 posts, read 945,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Hey, it's the LA Times. It MUST be accurate. Don't question it. Clearly others don't.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
WesternPilgrim, do you, or have you ever, lived in Orange County? If so, when and where?

Also, ironic since in another thread you're trying to scare away a person from migrating to this country, yet the very article you post states:

"Analysts, however, say the county's loyalty to convention is due to... an influx of immigrants who have imported the old-fashioned family structures of their homelands."

But again, your news is from the LA Times. :\
I've never lived in OC, but have been there many times. I'm not trying to scare away immigrants. I married into an immigrant family precisely because of their old world values. Spent many hours in Vietnamese coffee shops and still stop in now and then for my cafe sua da.

Islam, however, is a separate question.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 02-08-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM

72 posts, read 434,300 times
Conservatives preach family values and morality. Then, they do bad stuff in their private life (like adultery). They are hypocrites.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Hordes of illegal aliens that apparently have no values of any kind, old world or new? Voters that keep sending Loretta Sanchez back to Congress over and over again? Wish that Orange County was as conservative as it once was or as conservative as leftists imagine it to be today.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Hordes of illegal aliens that apparently have no values of any kind, old world or new? Voters that keep sending Loretta Sanchez back to Congress over and over again? Wish that Orange County was as conservative as it once was or as conservative as leftists imagine it to be today.
Unfortunately social conservatism does not always translate into political conservatism. Loretta Sanchez, egads.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
It's a pale version of what it was like back in the days of Rep. John Schmitz, Rep. Bob Dornan and Rep. James B. Utt.

Schmitz was so far to the right, even the John Birch Society dumped him. He was a family values, far-right conservative Roman Catholic Republican who carried on a long affair with a former student and fathered two children with her while married to his wife.

Republican Bob Dornan, famous for the "Every lesbian spear chucker in this country is hoping I get defeated" statement.

Mr. Utt, a Republican also, was a good family man and apparently stayed true to his long-time wife, but he voted against three Civil Rights Acts and the Voting Rights Act.

I actually met Schmitz and Utt at Republican Women of OC parties at my grandparents' house. The Utt family sold some excellent grape juice, I'll give them that.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's a pale version of what it was like back in the days of Rep. John Schmitz, Rep. Bob Dornan and Rep. James B. Utt.

Schmitz was so far to the right, even the John Birch Society dumped him. He was a family values, far-right conservative Roman Catholic Republican who carried on a long affair with a former student and fathered two children with her while married to his wife.

Republican Bob Dornan, famous for the "Every lesbian spear chucker in this country is hoping I get defeated" statement.

Mr. Utt, a Republican also, was a good family man and apparently stayed true to his long-time wife, but he voted against three Civil Rights Acts and the Voting Rights Act.

I actually met Schmitz and Utt at Republican Women of OC parties at my grandparents' house. The Utt family sold some excellent grape juice, I'll give them that.
Too bad about Schmitz's personal life. Glad he did the right thing politically, though.

Really miss old "B1 Bob".

I'm sure OC is only a shadow of its old self. But if I had to choose between living with social conservatives who vote for Dems and social libertarians who vote GOP, I'd choose the former in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies