Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times

Advertisements

Garrison Keillor can do some mildly humorous shows( not brilliant but good in a different kind of way) but if you hear him talk about politics he comes across as something of a stooge. He's not mean spirited as many on the left but he's definitely not the most astute guy in the room at any time.
I used to listen to him but his show got kind of tired and repetitious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
I think NPR should be defunded. There is no reason that liberal propaganda station gets funding from the federal government.
Gosh, it didn't take long for the "NPR is liberal" crap to surface.

A. You don't listen to it or you would know the truth...it presents ALL sides of the story and presents facts so neocon/ Repugs just think it's biased

B. Call or write NPR with your complaints, tell them exactly what you wish to hear....DO something besides whine and babble the same lie that you've been told, a lie you believe with no research whatsoever.

C. I believe it was when Bush was running for office a survey found NPR had Republicans on MORE than Democrats.

D. NPR has much more than political topics so to defund them because Repugs believe the lies is just stupid.

E. NPR is EDUCATIONAL so it scares Repugs (and probably is another reason they think it's Liberal)...LOL!!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
While NPR tries to inform folks about all sides of an issue the Right Wing Faux Noise is pure Religion preaching to the choir. NPR and MSNBC are information the other is propaganda.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
I think NPR should be defunded. There is no reason that liberal propaganda station gets funding from the federal government.
NPR does not produce either of those programs. American Public Media produces Prairie Home Companion and distributes it world wide, so I doubt that any government money finds its way back to PHC. If it does, you have the responsibility to post clear links to unbiased sources since you made the claim. Whad'ya Know is produced by Wisconsin Public Radio and distributed by Public Radio International. Why anyone had to bring up "liberal propaganda" in a thread about Garrison Keilor and Michael Feldman is beyond me.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I don't know if I've heard "that Wisconsin dude" (or "Whaddya Know?" if that's the same thing) before, although I have my local NPR station on pretty much exclusively in the car. Been a Car Talk listener for over 25 years, I'd like to meet Tom and Ray. I used to dislike Prairie Home Companion a decade or so ago, but now, in my 40s, I really enjoy it (my kids like it, too, and we listen to "The Big Broadcast" also, a replay of old radio dramas). To me, PHC is like comfort food, an old pair of slippers, or sitting by a fire catching up with an old friend. It does seem like it fits better in winter time.

However, I've never really been able to get into "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" which follows Car Talk in my locale. I've tried, but it usually irritates me because I simply don't find them to be all that funny and they seem to think they are. But then, I laugh until tears in my eyes at Car Talk (and my kids roll their eyes).

Thread not particularly PoC-worthy, the topic is entertainment.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
I love Prairie Home Companion, but then I grew up on the prairie eating "hot dish" at church suppers. It really is like comfort food, and if you grew up in the great plains or the upper midwest, it makes perfect sense.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Garrison Keillor is from Minnesota, not Wisconsin. The OP's midwestern bias is showing.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I listen to NPR a lot. They go out of their way to present both sides of the story. Perhaps if you actually listened, you'd know this. I'm guessing you're too busy watching completely one sided conservative TV to realize that.

So do you help support them financialy?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
While NPR tries to inform folks about all sides of an issue the Right Wing Faux Noise is pure Religion preaching to the choir. NPR and MSNBC are information the other is propaganda.

It is all propaganda everywhere you look and hear, when they push one side of the agenda.
Political party squawk boxes, to push their bosses payoff.

It is all to redirect the uneducated and the lazy.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is all propaganda everywhere you look and hear, when they push one side of the agenda.
Political party squawk boxes, to push their bosses payoff.

It is all to redirect the uneducated and the lazy.

Hey!

You did a good job of memorizing that line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies