Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle234 View Post
Do you believe that all children who have a black parent, are in fact black? That's interesting... Why don't you acknowledge their non black ancestry as well?
I do believe this, yes. While I do acknowledge their non-black ancestry, I do not believe this disqualifies them from being black. The term "black" encompasses a spectrum of phenotypes (and cultures). You can look like Wentworth Miller or Rashida Jones and still call yourself black.

Quote:
If my husband was white and I had children with him, I'd want them to know about both sides of the family and I'd want them to identify as both.
I agree with that too. I have no problem with someone like Tiger Woods calling himself African American and Thai. My neighbor across the street is African American and German and his wife is Asian. His kids are obviously a mixture of all three. In terms of looks - especially hair - the girls are obviously of African ancestry. I think of my neighbor as black - he does too, though he's a bit ambivalent because he said he was not accepted by blacks as a youth. The kids? They're multiracial, but still of black heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 AM

[quote=ckhthankgod;22990696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
So 'most' of your Black female friends are mulattos?

It is Really amazing to me that Blacks in general, whether male or female 'overlook' Obamas White side![/quote]

It's not overlooking, but there is a socio-historical reality to race in the United States of America. I don't think that mixed slave were enslaved due to being part White and if you think about it, why during segregation did signs say, "Colored" not just "Black" or "Negro"? Even Plessy vs. Ferguson came about due to seating Plessy, who was mixed, on a train. Then, you have this example from Nova Scotia, which occurred before the Rosa Parks incident: Black History Canada - Viola Desmond

So, this isn't just an American thing.

Even in countries where there is a substantial mixed group of African descent, socially, there is a big connection between that group and Blacks in terms of culture, economics and even largely in terms of history.
In Cuba this is true. If you're of obvious or known African ancestry, even if you are very mixed, you are Black.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Nobody overlooks it; it's just that if you're Black, you're Black. He's a Black guy with a white mom.
We have a racially diverse family through adoption. One of my sons has a white biological mom with a black dad. He considers himself black.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
I don't think cops describe people they pull over as mixed.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 AM

365 posts, read 644,709 times
Quote:
Do you believe that all children who have a black parent, are in fact black? That's interesting... Why don't you acknowledge their non black ancestry as well?

If my husband was white and I had children with him, I'd want them to know about both sides of the family and I'd want them to identify as both.
If feel a lot of this has to do with gender. I'm sorry. Not trying to make any claims. But Black men seem to love being Black. They don't see it as a negative. So if they have a mixed child. He has no issue with the child being labeled Black.

Now if you are a Dark Skinned Black woman, and you had a rough life. You probably would want to seek out non-bm to date, and you embrace your child's non-blackness. So you would feel as if you are giving your children. Especially your daughters. A better chance in America.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I don't think cops describe people they pull over as mixed.
Nor the Klan. And I don't think "mixed" people had a leg up over "black" people during Jim Crow either.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
I'm a black woman and I'm curious if most black women tend to identify more so with their race, than gender. For me, it's really a mixture of both. I can't say that I identify with being black more so than being a woman. However, I do know (from speaking to black female relatives & friends) that some actually see race as more salient than gender.

I recall that most black female democrats supported President Obama over Hillary. When asked why, some stated that they identified more with Obama.

Share your thoughts...
If the woman is a democrat, I'm sure she views herself as a twice afflicted victim, and that is only if she is earning a six digit salary in an all female work place, is beautiful, sexy, not gay, healthy and single.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
I really believe it's all about the child's upbringing. If you raise the child to accept and love both sides, they will. Anyhow, I do find it interesting that in most instances, the mixed children of black guys often identify as 'black,' while the mixed children of white men, tend to identify as 'mixed.'
I raised my son to appreciate his biracial heritage, and i sent him to spend summers alternately with my parents and his moms parents. He recognizes who and what he is.

But as far as his personal preference, he considers himself TOTALLY black. Again, i don't know why he does that because i've never asked, but like another poster said, he probably thinks his experience in America more closely resembles mine moreso than his mothers.

This doesn't mean the he rejects his mothers heritage because i know for a fact that he doesn't. He's close to many of his white relatives. But his friendships, the way he conducts himself....even the way he walks and talks reflects a preference for his African American side.

I have to admit, it's a bit uncanny. But it's his life.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
He can self identify as black, but that doesn't change the fact that he's mixed.
I was thinking the same. He can call himself a martian...it doesn't make him one. His genetic make up isn't up for debate.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I was thinking the same. He can call himself a martian...it doesn't make him one. His genetic make up isn't up for debate.
.....and neither is how he chooses to self identify.

Damn, since when in this country does a black person have to PROVE he's black? When did this little development begin? Used to be that if you were a little too swarthy, you might have some problems. Now, a black man can't be black even if he wants to be.

I know when it started. Sometime around November 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies