Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really? Please list the '90s cars that got 50 mpg.

And a new Prius 'C' is $20K, hardly a stretch for anyone in the new car market. It's the 'Bigger is better' mentality that killed a lot of efficiency in cars. People fell in love with SUVs, little more than pick-up trucks with tin roofs and fancy interiors that were HUGE profit generators for the manufacturers, they built what they could sell.
//www.city-data.com/forum/22820630-post99.html

Top Ten High MPG Cars – 1994 Model Year:
  • Geo Metro – XFi 3-cyl., 1.0 liter – MPG: 53 city / 58 highway
  • Honda Civic – HB VX 4-cyl., 1.5 liter – MPG: 47 city / 56 highway
  • Honda Civic – HB VX 4-cyl., 1.5 liter – MPG: 44 city / 51 highway
  • Pontiac Firefly – 3-cyl., 1.0 liter – MPG: 46 city / 50 highway
  • Chevrolet Sprint – 3-cyl., 1.0 liter – MPG: 46 city / 50 highway
  • Geo Metro – 3-cyl., 1.0 liter – MPG: 46 city / 49 highway
  • Honda Civic – 4-cyl., 1.5 liter – MPG: 42 city / 46 highway
  • Honda Civic – 4-cyl., 1.5 liter – MPG: 40 city / 45 highway
  • Suzuki Swift – 4-cyl., 1.3 liter – MPG: 37 city / 44 highway
  • Ford Aspire – 4-cyl., 1.3 liter – MPG: 36 city / 43 highway
http://www.mpgomatic.com/2007/10/23/...mpg-cars-1994/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
My home's powered by a nuke plant's very reasonably priced clean electricity and it rarely gets below freezing in winter, I DO enjoy.
There must not be enough libs in your state, or else they would have banned the construction of that nuke power plant you are boasting about.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You don't like the thread don't post in it. FACT is the regulations imposed by the obama led EPA are shutting down coal plants. Sorry if you don't like the truth being told. Now go play with your hot wheels.
From your linked article: Ohio based FirstEnergy Corporation announces it will close three coal fired power plants in West Virginia by this fall.

Notice it is the power company itself closing the plants rather than bring them up to standards, NOT the EPA or Obama.

You're apparently the one who doesn't like the truth here.

Now go play with your MayPo

Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM

867 posts, read 498,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So, what's the problem? I'm not seeing a problem here.
Your self-professed inability to see this problem is stunning.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/22820630-post99.html

Top Ten High MPG Cars – 1994 Model Year:
  • Geo Metro – XFi 3-cyl., 1.0 liter – MPG: 53 city / 58 highway
  • Honda Civic – HB VX 4-cyl., 1.5 liter – MPG: 47 city / 56 highway
  • Honda Civic – HB VX 4-cyl., 1.5 liter – MPG: 44 city / 51 highway
  • Pontiac Firefly – 3-cyl., 1.0 liter – MPG: 46 city / 50 highway
  • Chevrolet Sprint – 3-cyl., 1.0 liter – MPG: 46 city / 50 highway
  • Geo Metro – 3-cyl., 1.0 liter – MPG: 46 city / 49 highway
  • Honda Civic – 4-cyl., 1.5 liter – MPG: 42 city / 46 highway
  • Honda Civic – 4-cyl., 1.5 liter – MPG: 40 city / 45 highway
  • Suzuki Swift – 4-cyl., 1.3 liter – MPG: 37 city / 44 highway
  • Ford Aspire – 4-cyl., 1.3 liter – MPG: 36 city / 43 highway
http://www.mpgomatic.com/2007/10/23/...mpg-cars-1994/
You've said they were killed by EPA/safety regs.

HONDA Civics are still around with good reason, they're good cars.

The others? Were they actually killed or did they die from lack of interest?

And as I've said, the Prius 'C' is $20K proving EPA/safety regulations are meetable in an affordable new car.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
From your linked article: Ohio based FirstEnergy Corporation announces it will close three coal fired power plants in West Virginia by this fall.

Notice it is the power company itself closing the plants rather than bring them up to standards, NOT the EPA or Obama.

Whose STANDARDS can they not afford to bring them up to?? THE EPA. My Lord if you spin anymore you'll drill yourself into the ground. I hope you have a permit handy or you will be fined by the EPA!! LOL

Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do I sound mad? Where do you get that? If you want to bailout failing coal plants, then you can do it with your own money. Like I said, I prefer nuke plants which create far more power, cheaper, and cleaner. It is quite simple.
The power plant down the road from me had to invest $40 million for smokestack scrubbers under the Bush admin, and now new EPA regs are forcing tens of millions of more in costs. They are a non-profit co-op, and the federal regs, mandates and laws are killing them. It's not about staying in business, its about surviving an all out assault by a government that wants to destroy them.

We have no other electrical power around us except for coal, and a few municipal peak-power, diesel generators and one jet fuel powered generator. We cannot build nuclear, and Obama is killing us with these new regs. A neighboring state has some wind power, but it's really expensive and cannot replace coal power.

All the while we are suffering under Obama's "worst economy since the Great Depression".

Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
If their emission standards are below an acceptable level, then they should revamp them. If they can't do that without to much cost, then they shut down.

No one shut these plants down because they were coal, its because the equipment was antiquated.

Coal will be an important part of our energy needs for the next century, no doubt, but regulating their emission standards isn't a bad thing. Happens to cars every year, and no one is putting auto companies out of business. Some lines may end, or need to have their engines and emission systems changed, but they aren't closed. No one is closing coal plants whole sale, its that they are to old to be still operating under the current conditions.

Cleaning coal emissions is possible, and cost effective, otherwise all plants would be shut down. The demand for energy is there, the means to provide it cleaner is there with coal, whats so hard to understand about this?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I see. So if new EPA mandates and regs makes it impossible to operate a coal power plant anymore, and you are forced to close it, then it's not the EPA's fault?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I still see no evidence of any bailing out of anything other than the government subsidizing your nuclear plant. So again you are picking and choosing the winners instead of allowing the free market to flourish.
You are the one demanding the government change to rules for some outdated tiny coal plants, not me. I am not picking and choosing anything, you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies