U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should marriage hold any legal recognition.
yes..... marriage should hold legal recognition. 7 38.89%
no...... marriage not hold any legal recognition. 9 50.00%
Tom Brady will win another superbowl before he retires 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,301,992 times

Advertisements

Should any marriage gay or strait hold any legal recognition.

I get so sick of all this gay marriage debate as I feel all people in this country should have equal rights period. Why should any marriage be legally recognized? All it does is complicate our tax codes and legal system really. Most people having children these days aren't married anyways so the whole argument of legality regarding children and marriage is pointless.

What's your take on it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,406,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Should any marriage gay or strait hold any legal recognition.

I get so sick of all this gay marriage debate as I feel all people in this country should have equal rights period. Why should any marriage be legally recognized? All it does is complicate our tax codes and legal system really. Most people having children these days aren't married anyways so the whole argument of legality regarding children and marriage is pointless.

What's your take on it?
So many things that you say here are right.
Marriage is a social contract between two people.
With the present divorce rate, marriage is no longer what it was many years ago. The concept of marriage should change and not be a political footbal but a right of all if that is the contract they want to enter into.
I personally believe in Marriage but not as a religous thing...... It is a commitment made by two people and gives needed security to loving couples as to decissions made about one's spouse.
Marriage should be a legally binding contract for the benefit of the spouses.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM

365 posts, read 610,474 times
Marriage should be a legally binding contract. So that the people in love should get all of the benefits. That would be awarded to a Hetero couple.

I wonder if parties in a Gay marriage will have to basically prove their "gayness". People basically have poor scruples. I could see a lot of false gay men getting married.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM

2,840 posts, read 3,320,443 times
Marriage is a three-party contract between two persons of legal capacity and the state, which acknowledges its consent to the contract by issuance of a license. The right to be married is strictly a matter of state law; and each state has the sovereign power to enact laws governing it.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Marriage is a three-party contract between two persons of legal capacity and the state, which acknowledges its consent to the contract by issuance of a license. The right to be married is strictly a matter of state law; and each state has the sovereign power to enact laws governing it.
Cool story bro Now what's your take on it

Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM

69,364 posts, read 60,445,341 times
Its a legal contract, why would it not have legal reconization?

The correct quiestion might be should it hold any financial, ie tax benefits.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM

26,684 posts, read 27,107,258 times
Many in the anti-same-sex marriage crowd say that marriage is primarily for raising children, so if that's true, I think that a married couple who does not produce or adopt children within two years of marriage should have their license revoked.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its a legal contract, why would it not have legal reconization?

The correct quiestion might be should it hold any financial, ie tax benefits.
well duh
the question was "should marraige hold any legal recognion"

should it be a legal contract or just a social contract is the point of the thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

14,284 posts, read 19,215,952 times
With my health issues, I have to focus around issues surrounding death. If I were to die, I want my future husband to have the final say about my end-of-life care, burial, etc etc. The man I marry would be someone I see eye to eye with - that's not something I can say about my parents. I want the person I love to be in the room with me as I pass. In many states, a same sex partner could be barred from that experience.

There is so much beyond just taxes and childrearing that the legal contract of marriage protects.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
With my health issues, I have to focus around issues surrounding death. If I were to die, I want my future husband to have the final say about my end-of-life care, burial, etc etc. The man I marry would be someone I see eye to eye with - that's not something I can say about my parents. I want the person I love to be in the room with me as I pass. In many states, a same sex partner could be barred from that experience.

There is so much beyond just taxes and childrearing that the legal contract of marriage protects.

Anyone of legal age should be required to write a will And it should be up to an individual to decide who is allowed to to be in a room with them or make medical decisions for them regarding hospital stuff. That's something that should be on you're drivers license/id card like being an organ donor IMO.
See what I did there.......... problem solved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies