Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:54 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I started this thread to discuss the violent and unjust tactics used at many of the peaceful protest associated with the Occupy Movement.

Public Opinion still seems to be divided over the movement, but I want to discuss the instances of police brutality and unwarranted arrest. In some instances, the police have barred the media from videotaping what is going on during protest. Journalist, photographers, and film crew have been arrested and beaten by police. Peaceful protesters have been beaten, pepper sprayed, and shot with bean bag guns and rubber bullets. There are hundreds of videos across the internet displaying these instances in their entirety yet there is no public outrage or even discussion of the issue.

I'm wanting to raise awareness about what is being done to our fellow Americans and also wanting to start a dialogue about why these protesters are such a threat to those in power. I do not want to demonize the police departments as the majority of officers acted in accordance, and in some cases, protesters were the ones who initiated the incidents.
That is the hope of many of the communists and anarchists behind the OWS movement. The dearly want to cause a reaction by the police, and then dress it up as the new 60s styled revolution against the establishment.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Agreed. However, I feel that it is the media and politicians duty to address those issues and they both have failed at that miserably.

If the media isn't reporting. And both political parties are ignoring the real issues, or not providing any real solutions, what other means is there to get heard other than protest or start a new political party?
You can't just all stand around with your thumb up your ass looking for a cohesive issue...you have to have it together before you protest,have a clear goal in mind that all of the participants are geared towards etc etc.

OWS had the right idea imho,they just allowed "whatever" to go on and the good intentions got washed away with the bad...seriously,how smart was it to try to take over a building they didn't own and then whine when they got beat down by the cops?

Moves like that lose the sympathy/good will of those that might be willing to agree with them.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Agreed. However, I feel that it is the media and politicians duty to address those issues and they both have failed at that miserably.

If the media isn't reporting. And both political parties are ignoring the real issues, or not providing any real solutions, what other means is there to get heard other than protest or start a new political party?
What you're ignoring is that while OWS may have started out as one thing, now it's just a bunch of thugs who've found an excuse to riot.

Forming a new political party has been done already and all of them together won't get even 5% of the vote.

People are pretty clueless as a whole and can't seem to recognize that they are the source of the problem. They gave the power to the government and the oligarchs and have displayed the same pattern of behavior since the beginning of history. There is no solution. Every now and again the house of cards crashes from it's own weight and forces a reboot.

I'm not one to quote old songs but "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." seems to fit nicely. People are not ready for any real change because they're still way too fat and happy. Sadly, things are going to have to get a lot more uncomfortable before anyone does jack.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
Isn't it funny how the conservatives form rank and file to defend authority. Odd since Fox News, Limbaugh, Hannity, and every other conservative radio host has been against OWS from day one.

Don't you think at least one conservative would have a (gasp) differing opinion from the group?

Keep playing into the herd mentality, you guys have practically perfected it.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Brutal force i do not believe is necessary, any more then violence, and destroying public and private property, that is not yours, starting fights with those who do not agree with you, urinating in public, i can go on. Is a clear mature way to make a point, what exactly is your point. No better then the police, when they do that crap.

And there have also been police who have gotten hurt in the chaos also.
The way so many OWS members have acted, is in no way, a clear cut way to get a point across to those of us who do not understand. Oh i see, violence is the way to act, starting fights is a way to act, destroying property, in the worse way, is a way to act, urinating on public streets, is not the smartest thing to do. And some even more disgraceful things. Not a way to act, to get a strong clear message across.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
Occupy cant control every protestor just like the government can't control every fascist scumbag police officer.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Occupy cant control every protestor just like the government can't control every fascist scumbag police officer.
The cops WORK for a govt agency of some sort...there are no freelance cops...those are called "robbers"...so yes,the "govt" can control the cops

OWS can "discourage" the behaviour of the bad element they are allowing to run with them.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
When did throwing human excrement at law enforcement qualify as part of a "peaceful" protest? Is that what Van Jones, Francis Fox-Piven, and Bill Ayers are teaching these days?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Isn't it funny how the conservatives form rank and file to defend authority. Odd since Fox News, Limbaugh, Hannity, and every other conservative radio host has been against OWS from day one.

Don't you think at least one conservative would have a (gasp) differing opinion from the group?

Keep playing into the herd mentality, you guys have practically perfected it.
Like getting a lefty to agree with the tea party since it was demonized by the liberal media. Herd mentality?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
The cops WORK for a govt agency of some sort...there are no freelance cops...those are called "robbers"...so yes,the "govt" can control the cops

OWS can "discourage" the behaviour of the bad element they are allowing to run with them.
If they do control the cops, then we have a corrupt government, because we have corrupt cops. 2 years ago when I was starting my 1st business I was illegally pulled over at a toll booth. To make a long story short, I was illegally charged for a DUI after passing a field sobriety test and breathalyzer test. The cop falsified documents and even gave false blood alcohol results. The judge ended up catching the officer lying when he couldn't match up times in his reports with actual documents. I had phone records contradicting the entire story.

When I was finally proven guilty, I was told to not press charges because many of the police officers are connected. Connected with who?

There are going to be those that are out of line on both sides of the aisle. Those are the individuals we should be concerned about. We should make sure that they don't disrupt what should be a peaceful protest. There are corrupt and/or violent officers just like their are law breaking and/or violent citizens. Both deserve prosecution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies