Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I feel lucky I wasn't exposed Fisting? I just found out about that about 5 years ago.
Sarcasm:

noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I usually try to skip over those threads. Yuck. This is being taught?
No. That was a direct dig at your post.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:50 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Indeed. Check out this Planned Parenthood Video for teens, entitled, "Take Care Down There," where a young gal drops her pants (below the camera) and asks several male and female friends what they see down there. Then, with her pants still down, in comes an older man (looks like a teacher or counselor) and joins in on the conversation with the partially clothed girl while putting his arm around her. (I guess we are supposed to feel reassured that there is a disclaimer at the start of the video that says it is for "mature" teens. - I guess mature teens are appropriate for pedophiles and exhibitionism.)

Planned Parenthood, Take Care Down There

There's a whole lot more "interesting" links provided by PP on their Teen Education site, including the infamous "Go Ask Alice" site that can help clear up information on important topics like beastiality, S & M, Fisting, Scatting (eating feces - for those prudes out there who haven't ventured there ), and lots more.

Sexual and Reproductive Health | Go Ask Alice!

For Teens - Planned Parenthood - North Florida

Go ahead and browse the links, if you can stomach it. This is what your children are being taught. Not exactly the basics of the birds and the bees anymore. Is THIS really where you want your tax dollars going; not to mention your children being taught this in a light hearted way?
I looked at all your links and really they are not like you describe. The first one with the videos, all the people in them are fully clothed so there was not pedophilia in them. Also that video had to do with if people can tell you have an STI just by looking at you, it was not about teenagers or grown men staring at a girl's naked vulva area. It was metaphorical.....

The other with GoAsk Alice did cover some different sorts of sexual questions, but they were questions from teens/young adults and are not a part of sex ed classes. It is a site for teens/young adults to ask questions and receive thoughtful, appropriate responses. You failed to mention that the answer to the question regarding eating feces informed the questioner that eating feces was not safe. It also gave advice as to how to keep oneself free of infections regarding any sort of anal sex play, something that teens/young adults do experiment with and hopefully if they do, they will be informed of the risks of these sorts of behaviors from the site.

The third link was just to a PP page in FL so I don't see where the controversey is regarding that one, but to some PP is enough to be outraged about.

Wanted to note that I do feel that PP does a good job of relaying education about sex in a factual matter. In none of their material does it tell you to "go out and have sex." Also to those upset about teaching kids about masturbation, masturbation is a way to keep your child from having sexual intercourse. It is not considered sex and is a way to stay celibate. Though most kids don't need to be actually taught how to masturbate (I would say none of them do) I do think it is a good thing to talk about it during sex ed in order to take away the shameful stigma it has. I'd rather my kid masturbate than go out and have sexual intercourse or have oral sex. Masturbation is a good way to stay celibate.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
I agree with that but do you want your kids "taught" the way they are doing in these tapes? Plus kids develop at different stages, one kid can be more mature than another. Schools put them all in a box and treat them all the same way when it comes to emotions.
No one is "teaching" the way those tapes depict. The tapes are propaganda, and are lies.

Schools start teaching kids around nine/ten years of age BECAUSE kids develop differently. The kids who develop earliest are subject to being ridiculed and ostracized because they are different. The kids who develop latest are subject to being ridiculed and ostracized because they are different. Addressing puberty head-on, providing children with the FACTS, and doing so in a way that is specifically meant to be non-judgmental, is the appropriate thing to do. Teaching children about their bodies is about teaching children to respect their bodies, not about sexualizing them before they are ready. And Planned Parenthood is doing NOTHING to sexualize children. Toddlers and Tiaras may be sexualizing children. Sex education is hopefully preparing children for the changes in their bodies that will happen, and giving them the tools to maintain their self-esteem when those changes come to the attention of their friends and classmates.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I looked at all your links and really they are not like you describe.
They are exactly as I described and they are from Planned Parenthood.

From my post #95:

Indeed. Check out this Planned Parenthood Video for teens, entitled, "Take Care Down There," where a young gal drops her pants (below the camera) and asks several male and female friends what they see down there. Then, with her pants still down, in comes an older man (looks like a teacher or counselor) and joins in on the conversation with the partially clothed girl while putting his arm around her. (I guess we are supposed to feel reassured that there is a disclaimer at the start of the video that says it is for "mature" teens. - I guess mature teens are appropriate for pedophiles and exhibitionism.)

There's a whole lot more "interesting" links provided by PP on their Teen Education site, including the infamous "Go Ask Alice" site that can help clear up information on important topics like beastiality, S & M, Fisting, Scatting (eating feces - for those prudes out there who haven't ventured there ), and lots more.

Go ahead and browse the links, if you can stomach it. This is what your children are being taught. Not exactly the basics of the birds and the bees anymore. Is THIS really where you want your tax dollars going; not to mention your children being taught this in a light hearted way?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
They are exactly as I described and they are from Planned Parenthood.
Not even close.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Who do you think should be the ones or one to do that discussing? I am pretty sure you think it should be someone from outside the home. That is ok since many people shirk that duty of parents.
When I was in 5th grade, there were a series of sessions where boys went to the gymnasium and girls were sent to the auditorium. Films were shown, and pamphlets handed out, and a nurse answered everyone's questions. There were samples of tampons and feminine napkins handed out, and an anatomically correct model of a woman's body where students could see how a tampon should be properly inserted. There was also discussion of how to properly dispose of tampons and napkins. The nurse also gave a brief lecture on the mechanics of sexual intercourse, using the model of the woman's body and a model of a penis, explaining in graphic detail the functions of the various organs. The teachers and nurse discussed why it was better to wait until you were an adult to engage in sex, and discussed what they meant by "adult". They gave specific instructions to all the girls about resources available to them if they currently had adults in their lives who were touching them inappropriately, or looking at them when they bathed or were getting dressed in a way that made the girl uncomfortable. It was actually very empowering, because the message was that we were all changing, that the changes would be faster for some and slower for some, but that as we became women, we weren't little girls anymore, who had to obey adults unquestioningly. If someone made us uncomfortable, the teachers and nurse and school told us we needed to talk about it, that we could make it stop. We were entitled to privacy and respect. And that's a good message for young girls to hear.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When I was in 5th grade, there were a series of sessions where boys went to the gymnasium and girls were sent to the auditorium. Films were shown, and pamphlets handed out, and a nurse answered everyone's questions. There were samples of tampons and feminine napkins handed out, and an anatomically correct model of a woman's body where students could see how a tampon should be properly inserted. There was also discussion of how to properly dispose of tampons and napkins. The nurse also gave a brief lecture on the mechanics of sexual intercourse, using the model of the woman's body and a model of a penis, explaining in graphic detail the functions of the various organs. The teachers and nurse discussed why it was better to wait until you were an adult to engage in sex, and discussed what they meant by "adult". They gave specific instructions to all the girls about resources available to them if they currently had adults in their lives who were touching them inappropriately, or looking at them when they bathed or were getting dressed in a way that made the girl uncomfortable. It was actually very empowering, because the message was that we were all changing, that the changes would be faster for some and slower for some, but that as we became women, we weren't little girls anymore, who had to obey adults unquestioningly. If someone made us uncomfortable, the teachers and nurse and school told us we needed to talk about it, that we could make it stop. We were entitled to privacy and respect. And that's a good message for young girls to hear.
Well, things have changed a bit since you were a kid. As you can see from the Planned Parenthood video for teen sex education below, kids are now taught to not be concerned at all if an adult is looking at them unclothed. In fact, the video makes it seem perfectly "normal" for a young gal to drop her pants in front of a group of boys and girls and have an older man come in, drape his arm around her, and take a peek. What kind of message do you think this sends? Doesn't sound like a good message of privacy and respect to me, let alone safety.

Last edited by doctrain; 02-15-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Well, things have changed a bit since you were a kid. As you can see from the Planned Parenthood video for teen sex education below, kids are now taught to not be concerned at all if an adult is looking at them unclothed. In fact, the video makes it seem perfectly "normal" for a young gal to drop her pants in front of a group of boys and girls and have an older man come in, drape his arm around her, and take a peek. What kind of message do you think this sends? Doesn't sound like a good message of privacy and respect to me, let alone safety.

Kids aren't being taught that.

Young adults, maybe, but kids? no.

The message the video sent was a good one, y ou can't tell if you have an STI simply by looking in all cases.

And I'm of the personal opinion that nudity is truly no big deal.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
I dont have kids and its been a while since Ive been in school. But if this video is accurate then that is very disappointing. Its sad that some here, liberals, dont have an issue with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies