Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times

Advertisements

[quote=kshe95girl;23002288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Um, your comment on "straight pride".
Remember?
Please explain to me why it's just fine and dandy for, "Gay Pride" but there woulld be a problem for straight pride.

I think I know the reason for it and you are not going to like it. The gay community takes straight pride as an attack upon it's self. They think that one can not be proud of being straight except as in the "Im so glad Im not gay"context. That really tells me that there is really a lack of confidence there in that they only tend to see themselves as a foil that is measured against everything, Straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
That you're straight. Why? Sadly, too many people with automatically think you're gay too if your defending the rights (like marriage, etc) of the brothers and sisters in the homosexual community. Thoughts?
Seems even though, the straight community is more likely to be guilty of this than the gay community, the gay community auto assumes to some degree too.
Quote:
The year 2100 will see eugenics universally established. In past ages, the law governing the survival of the fittest roughly weeded out the less desirable strains. Then man's new sense of pity began to interfere with the ruthless workings of nature. As a result, we continue to keep alive and to breed the unfit. The only method compatible with our notions of civilization and the race is to prevent the breeding of the unfit by sterilization and the deliberate guidance of the mating instinct, Several European countries and a number of states of the American Union sterilize the criminal and the insane. This is not sufficient. The trend of opinion among eugenists is that we must make marriage more difficult. Certainly no one who is not a desirable parent should be permitted to produce progeny. A century from now it will no more occur to a normal person to mate with a person eugenically unfit than to marry a habitual criminal.
PBS: Tesla - Master of Lightning: A Machine to End War

Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:

Please explain to me why it's just fine and dandy for, "Gay Pride" but there woulld be a problem for straight pride.
Heterosexuals are the majority. It's assumed everyone is straight until shown otherwise. "Straight Pride" is redundant because you have nothing to fight for.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yeah I agree, the OP makes as much sense as gay people declaring their support for straight people...
???
All I was saying, especially when folks don't know me that well and I do the right thing by defending gay rights, is that I admit I worry that closed minded people will assume I'm gay too, by doing so.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
???
All I was saying, especially when folks don't know me that well and I do the right thing by defending gay rights, is that I admit I worry that closed minded people will assume I'm gay too, by doing so.
I hope you don't think I'm being too personal, but are you really young? When I was young, it was hard not to worry too much about what other people thought, because it's an age when you're still figuring out who you are yourself. As you get older, you're more sure of yourself, and what other people think doesn't bother you any more. Here's how I look at it--it's not a big deal--good or bad--to be gay. If people think I'm gay at first for what ever reason, they'll figure out the truth soon enough. What's the worst thing that could happen if they did mistake you for being gay, and why is that a problem? Are you worried that you'll be teased or feel uncomfortable? Those are the things I'd think through to help you sort out why this is bothering you so much. If you can get to the bottom of why it would bother you, then it's easier to come up with a resolution. Just remember this--when people jump to conclusions about others, it's their problem, not yours.

Hope I'm not being too much of a mom--I have five teenagers at home. Good luck.

You could always say "I'm straight, but I don't get why gay people shouldnt have the same rights as everyone else" and that would set things straight pretty quickly.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM

58 posts, read 135,252 times
I'm straight. I don't care if someone is gay. But I see a big door of **** being Opened on all of us. If the marriage Is legalized, many people will simply marry to share wealth, property, etc. and don't even get me started on birth rates.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
[quote=lucknow;23002152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post

Whaaaa yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I dared to try to organize a "Straight Pride" event I would be branded a bigot, homophobe and worse. There is for sure a double standard at work here. It's fine and dandy to be proud if your gay but if you are proud for being straight you had better keep it to yourself.

By the way, personally I'm against being proud for either orientation. Your measure of self worth should come from who you are not from what group you belong to. That is just another form of tribalism.
If straight people had been oppressed, and forced to stay silent about who they were, at the risk of death/injury/firing/etc - you'd understand where the concept of pride came from, and nobody would mind you organizing a "straight parade." Do you know anything about the history of gay rights, and WHY they started the pride movement? Obviously not.

And to answer the OP, I don't feel the need to mention my orientation (straight) in these debates... but it's true that many assume you're gay if you support gay rights/marriage, so I'll mention my straightness if it seems necessary to do so. Usually it's when people say things like "you gays think WE (straight people) all need to bow to your needs" - and in those cases it's just funny and BAZINGA to tell them I'm actually straight. Needless to say, that's typically where they stop debating me.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:32 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Look, I'm about as far as you can get when it comes to civil liberties for all groups. I believe in quality for all before the law. Having said that I also identify myself as hetrosexual and I'm not ashamed of it one single bit. They make it out to be something really good when someone in the homosexual community "comes out". Is there maybe a different standard for me? There truely is, that's for sure. While the gay community affirms it's self by identifing it's self they want to prohibit me from doing so.
Huh? Who's stopping you from announcing your heterosexuality to everyone you meet? You can have a freakin straight pride parade, for all I care!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Whaaaa yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I dared to try to organize a "Straight Pride" event I would be branded a bigot, homophobe and worse. There is for sure a double standard at work here. It's fine and dandy to be proud if your gay but if you are proud for being straight you had better keep it to yourself.

By the way, personally I'm against being proud for either orientation. Your measure of self worth should come from who you are not from what group you belong to. That is just another form of tribalism.
Exactly right. Did you hear about the gay softball league that was allowed by the courts to ban straight players? I'd love to see the backlash if a league banned gay players....

Judge Rules Gay Softball League Can Limit Straight Players: Fair Play or Foul Ball?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think if you have to run around and claim things aren't rights when they are, then your opinion on the issue should be widly made known so everyone can know who the uneducated are, and what they believe.
Fixed it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies