Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

The unions cost are a red herring, unrelated to every workers freedom not to associate, w/o regard to whether a union exists at the workplace or not.

RTW will become the norm all across America within a few years. More states will join the many who are working on it right now, joining the large group who already enjoy such freedoms.

If unions cannot get dones w/o resorting to the extortion of closed shop states, they have earned the demise they have enjoyed the last 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In right to work states, if a worker wants to exercise his or her option not to give to a union to support higher pay and better benefits, then shouldn't be surprised, if it eventually all goes away.

And once again for the 100th time, if you don't want any part of a union, then don't be so wrong and foolish enough to yourself to become a worker in a unionized work place. As rare as it is to find a union in most fields of work, that should be a real easy thing to do.
Oh right...so if you weld or pour steel you should just give up your career/job because you DON'T have a CHOICE when it comes to joining a union.

Do you realize how backwards that is, how hypocritical to the normal stance of CHOICE from the Left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I would imagine what top union heads are paid look small compared to the million$ that corporate CEOs and other upper execs make. And then local union presidents may only receive compensation and paid ZERO.

You already have the right to not associate with a union by not being dumb enough to join a unionized workplace, if you strongly oppose labor unions.
Yeah, chump change. Where have you been with all the news over the last few years about union heads/workers receiving millions in compensation and committing disgusting abuses of the taxpayer?

The union apparatus doesn't produce a damn thing....why should they get CEO-level salary of a corporation that provides goods, services and PROFITS?

Nearly Two Dozen Chicago Union Bosses Get $56 Million Golden Pension Parachutes*|*LaborUnionReport.com

Nearly Two Dozen Chicago Union Bosses Get $56 Million Golden Pension Parachutes

This is just in Chicago...think of what the heads of the top national unions are making.

Fat Cat Union Salaries Exposed! - Politics - Fox Nation

Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh right...so if you weld or pour steel you should just give up your career/job because you DON'T have a CHOICE when it comes to joining a union.

Do you realize how backwards that is, how hypocritical to the normal stance of CHOICE from the Left?
If you get higher pay and better benefits at a unionized place of work why would you be so bitterly opposed to being required to give money to a union? I know, common sense tells me I should support the union as long as it is working out to provide me higher pay and benefits.

However, if a number of people are making low pay and have sorry benefits, workers can just vote to throw the union out and enjoy a nice little raise in pay, assuming that the boss doesn't think it's a good time to cut pay.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM

380 posts, read 376,803 times
I don't want to hire blacks for my workplace. There are other companies out there that do hire blacks. Let the black man find these other companies.

I don't think women work as well a men, so I don't want to hire them. There are other companies out there that do hire women. Let her find these other companies.

Homosexuals are perversions of humanity, so I don't want to hire them. There are other companies out there that do hire homosexuals. Let homosexuals find these other companies.

If you don't want to join a union there are other companies out there that are non-union. Go find them.

If its not right in the first 3 instances, why should it be right in the last. Discrimination is discrimination.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiggan View Post
I don't want to hire blacks for my workplace. There are other companies out there that do hire blacks. Let the black man find these other companies.

I don't think women work as well a men, so I don't want to hire them. There are other companies out there that do hire women. Let her find these other companies.

Homosexuals are perversions of humanity, so I don't want to hire them. There are other companies out there that do hire homosexuals. Let homosexuals find these other companies.

If you don't want to join a union there are other companies out there that are non-union. Go find them.

If its not right in the first 3 instances, why should it be right in the last. Discrimination is discrimination.
Your points were so lame and invalid. No one wants only women, blacks and homosexuals to pay for better working conditions. We all want decent working conditions. And my question wasn't answered which was: If you get higher pay and better benefits at a unionized place of work why would you be so bitterly opposed to being required to give money to a union?

To listen to some people, workers should demand their union representation for FREE, something that I was taught is little different from wanting to be a thief. I was also taught that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-16-2012 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Yeah, chump change. Where have you been with all the news over the last few years about union heads/workers receiving millions in compensation and committing disgusting abuses of the taxpayer?

The union apparatus doesn't produce a damn thing....why should they get CEO-level salary of a corporation that provides goods, services and PROFITS?

Nearly Two Dozen Chicago Union Bosses Get $56 Million Golden Pension Parachutes*|*LaborUnionReport.com

Nearly Two Dozen Chicago Union Bosses Get $56 Million Golden Pension Parachutes

This is just in Chicago...think of what the heads of the top national unions are making.

Fat Cat Union Salaries Exposed! - Politics - Fox Nation
Once again, if unionized workers feel the union is ripping them off and not raising their pay and benefits, while the union heads make millions, then the workers can vote to throw the union out, while enjoying at least a 1 or 2% raise in pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies