Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree that there is a strain of bigotry running through conservative America?
Yes 54 80.60%
No 13 19.40%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times

Advertisements

His statement comes on the heels of CPAC's decision to ban gay conservative groups from their conference. He compares bigotry against gays with bigotry against blacks in the 1950s and 1960s.

Video of Goldberg on Fox News:

» Bernie Goldberg – “I’m immensely uncomfortable with the bigotry on the right”

CPAC 2012 Moves Away From Gay Conservatives And Closer To The Politics Of Hate | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:04 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
I like Bernie Goldberg and I agree with him. Liberals are loony, and I'm not comfortable with bigotry. Good, we're not the only ones.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:24 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,085 times
It is not racist to complain homosexuals are destructive to society.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-10-2012 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-10-2012, 03:41 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Frankly, I'm not so sure racial bigotry is all that dead among them. I know plenty of die-hard, evangelical Republican's who simply will not support anything Obama does because he's black.

Of course Goldberg can't say that. Nobody can, but it seems to be true anyhow.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
i would agree with goldberg that there is some bigotry on the right.

but i also point to post #4 for an obvious example of bigotry on the left.

i would like to see BOTH republicans and democrats stick to the ECONOMIC issues facing the country-after all, elections are about trying to find leaders to run a country.

and not about running a country into the ground.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:49 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i would agree with goldberg that there is some bigotry on the right.

but i also point to post #4 for an obvious example of bigotry on the left.

i would like to see BOTH republicans and democrats stick to the ECONOMIC issues facing the country-after all, elections are about trying to find leaders to run a country.

and not about running a country into the ground.
I lean right and also agree with Goldberg, it seems the {R} party has drifted far away from this :

Quote:
CPAC’s move pushes the American conservative movement dangerously away from Reagan’s Big Tent,

Yep, lets keep throwing people that agree with us on a lot of issues right out of the tent

Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Frankly, I'm not so sure racial bigotry is all that dead among them. I know plenty of die-hard, evangelical Republican's who simply will not support anything Obama does because he's black.

Of course I can't really blame liberals for continually playing the race/gender/sexual orientation cards. If they didn't they would have to defend Obama's record which is indefensible.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

I find such arguments very slanted...and apparently lacking in a critique of a much BROADER spectrum that includes both sides of political ideology.

Now...I happen to agree with Mr. Goldberg. There IS bigotry in the conservative ranks...but there is bigotry in the liberal ranks as well. There are people on the left who voted for....and will vote again for obama simply BECAUSE he is black. There are also people on the left who will not listen to anyone on the right...dismissing them and their arguments because the feel some ridiculous sense of superiority. I find people on the left to be very aloof...and actually most of them are unable to defend their positions at all. They remind me of talking parrots whose trick is to make statements but not have conversations.

There are also people on the left who HATE rich people...who HATE Christians...who HATE white people.

my argument is that bigotry is HUMAN NATURE. Our primitive side...the side that gives us a sense of family and comes out when we feel that our family is threatened...by NATURE makes us suspicious of any and all who are different from us. Like the pride of lions who drive out any other lions trying to join. That is in OUR nature as well...and to deny it is just plain naive. And I also agree that such bigotry is more evident in some than in others....but that goes for ALL people, not just conservatives.

I voted that I AGREE with Bernie about bigotry...but I think that although what he says IS true...it should include ALL people. Because there are no people who are not effected by nature and what instincts we are born with.

I think the whole Ellen Degeneres thing is stupid. Nobody should call for her being fired because she is GAY. If people want to boycott Penney's for hiring her that is their prerogative...but that is as far as it goes.

It is these kinds of things that DIVIDE us more.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
I am a non-religious right winger, and thus for example was pro-gays-in-military before it was cool. I suppose I have to agree w/ Bernie just on the basis of the gays in the military issue. Many on the right did oppose it. Likewise w/ CPAC.

I'm just not sure you can say apply the same word 'bigotry' to anti-gay sentiment as to racism. It's just not the same thing. Racism to me is inimical to the American way and I actively oppose it whereever I see it. 'Homophobia' OTOH is a) encoded into the Judaistic belief system that spawned our civilization b) no matter how well accepted, seems normal and natural for people still to look askcance at it.

I compare it to 'anti-short-ism.' Being a short guy (5'7") I have dealt with this all my life. Studies show that when you're short it's tougher to get the job, get the girl, etc. But I didn't go thru life perturbed about it. I just accept that I was born different, adapt, and overcome. Being short led me into the sport of distance running instead of basketball, baseball, or football, and now I'm in 100 times better shape than the obese six-footers from high schools, and their wives all wish they had me instead of those fat a**s.

Now rambling, though. I'd just say to Bernie, yeah, maybe, but no not really.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:19 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
His statement comes on the heels of CPAC's decision to ban gay conservative groups from their conference. He compares bigotry against gays with bigotry against blacks in the 1950s and 1960s.

Video of Goldberg on Fox News:

» Bernie Goldberg – “I’m immensely uncomfortable with the bigotry on the right”

CPAC 2012 Moves Away From Gay Conservatives And Closer To The Politics Of Hate | Fox News
His comparison is a failure. Gay is not a race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies