Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times

Advertisements

Glenn Greenwald, the best liberal journalist in America just calls it like it is again.

Repulsive progressive hypocrisy - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Looks to me you can get away with more using a false ideology as cover. Liberals and democrats who are "inherently caring and loving" can torture and execute but are forgiven since they have good intentions. "Conservative" Bush can sign into law the prescription drug program with little resistance from his own supporters. Obama did not repeal the patriot act now did he?

Liberals can't do liberal things and conservatives can to conservative things because of the reactionary politics. What works just dandy is pacifying the opposition while selling out your own constituents because a republican in name only gets republican votes and democrats in name only get democratic votes. To win the majority, simply betray your own constituency.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I am way left of Liberal and I do NOT support the very existence of Guantanamo's torture chambers or kidnapping or drone murder missions or any of the rest of our War on Terror. Terrorism is not WAR! It is a failure of enforcing the LAW against murder and destruction of property. Terror is not controlled by becoming a better higher tech terrorist but by capturing, trying and punishing the perpetrators for their CRIMES.

I realize many of the LEFT ARE STILL ALLOWING THEIR PERSONAL FEAR to override their personal belief in a just world. They are indeed no better than their FEARFULL conservative neighbors. Both are willing to suspend law to grasp at the false straw of security.

I condemn both sides of the political spectrum for using Terrorism as an excuse to contract our personal freedom from government interference with travel, private conversations, restrictions on firearms ownership and putting us at risk of government sponsored kidnapping for talking to the wrong people or going to the wrong church.

As was said “Fear is the mind killer.” The bombing on 9/11 was a blessing for all the would be tyrants in our own country. They have donned the cloak of savior to enforce our fear. We need to understand why we are being frightened and then we will be able to get rid of these tyrants and return to a lawful society.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
excellent article, Pad. I too am mystified at the reversal. I think it is a testament to the power of the mainstream media.

Quote:
I considered blind leader loyalty one of the worst toxins in our political culture: it’s the very antithesis of what a healthy political system requires (and what a healthy mind would produce.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
I disagree with the liberal stance on most issues but I do respect those that have the courage of their convinctions. That is what has bothered me about both parties of late; the fair-weather support of issues (e.g. only supporting an issue when 'your' guy is in charge).

Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,499 times
I think its wrong to call it liberal hypocrisy because Obama is not a liberal and has never called himself one. Democrats and liberals are 2 separate things, the Democrats are a right leaning party on most issues while the Republicans are almost the same but add a religious component.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
To my great regret the Democratic Party is politically to the right of center and the Republican are way right of that. All parties are kissing the Arses of big business, big military, big churches and big Bank Gangsters. Both parties are willing to tyranize everyone to provide security and profit for the few. I cannot find a real lefitst of progressive party anywhere.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
There is heartening oppostion to Guantanamo from the right. There are many complaints because its public, costly and inefficiently run. "If only it were privatized", my sources say. I also see encouraging signs from the left. They have a bill to ban smoking at Guantanamo as well as allowing same sex visitation after the interrogations.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Glenn Greenwald, the best liberal journalist in America just calls it like it is again.

Repulsive progressive hypocrisy - Salon.com
Yes, there are Hypocrites on both sides, the link proves half of it and this thread proves the other half.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
American liberals are not liberal at all, they're statists.
They've stolen the word to hide their left-wing ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies