Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
I doubt any Iranian vessel of any size could come within 20 miles of a U.S. Naval vessel.
The Iranian's have, at last report, 28 diesel electric submarines. Some are old Russian Kilo class, at least one is North Korean, and the rest are produced domestically.

Now...that may not sound like much of a threat to you, but recall that a Chinese diesel electric happened to pop up within striking distance of one our carriers in the Pacific a few years ago while the battle group was conducting anti-submarine maneuvers! Previous to that, a Danish or Dutch diesel electric did the same thing during NATO war games.

That "obsolete" technology is not as obsolete as a lot of people think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Really? How about genocide? You lefties seem to have gotten all fired up about Darfur....
What genocide have they committed?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Iran has every right to do whatever it likes in its country or waters.
Period.
If I were them, I'd be sure to arm myself against the US and Israel.

By this logic, anyone can attack the US if they like, because the US can attack them.

Duh, what absurd logic.
This is the way I see it too....Iran is absolutely none of our business.

They DO NOT have nukes,are open to inspections and on top of it all,they are a sovereign country...let them alone,they are zero threat to us.

Do you really want to send your kids to die in another war for business interests? Do you really want to see thousands upon thousands of innocent people killed again like in Iraq(a place we have trashed beyond the stone age for no reason)?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Just more fear mongering, to start a preemptive war.

This sounds like Iraq all over.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Warhead....

Fear mongering.

People associate it with nuclear warheads.

Not a barrel filled with fertilizer, and some diesel on call.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Well looks like the US is preparing to hit Iran, so we will soon see. I am sure plenty will be happy.

Just look at Brookings Inst and others. They have said Iran attacking would open the gates. So one way or the other The MIC will attempt to make it happen.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Saddam's Iraq was defeated immediately!!!

An occupation force can never force citizens to be submissive. They will always be able to use guerrilla warfare.

Why does Britain no longer rule the planet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Such hubris and underestimation of our enemies has gotten us into trouble before.

The Taliban, Saddam Hussein, the North Vietnamese, Somali warlords and Lebanese militia's were "easy" to defeat too. And, that's just recently. Going back a little further, we could include the Philippine insurrectionist's, the Seminoles, the Confederate states and the British/Canadian's.

How did those work out for ya?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Why does Britain no longer rule the planet?
Because the British people got tired of the cost of Empire.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
First off why would anyone use a nuclear armed torpedo? The water would attenuate a large amount of kinetic energy. I’m more worried about them sneaking one out of their country and into America through one of the many unsecured border crossings.

Regarding the Admiral’s observation. I believe our president would ask for the plan to counter this ability and a detailed risk assessment.
Finally you say something intelligent but end up trusting the man/child in the White House who has supported Iran so long.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I bet their leaders won't be driving them.

They aren't stupid, they are pushing as far as they can, then they'll back down. They don't want to end up whipped off the map, and thats what is going to happen if this course is pursued.

I think we should leave Iran the hell alone, and let the Arab league deal with them. Israel would be smart if they did the same.

Saudi Arabia and most of the Arab countries don't want Iran with the bomb either.

Even a nuclear Iran poses no threat to the United States. One bomb used would be the last thing they ever did, period.
I will take it for granted that you know nothing about the threat of an EMP. One would be all it takes to wipe out much of the ability of this nation to defend itself. Also you happen to live a bit too close to where the EMP is to be detonated when it happens. Look into the thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies