Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

I had never been a city dweller. I know/think in the suburbs a home owner is obligated to shield the public from a free show if you parade around your digs sans clothing. I thought that was expected everywhere, but in New York City some/many people dress in the morning without drawing curtains and a lot sun bathe on patios in the buff.

I used to wonder what all those telescopes were for in NY friend's apartments. I thought they were astronomy buffs - and remember the telescope in Seinfeld? Naive me.

I have no objection to this, but is it legal? How do parents with children handle it? Does it go on in high rises/balconies/penthouses in most big cities?

It's not that it goes on in every apartment, but a neighbor called my attention to a few of these oddities, and you can't help buy notice, over time.

It set me to wondering, does the 5% have a different set of standards/morality from the 95%? It seems very Mediterranean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:35 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,809 times
if the chick is hot, it should be allowed

Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It set me to wondering, does the 5% have a different set of standards/morality from the 95%? It seems very Mediterranean.
What does this mean, exactly? Are you trying to link two completely different things into one argument? Trying to inject politics into something that's not political?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
I had never been a city dweller. I know/think in the suburbs a home owner is obligated to shield the public from a free show if you parade around your digs sans clothing. I thought that was expected everywhere, but in New York City some/many people dress in the morning without drawing curtains and a lot sun bathe on patios in the buff.

I used to wonder what all those telescopes were for in NY friend's apartments. I thought they were astronomy buffs - and remember the telescope in Seinfeld? Naive me.

I have no objection to this, but is it legal? How do parents with children handle it? Does it go on in high rises/balconies/penthouses in most big cities?

It's not that it goes on in every apartment, but a neighbor called my attention to a few of these oddities, and you can't help buy notice, over time.

I think it's pretty simple. If you want to be nude in your property and still want your privacy, don't be nude near an uncovered window.

Human beings are social, curious creatures - some much more than others but all of us to an extent. I live in a Manhattan apartment. I have 3 windows facing an interior court yard and from them I can easily see into 8 or 9 different apartments if the windows aren't drawn. I don't make a point to spy on others, but occasionally when looking out, or simply walking by, my window somebody in a neighboring apartment catches my eye - usually when doing something a bit out of the ordinary: dancing funny, hosting a party on a Tuesday, seemingly talking to himself, walking around naked, etc. If it's interesting or otherwise entertaining, I sometimes watch for a minute or two. Do I feel bad for it or find what I'm doing somehow immoral? No. If you want privacy, don't do it where a bunch of people can watch you do it.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:43 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:

I once saw a guy stationed at a stone wall in a New Jersey park along the Palisades. He had a fairly large telescope that was trained on the city across the river. Now it all makes sense, I hope I didn't interrupt a "private moment".
Quote:

Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
As a former Manhattanite, I can tell you that I never gave a rat's behind who could see me naked or whom I could see in the buff. In Manhattan, people live in such close proximity to each other with so many potentials to be rubbed the wrong way (or to rub others the wrong way) that it is simply pointless to spend any energy or thought on such trivialities.

I've seen people leaning out of their windows with nothing on, I've seen many of my neighbors run around naked, etc. The reality is that, after a while, you don't notice anymore. Sure, there are always those who seek it out, but most people just don't care.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
if the chick is hot, it should be allowed
I go with this post

Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Shield your kids from what, peeping in other people's windows?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
We have no reasonable expectation of privacy in this country. If you want privacy close the drapes or utilize privacy screening measures out of doors.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Shield your kids from what, peeping in other people's windows?
Why derail a good rant with serious questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies