Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Great. We'll topple another dictator and replace him with a pro-jihadist group like the Muslim Brotherhood. At this rate the caliphate will be making a comeback sooner than expected.
I found it telling when a Syrian rebel was video'ed the other day he said

"Where is America, where is your compassion?!?"

How about freeing yourselves? What would we do if a large Muslim population tried to start toppling the British government and they had to declare martial law to secure their power. Would we invade?

Always another side of the coin. I think the Syrian leader is wrong for what he is doing. But we shouldn't invade or bomb them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:45 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Great. We'll topple another dictator and replace him with a pro-jihadist group like the Muslim Brotherhood. At this rate the caliphate will be making a comeback sooner than expected.
There is only one criteria for the US to topple a nation. It doesn't matter if you are democratic or a dictator. We are happy to co-exist with both.

The only question you need to ask is....is the Nation able to be controlled by the US/Israel partnership?

Mubarek? He was in our pocket...so he's OK

Yemen? Dictator OK? Saudi? Dictators OK...and on and on.

Ghadaffi, Syria, Iran wouldn't play ball so they are being toppled.

So these other posters can cut the B.S that making military plans to attack Syria is some sort of prudent professional act on our part.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

How about freeing yourselves? What would we do if a large Muslim population tried to start toppling the British government and they had to declare martial law to secure their power. Would we invade?

Always another side of the coin. I think the Syrian leader is wrong for what he is doing. But we shouldn't invade or bomb them.
I defy any one on this board to name a Nation we have attacked and occupied where some small group faction inside the country was not used to justify are being there? It's standard procedure on the part of American government to claim some "humane interest" for illegally attacking and occupying 7 Muslim countries.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I defy any one on this board to name a Nation we have attacked and occupied where some small group faction inside the country was not used to justify are being there? It's standard procedure on the part of American government to claim some "humane interest" for illegally attacking and occupying 7 Muslim countries.
Its not just Muslims. Hell we still occupy Germany, Japan, and Korea.

We still occupy places we took over in the Spanish American war.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"Preliminary" my tookus. The finger has been itchy for a while now.
Yes, every since G.W.Bush made his "Axis of Evil" speech both Iran and Sryria have been in the crosshairs of political ambition.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:04 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I also don't understand why people never get rid of their dictatorships themselves. It is a bit typical of the Arab world, they are notoriously unorganized and inefficient Aren't there any suicide bombers who could blow up Assad and his gang for a change?
Getting engaged in the Arab world is a dangerous game, today's good guys may well be tomorrow's bad guys, and the West just doesn't know what the future brings.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:21 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
What business is it of the US what happens in Syria?
That's a question of national policy. And the military very much does not make policy, they carry it out. Being ready if and when the civilian authorities decide to use a military option - that's part of that job.

I'm as peaceful as they come, but there's nothing gained by not planning. At best, the thing blows over and a bunch of staff officers practiced their planning skills. At worst, the entire powder keg goes off, and then it's a bit late to start planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies