Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Assuming gasoline hits $5 / gallon this spring and summer, and continues upward over the coming years...
It won't deter all driving, but will begin to create demand for less fuel consuming alternatives.

Of course, if we wait for government to take charge and "give" us electric rail - - - we'll have a gigantic system, as promised by the latest candidates - - - scheduled to be finished around 2112, when it's too late.

:-)
Looks at the budget proposed by obama. A bunch of tax rate hikes now and later come the cuts. Much later after he would be out of office. Let somebody else deal with it basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
When a plug in hybrid car with a 50 mile range on electricity and 250 in gas becomes available for less than 8 grand I might buy it. I would use the electric part to drive to the bus station and back and the gas part for longer drives. There is no way I would borrow money for a car.

BTW - I do not consider myself "wussufied" because I might buy a lower performance hybrid car. When I want acceleration, speed and fuel economy I ride a motorcycle.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Makes total sense to me. The people I see driving hybrid/electric cars are indeed wussies. The very kind of person that you'd never expect to see digging under the hood to begin with. On the macro level, it all leads to a nation that is circling the drain (as with every other Liberal policy). But, Democrats and Liberals have no problem with that. In fact, America In Decline™ has been the goal since the Great Society was put in place. They win. We lose.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Well yes I politicized it unnessecarily. But I don't agree with your point either. Modern auto technology is such that it is far superior in terms of the environmental impact than that at the coal burning plant, considering not only emmissions but also the impact of extraction of these resources. And that differential will probably get larger, especially if we pull LG into the equation. Localized combustion will also always be more efficient than centralized combustion.
Providing petroleum products to vehicles, and the infrastructure to do so, involves less impact?

About the efficiencies of local vs centralized, are you basing that on any particular sources? I'm not disputing you out of hand, I'm genuinely curious.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Makes total sense to me. The people I see driving hybrid/electric cars are indeed wussies. The very kind of person that you'd never expect to see digging under the hood to begin with. On the macro level, it all leads to a nation that is circling the drain (as with every other Liberal policy). But, Democrats and Liberals have no problem with that. In fact, America In Declineâ„¢ has been the goal since the Great Society was put in place. They win. We lose.
QUICK: Name ten conservative leaders that have been seen digging under the hood.

Or should we just conclude conservatives are led by wussies?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
QUICK: Name ten conservative leaders that have been seen digging under the hood.

Or should we just conclude conservatives are led by wussies?
Leaders? Who cares about a several thousand elected leaders. I'm talking about the dolt's who buy into the Big Government Green Conspiracy by running out to buy a "green" car because Barack Obama told them to. These are the wussies. Doing what they are told by Cental Planners is the order of the day. Free thought is not an option.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I am amazed how few people think that electric cars are GREEN and produce no pollution. Do people not understand that the electricity still has to be produced in a power plant? 50% of the U.S. electrical power comes from filthy COAL, and even if you scrub the massive amount of pollutant toxins from the smokestacks, you still have to put the endless flow of millions of tons of toxic pollutants SOMEWHERE.

Back to the "green" electric car--after the electricity is produced in a power plant (almost 80% by burning fossil fuels ), it must be transmitted with significant loss over power lines, then stored chemically in the car battery, before being converted back into energy to power the car. How does this process compare in efficiency to simply burning gasoline to power a car?

Is this simply too complicated for the average American to understand?
/\ This

Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Al Gore is your perfect example and all the loons who fly over to their little climate summits in thier private jets. Do as I say not as I do and the "dolt's" eat it up hook line and sinker.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why electric? u mean why not continue to make OPEC rich? gas prices are highly sensitive to consumption.
I just read that elect cars cost more to operate
also where does elect come from?
coal??
Obama has sunk more of our money where we are the ones who lose!
if he cleared the pipe line from Canada it would help us, but oh hell no!
Who made money on that deal??
Obama's pal BUFFET!!
who gets paid TO HAUL COAL!!
If we were allowed to drill for our own oil we would not be paying out the ass
but shi* no!!
No Obama does not want that, but he will shell out our money to Brazil
to buy their oil
what a dumb son of a bitc*
we have prancing around
and his hack, hirelings, and minions sucking it up!
WTF!!???

Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I just read that elect cars cost more to operate also where does elect come from? coal??
Why are you whining about electric cars when your concern is about the source of electricity that is coal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies