Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,158,381 times

Advertisements

~ They should have one elevator for people with no B.O.
~ They should have another elevator for people with B.O.
~ They should have another elevator for people with E.C.O.
~ Another one for people who take baths once every two weeks with plain (non deodorant soap.)
~ Another one for people who take baths once a month with deodorant soap.

For men and women who insist on those skyscraper hair styles - USE SUPERGLUE

So if we push for segregation like this society it will be so fragmented people will willingly gravitate to the bunch they feel safest and coolest with.

The 90+ botox freakazoids can have their own areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,437,883 times
They should ban Axe. That stuff is dangerous:

AXE ANARCHY 'UNLEASH THE CHAOS' - YouTube

Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,472,289 times
Ever get in an elevator in the morning with someone that has so much perfume on that by the time you reach your floor you eyes are burning, red, and tears are running down your face, and your nose is running?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 PM

1,187 posts, read 993,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
New Hampshire considers perfume ban for state employees - Daily Dose: A Boston Globe blog with health news, advice, and information. (http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/2012/02/new-hampshire-considers-perfume-ban-for-state-employees/JEftAGZy1Cdme70WYsI1QI/index.html - broken link)
As someone who has severe and violent reactions to perfumes, colognes and cleaning products....... this bill disgusts me!!!!! It is not the place of the state to try and protect me. When I get around someone who has perfume/cologne that is too strong for me, I either move away from them or endure it and take massive doses of benadryl when I get home.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:36 PM

1,187 posts, read 993,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think something has changed about perfumes. I used to wear them in my 20s. Not often but occasionally and they never caused a problem. Now, they are either stronger, or people are wearing them more heavily. It's like the scent gets into my nose and mouth and I can taste it. Even after they leave. I don't get a headache or wheezing, but my eyelids start itching and the get a rash on them that lasts for days. I don't know what it is, but it's not comfortable.

My son, who does have asthma, got an asthma attack when we went into Ulta over Christmas.

Something is going on with the perfumes because so many more people are having problems.
More than likely your body changed to be allergic to the perfumes. Allergies change over your lifetime. What you were never allergic to you can be later, and vice versa.

I was born with severe allergies, but over the years they have lessoned and changed.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Quote:
I think something has changed about perfumes. I used to wear them in my 20s. Not often but occasionally and they never caused a problem. Now, they are either stronger, or people are wearing them more heavily. It's like the scent gets into my nose and mouth and I can taste it. Even after they leave. I don't get a headache or wheezing, but my eyelids start itching and the get a rash on them that lasts for days. I don't know what it is, but it's not comfortable.

My son, who does have asthma, got an asthma attack when we went into Ulta over Christmas.

Something is going on with the perfumes because so many more people are having problems.
It has.
They're all synthetic chemicals and have been since the 70s.
The link I provided upthread about the 20 chemicals in 31 fragrance products shows some of the carcinogens and desensitizers in fragrance products.

The biggest problem most people have are with deodorants.

Quote:
This is exactly the case with me.

There is one guy in the office and whatever he wears it is just fine.

Some perfumes smell really good but bother me and others do not bother me. I don't know what it is.
People don't understand that it's not the smell, it's the chemicals.

The Human Ecology Action League (HEAL) has some great information available.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,037,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
As someone who has severe and violent reactions to perfumes, colognes and cleaning products....... this bill disgusts me!!!!! It is not the place of the state to try and protect me. When I get around someone who has perfume/cologne that is too strong for me, I either move away from them or endure it and take massive doses of benadryl when I get home.
Your screen name reminded me of an old perfume- Wind Song. I guess it is still around, maybe it would agree with you?

Seriously, though, we continue to slide down the slippery slope. I wonder if they are going to add usurious, redundant taxes to perfumes and colognes like they have added to cigarettes (all without using one dime of it to provide any meaningful/successful low cost nonsmoking programs). That is the real bottom line... follow the money. Soda pop sur-tax coming next.

I, too, am very irritated by some fragrances, but exposure is seldom and very non life threatening. Even if it was a bigger problem for me, I would not support banning it or adding extra taxes to it- if it comes to that.

I do think that each work place could have it's own rules along with the dress code, conduct code, etc. In my job, no perfume was allowed while at work as our clients were already ill and sensitive to all sorts of irritants. Nobody that I worked with ever complained about not being allowed to wear fragrances at work and they continued to wear them on days/evenings off.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
If people were considerate and the chemicals didn't produce severe reactions in people, then there wouldn't be a need for legislation.

I've lived all over the world.
Normally, if I ask someone to refrain, they do.
But not in the US where we have a higher number of total jerks who have no consideration for others.
Your rights to use chemicals stop where my right to breathe begins.

US people can be such jerks; and be proud of it.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,083,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
New Hampshire considers perfume ban for state employees - Daily Dose: A Boston Globe blog with health news, advice, and information. (http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/2012/02/new-hampshire-considers-perfume-ban-for-state-employees/JEftAGZy1Cdme70WYsI1QI/index.html - broken link)
The problem is that they are chemical laden, artificially scented, laboratory produced colognes and not perfume...there is a huge difference. There are people that bathe in this crap and are walking airwicks. The smell is stomach churning and cloying. If you come in contact with anyone wearing this poison, you cannot get the stink off of yourself. I do not know why people wear this artificial crap instead of the real thing. Some celebrity signs a contract to place their name on the packaging and nitwits buy this puke. Aside from the sickening smell, it goes into the pores of your skin and it is not healthy. Ban the garbage!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,098,061 times
Well, fluorescent lights cause me to have absolutely crippling migraines. Not only isn't the government banning them so that I can be protected from them, they are banning normal lights and insisting that everyone use the very fluorescent lights that make me so sick. They even want me to have to use them in my home so that I will soon have to either live in the dark or suffer constant migraines. Who do I sue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies