Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM

1,187 posts, read 991,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yet you chose to link to The Blaze of Manufactured Indignation(TM) rather than the straight new article ... I wonder why, if you have no agenda, and aren't just trying to stir people up?
Exactly what agenda, other than proving his point, could he possibly have??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,118,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I find that generally people are kind and considerate of me if they know about my allergies.
Me too...

Can you carry an epi-pen for your allergies? I have to because of peanut allergies. Any restaurant we walk into I have to ask if they fry in peanut oil. Luckily, peanuts in the establishment don't bother me, but consumption is a whole other issue... So, I like you find that once people find out why I'm asking, they are usually very helpful in finding out the answer. And of course.. I'm not asking them to change or legislate getting rid of peanuts or peanut oil.. I'm just asking for my safety and I will go someplace else quietly. (Heck, once I sat and watched 12 people eat dinner since I couldn't have a thing on the menu)..

Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,630,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yet you chose to link to The Blaze of Manufactured Indignation(TM) rather than the straight new article ... I wonder why, if you have no agenda, and aren't just trying to stir people up?
Maybe because that was the link that was at the top in my internet search engine? I've linked to Huffington post and even Democratic Underground before, not as an endorsement to them, but because it was a link that contained the information.

Not everyone is a partisan hack like some folks around here.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,630,325 times
Quote:
Exactly what agenda, other than proving his point, could he possibly have??
Who knows, the trouser cough conspiracies are everywhere.

Like I said, some folks are driven purely by political partisanship, and the message and the facts don't matter, it's all about ideology and hating everything and anything that even hints at being associated with "the enemy".... duh-duh-duuuuuuhhhhhh.............

Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times
Quote:
I do have "something like this" and generally, people treat me with kindness and respect. I have had very few instances (one which I did mention in a smoking thread) where someone purposefully used Fabreeze around me to punish me for smoking. I tried reasoning with the person, tried talking with our supervisor to no avail. So whenever they would use it I ended up going home sick for the day.

Luckily I changed my circumstances by moving out of state (worked from home for the company for a year) and then building my own business to compete with them! haha

That was literally the ONLY time I can remember anyone EVER being a problem with my allergies. Usually I have people who are kind enough to stay away from me if I'm allergic to their perfume/powders, and they stop wearing them around me after they find out I'm allergic. Or at the very least they would tell me to stay away from them on the days they wore something I was allergic to.

I find that generally people are kind and considerate of me if they know about my allergies.
If only.

I encountered nothing but bs from co-workers at a job I had in the states. As soon as I was well enough to get out of there, I did.
The building was under constant renovation and drywall is filled with formaldehyde; paints... you get the picture.

I sat in a room with another chemically sensitive person with 2 filters and I had to wear a respirator when I left the room to go anywhere else in the building.

I had a supervisor spray my cubicle with cologne to watch me fall down (when I get really sick, I lose neuro-muscular coordination).

At my current job, we have a fragrance-free policy that's clearly explained to new employees before they're offered the job.

Aldehydes and petro-chemicals are horrible allergies to have.

Some people are just petty and mean.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,020,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
next thing that will happen is that no brushing of teeth (gross), no mouthwash and no perfumed soap either.
If people are dumb enough to choose to use these chemical concoctions passed off as fragrance let them, I say. They can also continue to use the popular brands of fabric softener, laundry detergent and deodorizing room sprays...ever read the health hazards of those things...Whoa! Not in my home or on my body. The problem is when it makes others that are not using them sick, banning them might be the only way to get a handle on it, but do not fret, the chemical industry is way too powerful, so you will still be able to ingest and inhale these toxic substances through your skin and respiratory system to find ther way to your internal organs.

It always amazes me that with all of the cosmetics, personal care and cleaning products that are available that are eco-smart, people continue to use the garbage.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Me too...

Can you carry an epi-pen for your allergies? I have to because of peanut allergies. Any restaurant we walk into I have to ask if they fry in peanut oil. Luckily, peanuts in the establishment don't bother me, but consumption is a whole other issue... So, I like you find that once people find out why I'm asking, they are usually very helpful in finding out the answer. And of course.. I'm not asking them to change or legislate getting rid of peanuts or peanut oil.. I'm just asking for my safety and I will go someplace else quietly. (Heck, once I sat and watched 12 people eat dinner since I couldn't have a thing on the menu)..
How can people not go to work?

Their safety is compromised and, if you read the history of almost all (I haven't read all, but have read many) of the reasoning, it is because people were not considerate of other people's safety.

This is not something that I'm ingesting, it's in the air that I breath; air that is frequently polluted and I cannot control.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM

1,187 posts, read 991,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Me too...

Interestingly enough, I've never had an epi-pen. Usually when my throat starts closing up I take a handful of OTC benadryl and go to sleep. LOL! I am allergic to some nuts, but not to the point where I can't eat them though, so I've never really had to worry about that... at least not since I was a child. When I was a kid there were lots of things I couldn't eat, and had to ask what was in them. As I got older my food allergies have lessoned, but my chemical/environmental allergies have gotten worse.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,240,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Maybe because that was the link that was at the top in my internet search engine? I've linked to Huffington post and even Democratic Underground before, not as an endorsement to them, but because it was a link that contained the information.

Not everyone is a partisan hack like some folks around here.
Well, then. I apologize for making an assumption. However, when I go looking for links, I try very hard to use as unbiased a source as possible. I therefore will not link to HuffPo or TheBlaze, because they are agenda-driven. I may find the original news story in one of those, but will link to the story, not the agenda piece.

Discrimination in sourcing - it's important.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,240,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Who knows, the trouser cough conspiracies are everywhere.

Like I said, some folks are driven purely by political partisanship, and the message and the facts don't matter, it's all about ideology and hating everything and anything that even hints at being associated with "the enemy".... duh-duh-duuuuuuhhhhhh.............
That wasn't very nice. I explained in a later post (and apologized for my assumption) why you might not want to use heavily biased sources. Perhaps you could reconsider your assumptions, also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies