Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually it would, because the cost to supply the US would be far lower than had we needed to import it.
The game with the Canadian pipelines has been to get costs lower for export, meaning, pipelines. China is a partner up there as well, in pipelines. Canada wanted to get as much oil to the coast as possible, as it's cheaper to do, and commands a premium over what they get right now. The tar sands oil is more expensive to refine, and we'd end up setting up refineries to export their oil.

We have cheap gas in the Midwest now, because of the glut of Canadian oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It would appear we are still below the average price but the trend remains the same, upward, upward, upward.
What do you see that's going downward, downward, downward?

Wages and jobs maybe.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You are wrong about Bush . He tried to act on getting the housing act in order but was rejected by the dems with Maxine Waters and Barney Frank leading the way to bad mortgages. They said that fannie and freddie are fine. Bush knew better and three times tried to get the dems to act of legislation to stop the mess.

Obama rejected it flat out on the Keystone pipeline.

Fact is Obama spends and has the fed print more . Obama is the most wasteful president I have ever seen throwing millions away of green energy projects that he is too inept to know will fail.

Bush was not perfect, but he did move to find solutions . Obama is a run away train with his agenda pushing us into debt that will never be paid. I know it and so should you. China is not stupid.. they are losing money on the debt as the dollar value shrinks with trillions more money being printed.

In time China won't want our debt. And we will have to default on our programs , entitlements and services. Just wait till you see the riots. It is not going to be a good time to be an American.
First off, I agree the Keystone pipeline will be good, just not for the reasons you think it will be good. Second, Bush was in nirvana, having 100% party control of the entire government for 6 years. Barney had little power, Maxine Water even less. (thank god)

Bush found no solutions, he simply ran with the flow that gave the appearance of a good economy, until it crashed. Had he been even remotely a fiscal conservative, it might have better prepared the country for his massive spending largess.

Stop reading the headlines. Understand the concepts. Gas was very high in 2008, record highs. There was a reason for that. There is a reason that food prices are high now, and a reason that milk is so costly. Barney Frank is not the reason.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 PM

57,266 posts, read 26,192,233 times
It took 17 pages to get to the point that these plants were no longer necessary and generated increased levels of mercury and other toxins, sounds like a win - win.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It took 17 pages to get to the point that these plants were no longer necessary and generated increased levels of mercury and other toxins, sounds like a win - win.
Dude, you gotta change your settings, this is page 5 for me.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Please post the link to the bill from Congress shutting down these coal plants. Until you can, you prove YOU failed school.

WRONG.. There has been no Congressional mandate to to shut down more power plants.

ARRRGGGGHHHH!

I'm growing weary of teaching you basic civics, but...one more time.

Congress has established environmental targets relating to all kinds of things, from mercury to CO2 to whatever, in several different permutations of the original clean air act of the 1960's. The EPA was created, BY CONGRESS, for the express purpose of regulating those clean air requirements. That department has the authority of The People behind it, via their elected representatives on The Hill, and the Constitutional mandate to enforce the will of Congress.

Congress has never been willing to tell a federal agency or department HOW to do its job; that would be micro-managing. So, they leave it up to the department to develop rules and regulations to enforce their will.

The EPA, in this case, has issued new regulations to do exactly what Congress told them to do and the power companies have decided ON THEIR OWN that it's cheaper to close those plants than to bring them into compliance with the new rules.

Is that clear now? If not, you're on your own, brother.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
AGREE^^^^

Could you cite the "Act" for the troll, AGAIN? I'm on a smart phone and don't have time, too busy making money.

Here is the SCOTUS ruling; Whitman v. American Trucking Assns., Inc. - 531 U.S. 457 (2001) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center
No, I will not. The public laws are available for anyone to see and if I found, and posted, the original clean air act, plus all it's changes and amendments over the years, I'd be guilty of overwhelming this site's bandwidth limits.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
First off, I agree the Keystone pipeline will be good, just not for the reasons you think it will be good. Second, Bush was in nirvana, having 100% party control of the entire government for 6 years. Barney had little power, Maxine Water even less. (thank god)

Bush found no solutions, he simply ran with the flow that gave the appearance of a good economy, until it crashed. Had he been even remotely a fiscal conservative, it might have better prepared the country for his massive spending largess.

Stop reading the headlines. Understand the concepts. Gas was very high in 2008, record highs. There was a reason for that. There is a reason that food prices are high now, and a reason that milk is so costly. Barney Frank is not the reason.
Oh yeah, Bush controlled the whole mess with the house and senate with no control.. are you saying that!! Do you know the democrats have power too... or are you making false statements?

Oh Barney Frank is the reason of the lending of money on bad loan practices and he propped up the lending and it continued for years.

McCain's Early Recognition of Fannie/Freddie Crisis - YouTube

Old 02-14-2012, 05:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
ARRRGGGGHHHH!

I'm growing weary of teaching you basic civics, but...one more time.

Congress has established environmental targets relating to all kinds of things, from mercury to CO2 to whatever, in several different permutations of the original clean air act of the 1960's. The EPA was created, BY CONGRESS, for the express purpose of regulating those clean air requirements. That department has the authority of The People behind it, via their elected representatives on The Hill, and the Constitutional mandate to enforce the will of Congress.

Congress has never been willing to tell a federal agency or department HOW to do its job; that would be micro-managing. So, they leave it up to the department to develop rules and regulations to enforce their will.
ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH, (See, I can do it also)

The Department has the authority of the people behind it? What kind of bs is that? Really, thats as low as you go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The EPA, in this case, has issued new regulations to do exactly what Congress told them to do and the power companies have decided ON THEIR OWN that it's cheaper to close those plants than to bring them into compliance with the new rules.

Is that clear now? If not, you're on your own, brother.
You mean you are now saing what I said a long time ago, that the EPA HAS ISSUED NEW REGULATIONS, NOT CONGRESS? The why the hell are you arguing with me then?

The fact that they decided on their own, that they cant afford to comply with the EPA standards, doesnt mean that the EPA didnt set the dam standards

Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Not building a pipeline in the wrong place at the wrong time for the wrong reasons is a win. Blaming the EPA for shutting down a couple of old dirty worn out coal burners is typical. Shutting down these relics is a win for the consumers and anyone that happens to be breathing air in the vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies