Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
It seems very sad to me that we as a people, have become so uncertain of our right to believe the way we want to that we automatically jump on anyone who believes differently. Not saying that anyone here has done that, but that is what seems to happen frequently in the general populace, at least here in CA. I think that is just another reason that I want to move to TN - to be allowed to find my own faith, on my own terms. Will I be allowed to do that there?
I will say yes to that. There are some folks here that I have come across in the past 10 years that feel VERY strongly about their chosen religious affiliation, but for the most part, when and if it comes up, which it does more often than not upon first few meetings, people have been very respectful to me about my choice. I am Catholic, it is not a large denomination here, basically one Catholic church per county (except Knoxville that has a few) in the state. So it isn't like a common religion here. No one has shunned me or anything due to my religion, I have never know anyone who has so I think you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 07:54 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I don't want to turn this into a thread at the religious forum, but as an atheist I just wanted to point out that it doesn't take religion or religious-inspired morals to create kids and adults who are very good, selfless people.
(My quote earlier: "But, you are right, Sparkman. A lot of what is being said no matter what the agenda is just plain "not nice". I would just like to see religious tolerance and freedom in all venues without criticism from or for anyone. God, if you believe, knows what is in our hearts. If you are a non-believer, you can still be good-hearted and tolerate those who are enthusiastic about their faith.")

That is exactly why I did not say that only by praying and teaching from the Bible produced good people. There are a lot of good people in the world who do not know God or worship anyone. Do I wish they felt differently - yes. Will I try to force it on their kids or them - no.

What I indicated was that it is up to each parent and family to teach their children by word and example at home. If it is a Christian upbringing, so much the better by me, but in your case it does not have to be a Bible-based example or teaching to instill good moral values in your children.

Because our beliefs are different doesn't mean one cannot tolerate the other. I don't want to be told I can't pray silently in a public place or in private, nor would I force you or your children to participate in my praying.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Ah! Now I've gotten myself in trouble because I didn't read all the posts. <g> Yes, I quite agree with the underlined portion of your quote.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Duly scolded

lol glad this thread shaped up!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:51 PM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Just to clarify...I only quoted Sparkman, because he pointed out that the incident with th Principal occurred 7 years ago. And then to state that it is being brought up by the original poster, roselover, to create controversy. And it worked. Roselover said this was told to her/him by a retired teacher in Florida about Tenn. Well if roselover is in Tenn now, why doesn't she/he just use their own CURRENT experiences to illustrate whatever point they are trying to make. Virtually everything in roselover's original post was intended as an insult. Bad water, dumb kids, Bible belt mind set...There is no question posed or helpful information presented, other than to quote some dubious source relating an anecdote from 7 years ago as a way to make themself seem so much more progressive. I will consider the source for future posts from roselover.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up Are we there yet?

I'm with you, Shadow. Amazing how a forum member can say a few words and reveal their personality and mindset.

Good to be among friends!

Thank you, jabogitlu, for checking thru the thread. It's easy to just see a snippet of a quote and not get the poster's entire meaning. I've done it myself, so I understand completely.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I think the point is, this person wanted to move out of Florida, drove around Tennessee for a couple of weeks and moved here a few weeks later. From what I have garnered from her posts - that are few but go back a several months - she wanted to escape Florida due to the expense and overcrowding.

Sound familiar?

In some ways, she did more research than others.

She said she knew it was the Bible Belt, but apparently, she didn't understand what that really entailed.

Look, it is not as oppressive and prevalent as some make it out to be, but if this is the sort of place that you are not use to or are seeking, it can come as quite a shock.

I have said for an entire year that you should not move here simply because you think it is cheap. Now we get this post about how utterly appalling this school principal was by making this speech.

Yes, it happened seven years ago. But I doubt that the OP knew that. She has been here for a month, started to realize exactly where she is now living, and then her friend sends her an e-mail and it hits homes to her.

Oh yes, and she think the kids are stupid.

My advice...

Don't ever mistake that slow-sweet Southern accent as an intelligence indicator.

Perhaps, selling that cheap Tennessee home and moving to Michigan, where she originally intended to move back to, is in order. I hear there are some great deals in The Mid-West, right now.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:07 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Don't ever mistake that slow-sweet Southern accent as an intelligence indicator.
You are so right Hiknapster.

I have (and have had) a quote on my profile here that says "Just because I talk slow doesn't mean I am slow".

I don't mean to go off topic, but real southern women are soft and sweet on the outside and tough as nails on the inside.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

I have (and have had) a quote on my profile here that says "Just because I talk slow doesn't mean I am slow".

I don't mean to go off topic, but real southern women are soft and sweet on the outside and tough as nails on the inside.

And intellectually superior, too!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

Just as women should be! (And, I like the "intellectually superior" part, too, hiknapster.)

I've only lived in the South for 8 years (5 in GA and 3 in SC), but those traits you both remind of us are the 4 or 5 that I hope to adopt and have stick. I'm gettin' there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies