Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 PM

84 posts, read 57,431 times

Advertisements

I'm a black woman and I'm curious if most black women tend to identify more so with their race, than gender. For me, it's really a mixture of both. I can't say that I identify with being black more so than being a woman. However, I do know (from speaking to black female relatives & friends) that some actually see race as more salient than gender.

I recall that most black female democrats supported President Obama over Hillary. When asked why, some stated that they identified more with Obama.

Share your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle234 View Post
I'm a black woman and I'm curious if most black women tend to identify more so with their race, than gender. For me, it's really a mixture of both. I can't say that I identify with being black more so than being a woman. However, I do know (from speaking to black female relatives & friends) that some actually see race as more salient than gender.

I recall that most black female democrats supported President Obama over Hillary. When asked why, some stated that they identified more with Obama.

Share your thoughts...
So 'most' of your Black female friends are mulattos?

It is Really amazing to me that Blacks in general, whether male or female 'overlook' Obamas White side!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Sadly, yes.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,140 times
Quote:
Hillary overwhelmingly had the black vote, including women, until she screwed it up.

Among black registered Democrats overall, Clinton had a 57 percent to 33 percent lead over Obama......The 26-point difference between black women and men underscores the fact that the nation's vote is divided not only by race, but also by gender....
Poll: Black support helps Clinton extend lead - CNN

And then she lost it...not just once, but twice.
Daniel Koffler: How Hillary Clinton Lost The Black Vote Twice

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Not a woman, but I'm black. I too voted for Clinton in the primary over Obama, although I didn't mind the ultimate outcome.

As for black women, that's an interesting question, but I don't think there is a definitive answer to that question.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
So 'most' of your Black female friends are mulattos?

It is Really amazing to me that Blacks in general, whether male or female 'overlook' Obamas White side!
Nobody overlooks it; it's just that if you're Black, you're Black. He's a Black guy with a white mom.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Hillary overwhelmingly had the black vote, including women, until she screwed it up.

[i]Among black registered Democrats overall, Clinton had a 57 percent to 33 percent lead over Obama......
Was that before or after Obama and his team pulled the 'race card' on Bill Clinton?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 197,879 times
Quote:

Share your thoughts...
Here's who you should identify yourself with...you, and nothing else.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Was that before or after Obama and his team pulled the 'race card' on Bill Clinton?
What race card?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
What race card?
Good Lord .. Google is your friend!

Here is just one link out of thousands.

Feel free to find more!

http://www.hillarygrassrootscampaign.com/2008/06/obama-pulls-race-cardagain.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies