Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
LOL...

"A little money"? MOST of their income is tips.

$2.13 is the minimum wage for waiters/waitresses and bartenders in most states and it's relatively rare for restaurants/bars to pay more in these states. Even with the $2.13 minimum wage, many waiters/waitresses and bartenders are still making $10-$15 per hour or even more.
Maybe we should make all customer service workers work for tips. Just think of how much that would help businesses. They'd make more money, and then they'd hire more people, trickle-down economics would kick in, and the world would be perfect! (Yeah, right.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Maybe we should make all customer service workers work for tips. Just think of how much that would help businesses. They'd make more money, and then they'd hire more people, trickle-down economics would kick in, and the world would be perfect! (Yeah, right.)
We'd get better customer service.

I have another idea though - how about we outlaw tips and make the minimum wage the same for tipped and non-tipped employees? You do realize the tipped employees' income would go down, right?

I'm just curious - how much do you think a waiter/waitress/bartender deserves to make? $25 per hour? $35 per hour?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Quote:
Senate bill could cut servers' hourly wages - OrlandoSentinel.com

This is such garbage. They're already paying restaurant workers less than the minimum wage, and now they want to cut that by more than 50%?

If they can't afford to pay their workers a decent minimum wage, they shouldn't be in business at all. What's next? Will they eliminate the minimum wage completely? If this passes, I hope the workers walk.
From a Republican:

Its the free market, get over it! If the super-rich want to pay you $2.00/hr its their right! They are so smart and so much more privileged than the rest of us because they are so spectacularly brilliant and do so much to make America what it is. So if you are so stupid that you have to work for them then you have to do what they say...NO MATTER WHAT! Its the 'free-market'!

And the FREE market is what has made America so great...Not it's people...Not unions forming in the early 20th century and helping with the industrial revolution...NO its the titans of the FREE market like Donald Trump and Mitt Romney that have made America great...You lowlifes making a regular wage have stood in the way of progress!

What the he!! makes you think you are entitled to having a secure job and a liveable wage? If you don't like it then go btack to school...Oh wait thats a waste of 100k...Then you don't like it start your own restaurant...Oh wait that costs a couple hundred grand...Well its your own fault mommy and daddy can't write you a check for 200k to start your own competing restaurant. And its your own fault for not making smart decisions throughout your life to have 200k in the bank to start your own restaurant, so you deserve to lose!

Sincerely,
The Republican Party

Last edited by GAisGreat; 02-11-2012 at 09:34 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I have another idea though - how about we outlaw tips and make the minimum wage the same for tipped and non-tipped employees? You do realize the tipped employees' income would go down, right?
Not if the tipped employees are making the same minimum wage as non-tipped employees.

Quote:
I'm just curious - how much do you think a waiter/waitress/bartender deserves to make? $25 per hour? $35 per hour?
As much as they can. That's not important, though. What is important is that everyone is guaranteed a minimum hourly wage. As a consumer, I think it's also important to make restaurants pay their employees fairly so that I'm not expected to make up the balance of their wages.

I'd like to see an end to the tipping system entirely. I think Republicans love it, though, because it reminds them of slavery.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Not if the tipped employees are making the same minimum wage as non-tipped employees.
Re-read what I said. If the tipped employees are making the same minimum wage as non-tipped employees and tips were eliminated, the tipped employees would make less than they are making now. They are making more than minimum wage (for non-tipped employees) already. In fact, the law requires that the employer make up any difference between their actual income and the minimum wage for non-tipped employees.

Quote:
As much as they can. That's not important, though. What is important is that everyone is guaranteed a minimum hourly wage.

As a consumer, I think it's also important to make restaurants pay their employees fairly so that I'm not expected to make up the balance of their wages.

I'd like to see an end to the tipping system entirely.
How much do you think that $20 steak at a mid-range restaurant will cost after that? How much do you think that $7 glass of relatively low-quality wine will cost after that?

How do you think it would effect customer service?

Quote:
I think Republicans love it, though, because it reminds them of slavery.
That's absurd.

You compare pay based on performance to slavery? Laughable.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Re-read what I said. If the tipped employees are making the same minimum wage as non-tipped employees and tips were eliminated, the tipped employees would make less than they are making now. They are making more than minimum wage (for non-tipped employees) already. In fact, the law requires that the employer make up any difference between their actual income and the minimum wage for non-tipped employees.
I don't see how that would lower wages for everybody.

Quote:
How much do you think that $20 steak at a mid-range restaurant will cost after that? How much do you think that $7 glass of relatively low-quality wine will cost after that?
Ensuring a decent wage for all is more important to me than eating a $20 steak.

Quote:
How do you think it would effect customer service?
Restaurants should be like any other business. If the employee is not meeting the standards for customer service, he or she should be fired.

I have to assume you think that all customer service employees in all industries should have to rely on tips. Have you never received good customer service from a non-tipped employee?

Quote:
You compare pay based on performance to slavery? Laughable.
Yes, when it's up to the customer to decide whether or not the employee gets paid at all, it's akin to slavery.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
I always figured $2 had more buying power than $0.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The ones who really keep the business going, such as the bankers, the accountants, the computer programmers, the manufacturers, etc., do not benefit from minimum wage laws ... and would probably end up earning even better wages if companies didn't have to meet so many federal laws & regulations such as manadatory pay & benefits.
Janitors keep businesses going. There are at least a couple of millions of the professional janitors. It's a career so to speak. HS kids don't clean. The beauty of the wage slavery - the bulk of workers is always one hundreds bucks away from homelessness and hunger. Survival instinct wouldn't allow them to leave. And even if they leave, they just displace another wage unit that drops to the bottom of food chain. And where would all those millions of low wage workers go? Do you know?

Over 317,000 waiters and waitresses have college degrees (over 8,000 of them have doctoral or professional degrees), along with over 80,000 bartenders, and over 18,000 parking lot attendants. All told, some 17,000,000 Americans with college degrees are doing jobs that the BLS says require less than the skill levels associated with a bachelor’s degree.

Why Did 17 Million Students Go to College? - Innovations - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Sorry, low wage jobs are NOT for HS kids, it's how grown ups survive.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I always figured $2 had more buying power than $0.
Good little Republican <pat on the head> now go back to listening to Rush.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I don't see how that would lower wages for everybody.
Restaurants and bars are already paying the minimum wage for tipped workers for the most part. If there were no tips, they would simply pay the minimum wage for non-tipped workers. Most waiters/waitresses and bartenders are making substantially more than the minimum wage for non-tipped workers.

Quote:
Ensuring a decent wage for all is more important to me than eating a $20 steak.
Okay, so let's say the price goes up to $30. Restaurants start having to close. Employees lose their jobs.

Quote:
Restaurants should be like any other business. If the employee is not meeting the standards for customer service, he or she should be fired.
But unions should exist to make that more difficult, right?

Quote:
I have to assume you think that all customer service employees in all industries should have to rely on tips. Have you never received good customer service from a non-tipped employee?
I didn't say that. And, yes, I most certainly have received good service from non-tipped employees (and I have been a non-tipped customer service worker myself).

Quote:
Yes, when it's up to the customer to decide whether or not the employee gets paid at all, it's akin to slavery.
Current law guarantees all employees at least the minimum wage for non-tipped employees. If the difference between the wage and the minimum wage for non-tipped employees isn't made up in tips, the employer has to pay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies