Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
There's always a way to get people to do the right thing. Whatcha drinkin'?
The People of the United States don't need to have someone show them the "right thing." They always get it right in the end. They always have and I see no reason to suspect they won't always in the future.

Like Jefferson, I have enormous faith in The People.

Don't you? Why, or why not?

ps: I'm drinking the only American beer worth putting to your lips...Shiner Bock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,170,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The People of the United States don't need to have someone show them the "right thing." They always get it right in the end. They always have and I see no reason to suspect they won't always in the future.

Like Jefferson, I have enormous faith in The People.

Don't you? Why, or why not?

ps: I'm drinking the only American beer worth putting to your lips...Shiner Bock.
I do have a lot of faith in people. Sometimes entirely too much. It comes back to haunt me often. I still continue to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Women should absolutely not be drafted nor should they be placed in harm's way or in combat positions in the military. That's just insanity.
Women need to be protected because they're so fragile, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
As for voting, I'd like to see the franchise restricted to heads of household age 21 and over.
By "heads of household" you mean men for the most part, right?

Hate women much?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-13-2012 at 11:16 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
You have good tastes.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 PM

488 posts, read 554,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
The whole idea of being able to join the military equaling being able to vote is a tired apples vs. oranges argument. A lot of older people never thought that way when you could join the military at 17 but couldn't vote until 21. They never linked the two together.
Why? Because you say so? That "tired argument" was the catalyst for the 26th amendment. Or are you speaking of the World War era? What makes, or made, them right?

Quote:
This notion that because you are 18 and have a beating heart earns you the right to vote, one of if not the most important civic duty the average person does, is one of the biggest reasons we are in such a mess right now.
Really? You don't like the way they vote so they shouldn't be allowed to? Sounds like a wonderful kick start to a one party system! I'm assuming you see Obama's election as a detriment to this country, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Should other demographics that voted mostly for Obama not be allowed to vote, either? Last election Obama received a majority vote from those aged 30+ so, based on my aforementioned assumption, your claim that 18-20 year olds are largely to blame holds no water.

I do wonder what the political affiliation is of those that advocate removing the voting rights from 18-20 year olds. I'm curious if there is any kind of correlation, or if all parties are equally represented in advocating the removal of rights.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:12 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:

So I take it you have not been introduced to Sweetwater

Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
So I take it you have not been introduced to Sweetwater
Real Texans will always prefer a Texas beer (a REAL beer) over some Georgia beer.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Real Texans will always prefer a Texas beer (a REAL beer) over some Georgia beer.

If it ain't from the Spoetzel Brewery in tiny little Shiner, TX, it ain't beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies