Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
No, it isn't. There's no right to marriage in this country. As I understand it, marriage is a civil contract defined by the states.
Yes, marriage is a civil right. Supreme Court established that in 1967.

Quote:
The argument for gay marriage is that if marriage is available to heterosexuals then it is a violation of equal protection to not make it available also to homosexuals. However, I don't believe anyone is arguing that marriage itself is a right.
Marriage is a right.

Quote:
It would of course be absurd and never successful if you tried, but I believe if hypothetically somehow you did get enough votes together to outlaw marriage entirely, I don't think that would technically be unconstitutional.
Yes, actually it would, so sayeth the Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
That 'tired old' system has worked for a long time. I'd call that a 'proven' system, not 'tired old'. The only other systems are poligamy, which is popular in the Muslim world, and serial marriage which is popular in Hollywood. I prefer the traditional system.
You do realize polygamy used to be legal in this country right? How about husbands being able to legally rape their wives? Do you like that traditional system? How about women not being able to own property and belong to their husbands? How about contraception in a marriage being illegal?

You guys haven't the foggiest clue what traditional marriage even means.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
U.S. News - 'Poster couple' for gay rights in California is divorcing

Surprise, gays find out marriage isn't so great afterall.
You can spin it that way if you like, but people are people, and a lot of us suck at personal relationships. Plus, have you seen the sorry state of the economy in Cali?? Money problems are the crux of many break ups.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:30 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
And I thought you were so tolerant of others free speech. Oh well.
POINT out EXACTLY where anyone was intolerant of your right to free speech???

I know you can't because it didn't happen...your inability to write or understand English is NOT someone else's fault....stick to the topic...

And I , too thought the OP's ONLY purpose was to show some kind of twisted "gotcha" glee at a divorce.

Here's ANOTHER question you'll avoid.
Where did you get the insane idea that gays cannot get divorced????

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 02-08-2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:

Wow, a gay couple doing what over 50% if hetro couple do, splitting up.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You do realize polygamy used to be legal in this country right? How about husbands being able to legally rape their wives? Do you like that traditional system? How about women not being able to own property and belong to their husbands? How about contraception in a marriage being illegal?

Traditional marriage was also heavily influenced by the times the people lived in. Many wives died in child birth, and disease, war, famine and pestilence were every where.

I think it's folks like you who have no clue what it was like to live back in the days before electricity. Life was a daily struggle for survival, a hard winter or dry summer could see the loss of their crops, or disease could claim a loved one. They did not have and rapid response police and fire protection, nor was there an emergency room and an ambulance a phone call away.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:

Surprise ! 51% of straight marriages end in divorce....maybe we should just ban marriage...then there wouldn't be any divorce....

Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I think this couple wised up. Marriage sucks, gay or straight.
Not really, just takes the right mate gay or straight. Look at Elton John and his partner, they've been happy for a long time. Only sucks if you don't get along.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post

Who does these things?? I think I'm real glad to live on the West side of the United States.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Oh, please. I could practically hear you cackling.
Really? You hear voices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies