Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,969,275 times

Advertisements

"no loss of energy in trucking"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

But luckily simple logic can make the point in a way many more people can follow. Just think about it, which would be more efficient:

1. Refining gasoline, trucking it to the destination (no loss of energy in trucking), and burning it for energy, or....
Your logic fails. That truck doesn't run on sunshine. If you wanted to come to any conclusions you really need a comprehensive study that is going to take all of these factors into consideration. For example beyond the fuel being used by that truck we have roads and bridges that are being damaged, the asphalt and concrete industries are one of the largest producers of emissions in the country. Consider the fact some of that oil is coming from half way around the world and most of it is from aging wells where there is great deal of energy used to extract it.

Coal is going to have same issue with transportation but since most of it is moved via rail short distances there is far less emissions.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:35 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,944 times
When they make an electric vehicle that'll run 2500 miles non stop like this,call me.

bull hauler, my new buggy at Bar W syndicate - YouTube

Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
when we talk about electric cars im with you. when we talk about smaller vehicles im your guy.
when we talk about wind farms and solar panels replacing nuclear energy, i gota gag, i got engineering friends that point out that green energy cant hold a candle to output capacity of nuclear.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well old Rush spells out pretty good here what libs are all about.

"My grandfather was born in 1893. And he saw more advancement in human technology, quality of life in the first 50 years of his life than had happened in all of human history prior to it.
"

Electric Cars and the Wussification of America - The Rush Limbaugh Show
Electric cars predated the combustion engine. Can't handle competition? Isn't that communism?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when we talk about electric cars im with you. when we talk about smaller vehicles im your guy.
when we talk about wind farms and solar panels replacing nuclear energy, i gota gag, i got engineering friends that point out that green energy cant hold a candle to output capacity of nuclear.
Agreed about that aspect of nuke vs green, however, nuke is a finite resource. So green needs more r&d and we need more diversity happening in energy sectors. Some roads in SC have flashing warning signs operating on solar power alone. Saves money, reduces demand for copper connections/ grid expenses, and offsets the overall demand on the energy equation too heavily leaning on single sources.

I've got gas heat in my house. I also have electric space heaters as needed. I also have a pellet stove I rarely use. Choices are good. Being overly dependent on one thing or another is not good when the gas pipe in the street is OOS or the power for the neighborhood is cut. It empowers customers to make better choices to adapt to reality/ price changes etc. It also distances us from dependence on foreign oil.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
When they make an electric vehicle that'll run 2500 miles non stop like this,call me.
HA! I hear you. But think of it this way-- if I don't need the power of a tractor trailer and find a good electric car that suits my purposes, that means less demand at the pump and cheaper fuel for your rig. Presuming supply and demand rules are in effect. Right? If fuel keeps being needlessly consumed at the rate we are currently gobbling up, how long before you can't drive that rig anymore because fuel is $25 per gallon?

We need to retain that fuel supply for what purposes truly need it. I can't picture a warship operating on green power. Not even for a minute. Massive farm equipment, earth moving rigs-- need that fuel far more than average citizens driving to a convenience store do. Diversity in transportation modes is good. Stepping away from oil addiction as best we can is good. We will always NEED oil. How much is the only thing we can control if empowered to do so.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well old Rush spells out pretty good here what libs are all about.

"My grandfather was born in 1893. And he saw more advancement in human technology, quality of life in the first 50 years of his life than had happened in all of human history prior to it.
"

Electric Cars and the Wussification of America - The Rush Limbaugh Show
Why am I not shocked that you listen to that idiot?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Your logic fails. That truck doesn't run on sunshine. If you wanted to come to any conclusions you really need a comprehensive study that is going to take all of these factors into consideration. For example beyond the fuel being used by that truck we have roads and bridges that are being damaged, the asphalt and concrete industries are one of the largest producers of emissions in the country. Consider the fact some of that oil is coming from half way around the world and most of it is from aging wells where there is great deal of energy used to extract it.

Coal is going to have same issue with transportation but since most of it is moved via rail short distances there is far less emissions.
Hmmm, considering all those trains moving said coal aren't operating on same said coal? Barges toting that coal-- any more coal powered vessels out there? Why is that?

Coal has it's applications. Limited. And must be cleaner. I believe my Senator Manchin has the correct position pushing for clean coal plants for the industry to be more accountable for it's secondary costs.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
HA! I hear you. But think of it this way-- if I don't need the power of a tractor trailer and find a good electric car that suits my purposes, that means less demand at the pump and cheaper fuel for your rig. Presuming supply and demand rules are in effect. Right? If fuel keeps being needlessly consumed at the rate we are currently gobbling up, how long before you can't drive that rig anymore because fuel is $25 per gallon?

We need to retain that fuel supply for what purposes truly need it. I can't picture a warship operating on green power. Not even for a minute. Massive farm equipment, earth moving rigs-- need that fuel far more than average citizens driving to a convenience store do. Diversity in transportation modes is good. Stepping away from oil addiction as best we can is good. We will always NEED oil. How much is the only thing we can control if empowered to do so.
Yeah I agree...IF I could find an electric truck that still got me around decent and I didn't get ripped on the purchase price,I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies