Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I'm not here to defend Egan or the Catholic Church. But you should know that in the 70's, 80's and 90's bishops believed tht pedophile priests could be rehabilitated. And so priests who were accused of molestation were sent to a special psychiatric center (in Pennsylvania, I believe) where they were treated and only restored to ministry when the medical professionals assured that the offenders were cured or rehabilitated. The idea that bishops did not act to protect their flock is nonsense. Was it reasonable for them to rely on psychiatric mumbo jumbo in dealing with these priests? Who knows? Were some bishops grossly derelict? No doubt.

The larger lesson here is that the molestation of boys by priests skyrocketed after Vatican II when the Church tried to make a distinction between homosexual tendencies and homosexual acts in recruiting men to the priesthood. Those who refuse to acknowledge the correlation are as guilty of hiding their heads in the sand as were some bishops who knew of the molestation going on and refused to confront the problem head on.
Sorry but the psychiatric mumbo jumbo you speak of was put in place to protect the Catholic Church. It was all BS. How about the Bishops let the legal system decide what to do with known pedophiles? They did not protect their flock, they protected the Church.

I'm not sure I understand your second paragraph. Are you trying to make the false assertoin that gays are more likely to be pedophlies? The fact is the Bishops should have reported the pedophiles to the police. They didn't and I don't care what bogus excuse they came up with. Same goes for Joe Paterno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
JimMe, While I partially buy into the "We thought it would work routine", I do not fully buy their "story". Since they had repeat offenders, which would tell even Forrest Gump, the treatment did not work? When Law was deposed of in Boston, his successor did a gutsy thing which should not have been needed.he told the CFO and admitted it, they would not use Bankruptcy as a shield against their liabilities. That tells me finances came ahead of all else, and the "We thought it would work", at the higher diocese levels was partly a ruse to not admit finances were the motive for the cover story.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:38 PM

994 posts, read 724,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The crime of covering sexual abuse of minors - pedophilia.
Or do you find it okay?
Meaning "You must support raping children if you won't agree to punish the person being accused of it before he's been proven guilty"

Sorry, but no.

See "McMartin Preschool Trial" and/or "Duke Lacrosse Team rape case" for cases where people accused of heinous crimes everyone just KNEW were guilty turned out to be...innnocent

Old 02-09-2012, 02:39 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Somebody remind me why these criminals get tax breaks and a political voice.
Funny, you can apply that to unions as well. But at least the Church still does some good, can't say the same for unions.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM

kkaos2, This is not McMartin. Too many cases with NO common denominator. This is institutional pedophilia, covered up due to the politcal power the RCC holds in certain regions. As an ex RCC member, I am delighted it blew up in their face. If the church is to be reborn in a strong manner, justice is required, and the perps must be purged, as well as the enabling bishops who again, might as well have joined NAMBLA for how well they protected innocent children.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Meaning "You must support raping children if you won't agree to punish the person being accused of it before he's been proven guilty"

Meaning "You must turn over ALL evidence and seek authorities at the outset of suspicion, and stop treating potential CRIMES as if they are INTERNAL church matters. They aren't, and treating them like they are = COVERUP." Otherwise, one supports raping children.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Seems like the Church is still far more concerned about scoring political points over contraceptives than dealing with child buggery.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
Why would anyone care what a member of the Catholic Church says about anything? It is an organization that protected pedophiles and allowed them to continue abusing children that is lead by an ex-Nazi.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:29 PM

True, ovcatto. Hopefully, a conviction of Bishop Finn gets their attention. Surely, his cellmate will love a pedophile protector, right (sar)?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"A decade after the sex abuse scandal that plagued the Catholic Church across the country, retired Cardinal Edward Egan has taken back his apology for how the church handled the issue."

Retired New York Cardinal Egan retracts apology on Catholic priest sex abuse – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Somebody remind me why these criminals get tax breaks and a political voice.
Maybe that is why they oppose birth control. They need a fresh supply of kids to abuse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies