Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,471,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen99 View Post
This figure of 41% does not tell the entire story. I suspect if you include illegitimate children born from affairs, this number jumps up.

I'm single and have slept with numerous married women in the past ten years, some of them resulting in pregnancies and babies. The husbands were totally oblivious. I also must add that these women were not trailer trash or ghetto types but middle class wives.
You don't feel like a total sack for doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,406,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I think this topic deserves a thread of its own.

On another discussion it was suggested that abstinence doesn't work as a form of birth control. The statistics tell a different story.

In 1965, before the birth control pill became ubiquitous in this country, out-of-wedlock births were just 5.3%.

By 2009, with artificial contraception firmly entrenched not only as an option but as an obligation, out-of-wedlock births had reached 41.0%

The reason is more than obvious: the contraceptive mentality screams "sex without consequences is OK". Contraception leads to promiscuity, which leads to higher rates of illegitimacy, abortion, STDs and so forth.

Conclusion: abstinence works, contraception is a disaster.
So?

[what's your point?]

Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,063,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
We also had separate drinking fountains in many states and segregated schools.

Perhaps we have evolved in many ways and you refuse to board the train?
Basic civil rights for people was needed just a little more than a what the OP is talking about don't ya think

If you actually believe that what is happening with families today vs 1965 is evolving (nothing to do with gay marriage by the way before I get accused of that) is evolving forward, then you REALLY need help

It appears we went forward with one (civil rights) and far backward in the other ( the family in America)

Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,380,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes and that's a major incentive for deadbeats not to find employment just to have babies and live on the dole.
Sad thing is, there are plenty of deadbeat Fathers around. More and more are being sought out, and having to pay child care, which they should have to begin with.

See making the baby we all know is fun. After, responsibility, which some don't want to be a part of.

Clue, having sex, yes makes babies, don't want the responsibility of a baby, do your self a favor!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,471,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Sad thing is, there are plenty of deadbeat Fathers around. More and more are being sought out, and having to pay child care, which they should have to begin with.

See making the baby we all know is fun. After, responsibility, which some don't want to be a part of.

Clue, having sex, yes makes babies, don't want the responsibility of a baby, do your self a favor!
Takes two to tango!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,585,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen99 View Post
I'm single and have slept with numerous married women in the past ten years, some of them resulting in pregnancies and babies. The husbands were totally oblivious. I also must add that these women were not trailer trash or ghetto types but middle class wives.
Boy, City-Data sure does attract the dregs.

I think you need to be locked in a room with the husbands of these women. Five or ten minutes should do it. I'd pay to be a fly on the wall.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,885,654 times
Quote:
People who don't want any children should not be getting married or having sex at all.

Married couples who want to space their children for legitimate reasons can employ natural family planning.
That's preposterous. You presumption is that the only reason for marriage is procreation, which it is not. But your narrow thinking, elderly couples shouldn't be allowed to marry, as they are beyond their reproductive years and infertile couples shouldn't marry.

I marvel at how those who call themselves conservatives "say" they champion personal freedom but think it is their role to dictate to everyone else what they should so and what is right and proper. How dare conservatives tell everyone else when they should have sex or what is a "legitimate reason" for family planning.

I read these posts here and wonder what century these people live in.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:13 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,771,470 times
Terms like "out of wedlock" - remind me of some Catholic instution where out of shame you would send your daughter who was pregnant to be tormented and abused by nuns...it's dated - woman should not be persecuted because they do not have a state or church sanctioned breeding licence...and fathers who are not formally married should not be given a hard time for not being formally married...Why do people want to make giving birth to human beings so unpleasant and difficult? No wonder the fathers run off with jerks picking on them for not being compliant to the controllers of society...Yes it is better to be formally married...only because you will get persecuted for not being so.....Kind of like paying taxes to keep the parasitic wolves away from the door.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM

76,946 posts, read 47,265,132 times
Quote:
I think this topic deserves a thread of its own.

On another discussion it was suggested that abstinence doesn't work as a form of birth control. The statistics tell a different story.

In 1965, before the birth control pill became ubiquitous in this country, out-of-wedlock births were just 5.3%.

By 2009, with artificial contraception firmly entrenched not only as an option but as an obligation, out-of-wedlock births had reached 41.0%

The reason is more than obvious: the contraceptive mentality screams "sex without consequences is OK". Contraception leads to promiscuity, which leads to higher rates of illegitimacy, abortion, STDs and so forth.

Conclusion: abstinence works, contraception is a disaster.
That is a fairly ignorant conclusion. Do you really think people are having more babies because of contraceptives?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,204,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Contraception, abortions, and conseqence-free sex are as American As Apple Pie to the Liberal establishment. They can't fathom a country that doesn't have pie!
Yes, and none dare call it sin or promiscuity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies