Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times

Advertisements

Ya know, I saw bits and pieces of the Grammies last night and I guess you won't like Garrison Keilor or anything like that when you prefer flashing lights and smoke to hide the fact there is no talent present, men who don't know what shampoo is screaming and pounding on guitars, a guy in a tee-shirt wearing a lighted mouse head....now THAT'S entertainment!:rolle yes:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Limbaugh tells his followers to be annoyed, and they obey.
The whining of the extremists is just one more example of how they attempt to control what we see, do and hear ... to conform to their perception of live in America. Elect more of them and you'll get big government stepping on your throat. Of course, these critics are the same types who are pedophiles, whoremongers, adulterers ... when they think nobody is looking.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
What about NPR isn't annoying?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya know, I saw bits and pieces of the Grammies last night and I guess you won't like Garrison Keilor or anything like that when you prefer flashing lights and smoke to hide the fact there is no talent present, men who don't know what shampoo is screaming and pounding on guitars, a guy in a tee-shirt wearing a lighted mouse head....now THAT'S entertainment!:rolle yes:
That depends on the individuals opinion on talent and entertainment.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
I'm not enthused about the bias inherent at either NPR or its local outlets, but I've learned to accept it in order to get the better stuff.

My local PBS station is WVIA in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. It got off to a good start largely because it supplanted a commercial classical-music staion (WYZZ-FM) which had become unsustainable.

PBS and its two radio networks (National Public Radio and American Public Media) taken together, offer a pretty wide rage of programming that can be tailored to fit lhe local tastes. Prairie Home Comapanion has been around long enough that it's going to be a staple as long as Keillor holds out (ditto Tom and Ray Magliozzi), but locally, we replaced "the cheesehead" with Jim Cullom's San Antonio-based Dixieland jazz several years ago.

About ten years ago, I spent a year in Nebraska; the local PBS stations didn't draw enough support for a lot of the high-profile American series, so they filled in with Canadian programming -- seems like a logical choice since Omaha, while no "Hillbilly Heaven", is nowhere near as diverse as the two coasts.

My personal favorite has to be "Jazz After Hours" --- twelve hours a week of every segment of the venue known to man, and hosted by a respected music educator. Jim Wilke does deal with people whose politics won't delight the conservatives - the late Red Rodney was an example - but he generally keeps his opinions private, and that's enough in my book.

Just for fun, let me add a link to one more "subversive activity" I discovered on NPR:

Guckenheimer Sauerkraut Band - Stars & Stripes - YouTube

Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
One would think that the right would love PHC, it's all about the Heartland™, cutesy family values, a constant homage to hard working immigrant European stock. How PHC companion can win the ire of conservatives is simply beyond me.

Confession, I secretly listen to PHC in my car with the windows rolled up.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
That is a good point. PHC is the essence of "Heartland".

Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The whining of the extremists is just one more example of how they attempt to control what we see, do and hear ... to conform to their perception of live in America. Elect more of them and you'll get big government stepping on your throat. Of course, these critics are the same types who are pedophiles, whoremongers, adulterers ... when they think nobody is looking.
And the Politically Correct aren't attempting to silence anyone right now, of course??

Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,477,889 times
I like NPR's new programs and somewhat in-depth interviews and reports. Is there a left-leaning bias? I'd say a slight one. The majority of the stories I hear that have both a "left and right" POV, the left usually has a longer time frame and gets in the last commentary. Still, no where near as bad as BSNBC, and somewhat balanced.

Their news and financial reports I like. Too bad they have so much incredibly bad music programming. Classical and "folk" music like they play reminds me a lot of fingernails on chalkboards. All too often they do an interview/book promotion with a really dippy author. Most of those are terrible. I listen on my commute when they have a news story on...flip to local talk radio when the other comes on. We have a local "talk jock" out of Spokane that is fairly neutral and will allow both sides of an issue speak on the show.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
One would think that the right would love PHC, it's all about the Heartland™, cutesy family values, a constant homage to hard working immigrant European stock. How PHC companion can win the ire of conservatives is simply beyond me.

Confession, I secretly listen to PHC in my car with the windows rolled up.
I do that with classical music
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies