Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 05:20 PM

23,612 posts, read 23,924,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Well there you go, case is settled, the guy was in the right.
Selective quoting issues, SP?

Maybe you'd like to address the paragraph that makes the actual point of the post, instead of the follow-up anecdote?

Or maybe you wouldn't. It's probably too painful - I understand. But just in case, here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're making an assumption about how the girl feels, based on your own fear of an inanimate object. You know nothing about this family other than you've seen online in the last few days. How could you possibly know what the girl is thinking?
Of course, we all know the answer, and I can understand why you both avoided the question, and also felt the need to attack me.

Like I said, there are some interesting psychological traits being demonstrated in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Yes, it does bring out interesting psychological traits. For instance, it causes some posters to believe that they are omniscient and then post lengthy screeds filled with hyperbole to try to "prove" how "above" everybody else they are. Which indicates a superiority complex based upon nothing more their personal interpretation of the situation. The ironic part is that they don't (or won't) grasp that they are doing exactly what they are condemning others for... But hey, they are probably lost causes anyway -- right?

P.S. It wouldn't have mattered to me if he had used a gun or his foot or a rock to destroy it -- the point is daddy is a hypocrite because he is claiming to be trying to teach his daughter that outbursts of anger (especially in public) are not OK. But hey, if compartmentalizing people makes it easier for you to behave as if people who disagree with you are sub-human, go for it.
"Outbursts of anger?" You've demonstrated more anger in this thread than the man did in the video he created, which further proves my point.

As for "proving how 'above' everybody else they are," how about all the people (yourself included) who are passing judgements about not only this incident, but about the parenting skills of the father in general, how is daughter has reacted to this, how she's going to perceive her father as an adult, etc? Talk about people "proving how 'above' everybody else they are"...

Your bias is so thick and blinding, you're apparently unable to see just how deeply you're enveloped within it.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
No, you dig yourself in deeper every time you post. But by all means keep going....it's great entertainment.

Inanimate object? Seriously? Did you really, honest-to-god, post that on a public forum with a straight face and expect to be taken seriously?

Stands to reason that a person who has already gotten in digs at others' parenting skills would think his own family relationships are the standard of excellence. You don't have a clue what your teenagers really think.

You're right about one thing, though. This thread is revealing psychologically. Those who applaud this nutcase don't understand the difference between a Robert De Niro movie and real life.
Quote:
I wouldn't expect anything different from you, CV.

And for the record, yes, guns are inanimate objects. Perhaps you need to consult a dictionary if you're experiencing some confusion over the term.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Citizen calling for help? Nah, I put the Alpha Bravo Charlie in Chuck's Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! I always try to be nice to Chuck. He is never nice to me. I could make him jealous and offend him in my sleep! Whatever man!
As an "expert," I would expect you to know that 10 codes vary from agency to agency.

Then again, there are a lot of self-proclaimed "experts" in the world, who are experts only in their own egotism.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
To quote the villain from Die hard, "I think you've seen too many John Wayne films" These guys treat guns like toys. I don't go walking around waving a butcher knife in front of kids, not even in a joking fashion. Why would a gun be any different. Oh, I guess that means I fear guns and butcher knives.
I must have missed the child in the video. Can you note the time code for me? I'll watch carefully.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
The point being this guy is lucky he wasn't arrested.
He didn't break any laws.

Quote:
You don't do something like that. You just don't!
Apparently you do, in some cases. And there are plenty of people who agree. Seeing as how no laws were broken, and both the police and the social service agency have paid him a visit, I'd say that you're the one who's of the minority opinion. Social service/CPS agencies are notorious for taking kids away from their parents at the slightest hint of a problem. If they left her there, then clearly there is no threat.

Quote:
You can be arrested for that you know.
You can repeat it as many times as you like but it won't become any less false.

Since you're obviously still having trouble understanding, let me type it loudly:

YOU'RE WRONG!

Maybe you'll understand better now.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 PM

1,187 posts, read 992,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Posting a profanity-laced rant on a social network by a 15 year old is acceptable to you? Damn,......no wonder adolescents have no respect for their elders: their elders have no concept of what is/is not acceptable behavior for teenagers.

I couldn't rep you again! This is SOOO very true!! But that is not how I'm teaching my sons. They respect their elders and their parents... and both of them have seen this video and they both knew what was going to happen LONG before it did! LOL! They also know that the idea is one their parents like, so they'd best behave. LOL!

Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,071,291 times
I like this Dad's style.
He paid for the laptop, he can destroy it anyway he likes...people coddle their kids way too much these days, which is why they end up in jail. This Dad warned her and then carried through when she showed disrespect. Awesome Dad...with a great sense of humor!

Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 PM

1,187 posts, read 992,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
... and if she didn't vent on facebook and instead in notes to friends (the good old days) would he have acted like a complete maniac?
He probably wouldn't have acted the same way because HER actions wouldn't have had the same ramifications then. By posting on a PUBLIC forum, such as facebook, which NEVER goes away, and anyone can see it, then she wasn't just "venting to friends", but to the world at large and to their immediate relationships (friends and family members) for all to see. That is why his actions was a good level of reaction to what she did. It was supposed to be the same level of humiliation.... it just ended up getting more press/play than her original post did.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,062,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
He probably wouldn't have acted the same way because HER actions wouldn't have had the same ramifications then. By posting on a PUBLIC forum, such as facebook, which NEVER goes away, and anyone can see it, then she wasn't just "venting to friends", but to the world at large and to their immediate relationships (friends and family members) for all to see. That is why his actions was a good level of reaction to what she did. It was supposed to be the same level of humiliation.... it just ended up getting more press/play than her original post did.
Oh boy. This is what I mean. Parents are NOT meant to humiliate their children. They're not meant to act like petulant teens themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies