Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Got some credible links to back up your assertions?
Don't read much? How about the Food Nutrition bill?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6710DS20100802

Quote:
The legislation, if passed, would effectively allow the Agriculture Department to ban junk food in schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Don't read much? How about the Food Nutrition bill?

Pass child nutrition bill: Michelle Obama | Reuters
You mean the re-authorization of the bill that has already been in place since LBJ was in office? The one that the Senate passed unanimously, and the House passed 264 to 157? The one that already allowed the USDA to ban junk food in schools? The same USDA that counts pizza sauce and french fries as vegetables? Yeah, you should sweat that big time.
Aside from an increase in some of the nutritional requirements, this re-authorization of an already existing law essentially maintains the status quo at the federal level towards school lunches. Radical!! Scary! Run for the hills!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
You mean the re-authorization of the bill that has already been in place since LBJ was in office? The one that the Senate passed unanimously, and the House passed 264 to 157? The one that already allowed the USDA to ban junk food in schools? The same USDA that counts pizza sauce and french fries as vegetables? Yeah, you should sweat that big time.
Aside from an increase in some of the nutritional requirements, this re-authorization of an already existing law essentially maintains the status quo at the federal level towards school lunches. Radical!! Scary! Run for the hills!
Yeah that USDA because the food manufacturers want THEIR food in the schools. They have money to lobby and you don't so YOU LOSE.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah that USDA because the food manufacturers want THEIR food in the schools. They have money to lobby and you don't so YOU LOSE.
Well, I don't, because I don't eat in school cafeterias, and I don't have any kids, so really, I don't care. I just don't understand why everyone is in such a tizzy about Michelle Obama promoting healthy eating.

Besides, isn't this thread supposed to be about the military anyways? Seems like we got a little off track.
Apologies for any role I might have had in that.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:03 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
The link you cited (After you get past the useless opinion portion) is a transcript of her speaking engagement at the National Restaurant Association. Apparently they cared what she had to say, since they invited her to speak at their event. I would say you are well within your bounds to speak for yourself, but the establishment might have a different opinion if, knowing full well where she stands on the subject of healthy eating, they're asking her to speak at their events about it.

Again, there is no call in her remarks for a mandate, for any legislation, or for the establishment of a department of salad (And none of those are within her power to enact anyways, you know, right?)
She congratulates the association for their efforts thus far and challenges them to continue those efforts. You know the difference between this and telling someone that they have to do something, don't you?

If you continue play willfully obtuse, you're not making anyone look stupid except for yourself.
Quote:
The legislation was backed by the Obama administration and the first lady, who has made childhood obesity a central focus.
In a lame duck session of course........

House Passes Child Nutrition Bill, Michelle Obama Calls Legislation Groundbreaking - ABC News

Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Bimbo - in its popular English language usage, describes a woman who is physically attractive but is perceived to have a low intelligence or poor education.

Now, many here on the right bash The First Lady's appearance and I would not expect more from them, but do you really think anyone believes that she is stupid and uneducated?

Stupid and uneducated is someone that has issues with word usage. Believe me, no one gives a damn what type of unhealthy food you gorge yourself on. If you can point out where you have been mandated to eat healthy, please provide the link.
Trans fat ban in effect - Boston.com

Old 02-15-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
LOL

I think I'll go fix myself a chili dog for dinner - and wash it down with a glass of cheap wine.
A chili dog and cheep wine on Valentine's Day? That doesn't sound very good. I had a huge slab of prime rib with a nice baked potato....

Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Yeah, screw veggies.

Give those fighting men fried chicken, steak in butter, and everything slathered in cheese!
I have an idea
they are putting their life on the line for us
I trust them to decide what the hell they want to eat
when ms michell obama hack picks up a weapon
and is battle with *******s that want you dead, THEN she can say what she wants
until then
MRS OBAMA:
SHUT UP AND SIT THE FUC* DOWN!!!gosh, I can not stand this *****!!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Everyone should have a choice in what they eat and if you want to eat chicken fried steak and french fries all day, then so be it.

However, there is nothing wrong with forcing the military dining halls to actually OFFER a choice of food so that military members do really have that choice. As it stands now, they don't have those choices. When you're in the military and sent somewhere, most times your only choice for food is the chow hall. Why should you risk your health due to only having poor eating choices available when something better is possible? How is that bad?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
A chili dog and cheep wine on Valentine's Day? That doesn't sound very good. I had a huge slab of prime rib with a nice baked potato....
And what did your SO/date have for dinner?
Funny you didnt mention that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies