Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Conservatives protect a tax system where rich elites can legally evade paying their fair share in taxes. They'll never admit it but they worship rich elites far more than some no-name marine.
Just in case you didn't know this, conservatives have not controlled Congress since 2007.

In just two years. Remember the election in 2006?
Thought you might like to read the following:
A little over two years ago:

1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:

1) Consumer confidence plummet;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $4.00 a gallon;
3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% o f American homes are in foreclosure.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

Remember it's Congress that makes law not the President. He has to work with what's handed to him.

Taxes...Whether Democrat or a Republican you will find these statistics enlightening and amazing.
The Tax Foundation - U.S. Federal Individual Income Tax Rates History, 1913-2011 (Nominal and Inflation-Adjusted Brackets)
Taxes under Clinton 1999 Taxes under Bush 2008
Single making 30K - tax $8,400 Single making 30K - tax $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $14,000 Single making 50K - tax $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $23,250 Single making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 60K - tax $16,800 Married making2060K- tax $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $21,000 Married making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $38,750 Married making 125K - tax $31,250
Both democratic candidates will return to the higher tax rates

It is amazing how many people that fall into the categories above think Bush is screwing them and Bill Clinton was the greatest President ever. Obama said if elected, he he will repeal the Bush tax cuts and a good portion of the people that fall into the categories above can't wait for it to happen. This is like the movie 'The Sting' with Paul Newman; you scam somebody out of some money and they don't even know what happened.

You think the war in Iraq is costing us too much?

I have included the URL's for verification of all the following facts.

1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens
each year by state governments.
Verify at: FAIR: Immigration and Welfare (http://tinyurl.com/zob77 - broken link)

2. $2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs
such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens.
Verify at:http://www.cis..org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html

3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.
Verify at: http://www.cis..org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
I am a little to old for the military ( I guess they don't like guys in their 40's)

But:

1). I will serve for free.
2). Don't put me in basic training, for I will flunk.
3). I am fluent in electronics and radio communications
4). I want to be close to the front line.

Once you hit your 40's, none of the military branches want you.
Oh well, their loss.

(But I gladly fund them, through my tax dollars, as much as I can).

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Conservatives protect a tax system where rich elites can legally evade paying their fair share in taxes. They'll never admit it but they worship rich elites far more than some no-name marine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you not spew such liberal garbage when we rational people are trying to eat dinner? The SO hates projectile vomiting at the dinner table.

You should pay for services you utilize, and I will pay for those I utilize. Fair enough?

You have the same Constitution and Bill or Rights that I do. So you, your family, your children all OWE the same amount to protect those rights. Do I see a check coming soon from you, or do you want to sponge off the rest of us?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sorry a quick crunch of the numbers shows that government workers do not pay their own way.
you aren't one those people who believes the govt has its own money are you?
Nope, I do not believe that.

However, for someone to sit here and compare Mitts taxes to an officers taxes is absoutley insane....

And no we do not pay our own way, but we do pay taxes....I have paid taxes every year since 1988 while in the Army.

This argument just does not float...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Romney's income is from investment capital gains which are taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income. That is quite normal.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As I have said before, we need to replace our individual (applies to businesses that declare themselves individuals) tax law with a simple code that taxes all income from all sources, definitely including capital gains and profits. This code should include a deductible equal to the 90th percentile (currently around 300 grand?) with the taxes on the remaining income set to pay for the previous year's expenditures.

Social Security taxes would be separate and be based on all wages with a limit on total income eligible for SS Insurance. If you are already taking in say the 50th percentile or above you have no need for supplemental income from the SS Insurance.

Businesses would determine their tax status on the difference between their current income and their expenses. They would lose all the twitches and twiddles that allow the biggest corporations to pay the fewest taxes.

These taxes place the burden of maintaining the country on the people that make the most money from the protection of the country. That sounds fair to me.

Taxing military personnel is absurd.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Let him get out of the military if he doesn't like it. My taxes are high because i have to pay people like him who enlist to protect America's corporate interests abroad. He is doing nothing to insure my safety and I'm stuck feeding him, clothing him, housing him, paying for his travel, providing for his health care and educating him.
He is a tax feeder himself, ironic to complain about it.
^^^
This.
He also doesn't include a large percentage of his benefits in his income.
For example extra $$ paid for his housing, utilities, education, health benefits, uniform costs, etc are not included in taxable wages.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:29 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,003 times
I love these threads lol

Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
But here is the interesting part, my nephew a US Marine Officer pays a higher rate of income tax on his pay in the USA than Romney does.

Prove it, have him post his tax return , or even pay scale would do. Most people think they and others are in a higher bracket then they realy are.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As I have said before, we need to replace our individual (applies to businesses that declare themselves individuals) tax law with a simple code that taxes all income from all sources, definitely including capital gains and profits. This code should include a deductible equal to the 90th percentile (currently around 300 grand?) with the taxes on the remaining income set to pay for the previous year's expenditures.

Social Security taxes would be separate and be based on all wages with a limit on total income eligible for SS Insurance. If you are already taking in say the 50th percentile or above you have no need for supplemental income from the SS Insurance.

Businesses would determine their tax status on the difference between their current income and their expenses. They would lose all the twitches and twiddles that allow the biggest corporations to pay the fewest taxes.

These taxes place the burden of maintaining the country on the people that make the most money from the protection of the country. That sounds fair to me.

Taxing military personnel is absurd.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"As I have said before, we need to replace our individual (applies to businesses that declare themselves individuals) tax law with a simple code that taxes all income from all sources, definitely including capital gains and profits."

If you believe that works, I have a bridge....
Those of us smart enough (present company excluded), just put all our money off-shore, in trusts that are blind. We hate paying for things we don't agree with, or are fundamentally stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies