Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

I started this thread to discuss the violent and unjust tactics used at many of the peaceful protest associated with the Occupy Movement.

Public Opinion still seems to be divided over the movement, but I want to discuss the instances of police brutality and unwarranted arrest. In some instances, the police have barred the media from videotaping what is going on during protest. Journalist, photographers, and film crew have been arrested and beaten by police. Peaceful protesters have been beaten, pepper sprayed, and shot with bean bag guns and rubber bullets. There are hundreds of videos across the internet displaying these instances in their entirety yet there is no public outrage or even discussion of the issue.

I'm wanting to raise awareness about what is being done to our fellow Americans and also wanting to start a dialogue about why these protesters are such a threat to those in power. I do not want to demonize the police departments as the majority of officers acted in accordance, and in some cases, protesters were the ones who initiated the incidents.

There are good and bad on both sides, I'm simply wanting to help create an environment where Americans are free to express themselves and exercise their right to assemble.

MSNBC on NYPD Police Brutality during Occupy Wall Street Lawrence O'donnell with "The Last Word" - YouTube

US war vet gets arrested at Occupy LA - YouTube

Police secretly support OWS? - YouTube

[Orignal full version] 1 Marine vs. 30 Cops (By. J. handy) - YouTube

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
I will agree that some of the police tactics used were unnecessary uses of force. I also think that people should be allowed to protest things.
That said, is it perhaps possible that all the police action wouldn't have been necessary if the OWS people had policed themselves a little better?

Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I will agree that some of the police tactics used were unnecessary uses of force. I also think that people should be allowed to protest things.
That said, is it perhaps possible that all the police action wouldn't have been necessary if the OWS people had policed themselves a little better?

There is not much the occupy protester can do.

Have you seen OPD's actions?

Occupy Oakland video: Police use flashbangs & tear-gas against protesters - YouTube

Tear gas! Thrown at Occupy Oakland! - YouTube

Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
By policing themselves more are you referring to the sanitation issues at some of the camps and protest sites? From various reports, the police initiated the violence during the protest. Some even have claimed that the police used undercover officers to initiate some of the attacks so that the police would have reason to use force.

If you watch the video of the marine, he publicly addresses what took place and warranted his outrage. He claims that police were unjust in their attacks on protesters.

The big question is, is this how we are going to treat those who speak out in our country?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
And what about the Black Bloc that has been seen in Oakland, NY and Texas ?
They do promote violence as a means to the end.

And the NYC OWS forums are full of debate on peaceful vs violent.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And what about the Black Bloc that has been seen in Oakland, NY and Texas ?
They do promote violence as a means to the end.

And the NYC OWS forums are full of debate on peaceful vs violent.
I haven't heard about Black Bloc but would definitely be interested in knowing more about them. Who are they affiliated with and what is their message?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
"Occupy Oakland" seems to have attracted some unsavory types that have been inciting riots. Some of that may have been brutality,
though once that fight-or-flight kicks in certain actions seem far more rational. The police there stood their ground, and they're just doing their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
By policing themselves more are you referring to the sanitation issues at some of the camps and protest sites? From various reports, the police initiated the violence during the protest. Some even have claimed that the police used undercover officers to initiate some of the attacks so that the police would have reason to use force.

If you watch the video of the marine, he publicly addresses what took place and warranted his outrage. He claims that police were unjust in their attacks on protesters.

The big question is, is this how we are going to treat those who speak out in our country?
By "police themselves" I mean cleaning up after themselves, nipping "bad" behavior in the bud, discouraging violence (even though officers at some locations have been harsh, I do recall several of them have been sliced or stabbed with razorblades or something) and generally just conducting themselves in a respectable manner.

So far, from what I've seen from several outlets, they haven't done much of this if at all. Protesting is fine, civil disobedience is fine, but relieving themselves in the open in a public space, destroying property owned by others, or having a negative effect on the small businesses around their encampments should at least be discouraged by their leaders (if there are any.)

It'll be interesting to see what happens come springtime. Most people I know of don't back their cause, so we'll see if anything changes or if the OWS people even bother making a comeback.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
"Occupy Oakland" seems to have attracted some unsavory types that have been inciting riots. Some of that may have been brutality,
though once that fight-or-flight kicks in certain actions seem far more rational. The police there stood their ground, and they're just doing their jobs.

By "police themselves" I mean cleaning up after themselves, nipping "bad" behavior in the bud, discouraging violence (even though officers at some locations have been harsh, I do recall several of them have been sliced or stabbed with razorblades or something) and generally just conducting themselves in a respectable manner.

So far, from what I've seen from several outlets, they haven't done much of this if at all. Protesting is fine, civil disobedience is fine, but relieving themselves in the open in a public space, destroying property owned by others, or having a negative effect on the small businesses around their encampments should at least be discouraged by their leaders (if there are any.)

It'll be interesting to see what happens come springtime. Most people I know of don't back their cause, so we'll see if anything changes or if the OWS people even bother making a comeback.
Do you have any links to the attacks on officers that you speak of? I'm interested in the story in its entirety and if this is going on, I agree that it needs to be put to an end. In my original post I discouraged violent behavior by both parties, but since the protesters were the ones being arrested and charged, I wanted to display the side of the story that most of us haven't heard. I haven't heard of cops being cut or slashed during the protest but I am sure there are injuries on there side as well. In those instances, I'd like to know who initiated the violence.

There's a ton of video content of these protest out there on the internet showing a number of different perspectives. It really is an intriguing development since now much of the world has access to a camera and/or video recorder in their pocket.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Do you have any links to the attacks on officers that you speak of? I'm interested in the story in its entirety and if this is going on, I agree that it needs to be put to an end. In my original post I discouraged violent behavior by both parties, but since the protesters were the ones being arrested and charged, I wanted to display the side of the story that most of us haven't heard. I haven't heard of cops being cut or slashed during the protest but I am sure there are injuries on there side as well. In those instances, I'd like to know who initiated the violence.

There's a ton of video content of these protest out there on the internet showing a number of different perspectives. It really is an intriguing development since now much of the world has access to a camera and/or video recorder in their pocket.
My apologies, I don't keep the newslinks on hand. I *do* know that it's happened several times, with Occupy Oakland being the most violent of the Occupy groups so far. Like I said, unsavory individuals seem to have gotten into that group over there. Once one officer gets hurt, can you honestly expect them to not be on edge?

I'd Google some of the stuff but it's time to cook dinner.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
My apologies, I don't keep the newslinks on hand. I *do* know that it's happened several times, with Occupy Oakland being the most violent of the Occupy groups so far. Like I said, unsavory individuals seem to have gotten into that group over there. Once one officer gets hurt, can you honestly expect them to not be on edge?

I'd Google some of the stuff but it's time to cook dinner.
Here's some links that I found regarding police injuries. One included a "slashing" so this might be what your referring to. As I stated before, there are good and bad on both sides. What I'm wanting to raise awareness about is the foul play being used at some of these peaceful protest.

In an environment so charged to begin with, blatant acts of violence can lead to riots and chaos if not calmed.

Occupy Wall Street: Two Police Officers Injured During Protests - Metropolis - WSJ

It will indeed be interesting what transpires this spring and summer as the protest begin again and we get closer to the 2012 election. It is going to be a very interesting year in American history IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies